Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Fix scroll bug in Excel when using touch screen or track pad - cells glitch and pulled too far - duplicates rows with freeze pane

There is a bug when using Excel with my touch screen or trackpad on my windows 10 laptop.

The cell grid is allowed to be pulled down from the ribbon bar or to the right of the row numbers bar when scrolling down or right using the screen or trackpad.

This is manageable graphic bug for a normal spreadsheet, but when freeze panes are active on the sheet, the scrolling results in the "fixed" cells being pulled from underneath and appearing duplicated (see image attached).

When I plug in a USB mouse and scroll, this issue does not appear.

I am running the latest version of Office 365 (2016, 64 bit).

Microsoft Word pulls down extra only when using the touch screen - the trackpad and mouse work as normal (they don't allow me to scroll further than the bar). PowerPoint has no sign of this bug.

I have tried numerous fixes and completed a chat with the Microsoft support team and have no fix. Tried turning off animations in Windows, disabling graphics hardware acceleration in excel, reinstalling, installing Office 2013 etc. There are no add-ins or macros enabled within Excel and happens in all workbooks and sheets.

If anyone has a fix, it would be greatly appreciated!

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andy C shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jesus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all, maybe this can help someone. I myself have had this issue on 4 different HP Elitebooks 830 G5 laptops, brand new out of the box. After tons of troubleshooting i came across 2 different solutions.
    1st solution: I had one file that was consistently giving me this problem. once I converted the file to the latest version of excel it fixed my issue. In excel 2016/2019 go to File(top left hand corner), make sure Info is highlighted, on the right hand side you should get a box that says "convert". Click that and you're good to go. As i did some further reading, Microsoft released some features on the new versions of excel that do not play nice with older file versions.
    2nd Solution: I had a different file with tons of formulas and macros. Also, consistently gave me the freezing issue. For this one i had to disable external content data connections. Please follow below steps then restart excel.
    1. Click the File, and then click Options.
    2. In the left pane, click Trust Center.
    3. In the right pane, click Trust Center Settings, and then click External Content.
    4. Under Security settings for Data Connections, click Disable all Data Connections

• Barry McCauley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my tests, it appears to be (for me) related to screen scaling.
    I have a 4K laptop screen that has 250% windows scaling. With those settings, I get this issue.

If I use mouse/keyboard, no problem. Only if I use touch/taskpad.

If I change the resolution down to 1920x1080 and set scaling to 125%, no problems using touch/taskpad.

(I tried turning Excel hw accel off, no impact)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still a problem. Some developer at some point obviously thought this was cool. It absolutely is NOT, and is distracting and VERY annoying. Even more annoying that it can't be turned off!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem too. Only happens on my PC. The Mac does not have this problem. Would love to hear if anyone has a fix.

• Laurits commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please some one fix this... the animations were ****... but at least managable (turned them off!) but that scroll bug is so distracting and silly... Doesn't microsoft use testers? It's the little things that make a product great.

Feedback and Knowledge Base