Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

WE NEED! Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) in combination with the Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard in Word

WE NEED! Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) in combination with the Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard in Word. Formatting columns as text to make this work correctly (ie, Zip + 4) is ridiculous!

61 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sheri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, I saw a comment not too long ago that said to save the Excel file as a CSV and then it will retain formatting. I did try this with great success! Thank you to whomever it was that informed us. Works like a charm. Until this, I had retained my old workstation to boot up and use whenever I had MailMerges to perform with currency and percentages. Hope this helps!

• FromExcel dotUservoicedotCom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

rather than using DDE, I found it much easier to change the merge field using "Switches" (toggle field codes and editing that in the Word template) :
        http://iits.haverford.edu/documents/mail-merges-formatting-numbers-in-a-merge-field/

and for percentage formatting (see final comment near bottom:)
        https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/25019607/Mail-Merge-from-Excel-Format-Percent-using-Switches.html

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to mail merge numbers (with commas) and percentages from Excel into Word. The percentage feature in the article doesn't work.

MY MacBook Air Hangs repeatedly while using excel. Especially when using " Fill colour " option

Hi,

I have Mac book Air. It hangs repeatedly while using excel.
        especially when using fill colour option.

• Louise Marston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mail merge used to be so simple. I am really struggling to do it today - help!! Just need a simple step by step guide please

• Hans-Peter Wandera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need it for our main work in my company. If it is not included we never update our office Package to a newer Version in the whole company...

• FromExcel dotUservoicedotCom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY do you make it so difficult to keep formatting between MICROSOFT products? It was bad enough when I had to use DDE so that my letters would have proper currency formatting with commas and decimals etc. Now it won't even allow THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!
        SERIOUSLY, WHY DO YOU MAKE IT SO DIFFICULT? This is why I won't use Microsoft products at home. You keep making them worse and harder to use.

Office without DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) is totally worthless!! We need this feature in the next office package for merging Data from Excel to Word. All the other conecctions are to complicated for the normal office workers!!

• Marechal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To do a merge between Excel 2016 and word 2016 and have a DDE liaison, you have to save the Excel File in CSV and you will be able to have a Word document with good formats.
        Jean

Or we need some reasonable way of maintaining formatting. Having to change the format every time a field appears in Word, instead of just the one time in Excel, is not reasonable. Frankly, it should not ever have been necessary to do anything other than a normal mail merge in the first place. Merged data should appear, by default, exactly as it does in the source. If someone wants to change that, then they can do something different, like DDE, cartwheels while on fire, whatever.

• Sjaak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore DDE or a similar solution. It is essential for us to retain the Excel format in a Word mailmerge, especially for dates and amounts (in euro's). The solution in Word (to add the format in the field) is too cumbersome and makes the Word document too complex.

PLEASE restore this feature. I have many many forms that I merge data with dates and accounting information daily. PLEASE

• Nikki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without DDE, currency doesn't show up correctly in a mail merge. Try writing bonus letters to employees and you have to manually enter all the money individually!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely need DDE in combination with the mail merge wizard! Not having this functionality negatively impacts my work with multiple customer lists. This will cost me literally hours of time I don't have in order to do something that had been automatic in the past. I followed the steps in "Prepare your Excel 2016 data source for a Word mail merge", but they did not solve the problem. Eliminating DDE was most definitely NOT an improvement at all. Please bring it back!

Wish I had not had to upgrade ... not having this is definitely a step backward in a big way!!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base