How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Restore the pasting of tab separated text into columns from an HTML <pre> block and web data feed that has been removed from v16.0.7927.1020

When using data/from web or pasting a table from word or pasting an HTML <pre> block from a web page the tab separated data used to get automatically placed into columns. With v16.0.7927.1020 this has stopped - all the data goes into one column. There remains the option (checked by default) to do this when ingesting data from the web, but it no longer happens. When ingesting data from a web feed, you can't use the "paste as text" option to achieve this effect, so this change in behaviour has effectively broken our application's reporting facility. It still works in v16.0.7369.2055.
There's discussion at: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/mso_2016-msoffice_excel/excel-ignoring-tabs-when-pasting-from-word/41efb3fd-87a6-4e58-9ad0-8c45aa057771?rtAction=1494980512165 giving clear steps to reproduce.

If there is a workaround or setting to change in the spreadsheet, this would be invaluable. Ideally, though, a fix in the next update would be best. Or maybe add a setting in the next update.

12 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tim at OCLCTim at OCLC shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Guy HunkinGuy Hunkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tim,

I'll be glad if you can share more details about your scenario. What is it that you are trying to achieve? Best if you start a new discussion on this on answers.microsoft.com and share the link to this discussion with me here.

Guy
        - Excel Team

• Tim at OCLCTim at OCLC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you, Microsoft, for acknowledging the initial problem.
        Can we talk about the more fundamental problem that we discovered in a subsequent update that I cannot work around, please?

"At the moment we're having authentication problems with our requirement - before we even get to the problem reported here."

None of the suggested workarounds - to paste differently or setup the initial data differently - will ever apply to receiving data "From Web" and the http-basic authentication issue we're suffering from will prevent it even getting the data in the first place.
        I've been trying to get this followed up and it got so promising when @OfficeSupport on Twitter asked me to follow so we could DM - but that was on June 8th and I have heard nothing since.
        I have a test URL and account all ready to refer you to in order to investigate.

On June 8th, @OfficeSupport suggested that I follow then so we could DM and progress the investigation. I followed them the very next day, but I have heard nothing from them, despite several attempts to follow-up.
        Are they ignoring me deliberately? That would be nice to know, if nothing else.

At the moment we're having authentication problems with our requirement - before we even get to the problem reported here.

PLEASE please - talk to me, Microsoft. I cannot investigate this as I do not have access to why Excel thinks the authentication has failed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also been having this problem for a while now, have been putting up with it till now but its beginning to cause major problems for me in work.

One workaround I've found is to paste special as Unicode text, but obviously you lose all formatting doing it this way. It helped me in the short term but its still a massive pain having to reformat the data.

I find it hard to believe that this was raised here on the 17th May and there's yet to be a single official response. Shocking from Microsoft.

• FredFred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Just found this place and I'm not sure I'll find my way back so let me put my .02 cents in here ... I'm the original poster of this problem in the Microsoft Community back on May 3 ... I just updated again, to version 1705 (Build 8201 2102) Symptom remains. Really, it takes 30 seconds to reproduce this bug ... How long does it take to fix ... subsequent postings in community offer clues as to when it started ... PLEASE HELP!

This is not good. I've just seen a completely different dialogue from a colleague following the Data / From Web... process and we could not get that to work at all unless we remove authentication from the web service. As the web service may be providing sensitive data, we cannot remove authentication (currently http-basic) completely.
        I'm using the same version of Excel, but I still get the dialogue with which I am familiar. How do I get the new dialogue/wizard/ribbon/... ?

• PuddlesPuddles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tested this and it was so irritating.
        Much of the work I do will be affected by this and will make some of it now darn tootin' difficult.
        Now I'll have to do a workaround, less time actually doing my job and more time working out how to do it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base