Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher.

Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher. The white theme is too bright. Please fix this awful problem. I am an accountant and I must use Excel desktop due to the size of my files. Your GIANT step backwards in icons is incomprehensible. Please give us a theme with the 2010 Excel colors and excellent definition.

163 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sblack shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

129 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With release version 1902 the colors are gone again, even with the white theme and the icons are all so similar. Please give us back an option for toolbar colors.

RE: "Quick Access toolbar regained its colours if you select 'white' in 'office theme' for the 'personalize your copy of MS' in Excel options." by Anon.
    Thank you! This was driving me nuts. I didn't remember doing anything to make the QAT icons so difficult to see. What was MS thinking?

One solution -> I found the Quick Access toolbar regained its colours if you select 'white' in 'office theme' for the 'personalize your copy of MS' in Excel options.

Still very frustrating having to spend time tring to find a solution to an obvious stuff up on MS's part.

• Keyser Soze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Agree, as well. ICONs are suppose to a way to select quickly. MS effed up the ICONs. Probably a bunch of liberals working there.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. MS has taken one step forward and THREE steps back with their User Interface

• A Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. Put the color back to the QAT or give us the option to have it be white or the prior version. Putting the QAT below the ribbon doesn't help much because you still can't distinguish what the icons are, they all look the same now (e.g., Save, Save As, Publish to PDF, etc.) Pushing out this update has caused my system to be slow as well..

OK Microsoft, this has been going on for months and you're clearly not listening, so I've downgraded to an older version of office and switched off automatic updates. I will never purchase a 365 product from you again.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C'mon guys, give MS a break here!

They are actually on the leading edge of things.

I've been reading that Facebook, Imgur, Instagram, Pinterest, all the biggies in pictures... are planning to follow suit and convert everything loaded into their sites from incredible color-depth, mega-pixel, bright, colorful, information intensive images into the same kind of line art laid on a washed out and darkening background that MS has been using here.

Apparently, people will get used to it, and accept it is all they can have. Sure, just like with these "icons" they may find there is almost no utility to them and stop using them, but that won't make the decision to make them like this wrong, no, no, it just means the billions of people who want color and value to them are wrong, and more so, wrong-headed, pig-headed, and not visionary at all.

Of course, since no one can (I mean "will", surely I do) use them anymore, they will be easy to deprecate and then make disappear altogether. Who needs functionality like that anyway? Just the elite with their "I need something the masses don't" mentality! We should all be ashamed and be more accepting of the "one shoe fits not just both feet, but all feet" mentality.

I already commented once a few months ago, but I want to revisit because it's still a daily issue for me. I saw one response that we would "get used" to the new icons.
    I work in Word and Excel for several hours every day, and the lack of color in these icons to distinguish them from each other still slows me down.

PLEASE listen to your users, and at least make it an optional setting to turn color back on!

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want colors back in the QAT. Note I also still miss the ability to make my own icons from Office 2003! The selection that is offered is inadequate for people who want to use the programs ability to customize and increase efficiency!

Wayne Erfling is right. Not only is the color scheme a step backwards but their decision to move from a MDI to a SDI format is a huge detriment to usability for any advanced user of the program. What to work on three related spreadsheets at the same time? Your desk had better be large enough for three screens. Stupid.

• Wayne Erfling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two of my colleagues were at a conference last week, and part of what they came back with was an assertion that developers should deliver not what users want, but what the developers "know" they need.

I've been in software development for over forty years, but this perversion of the idea of innovation has only crept in within the last 10-15 years. I believe Steve Jobs is one of the messiahs of this idea about developers delivering what THEY want.

My current iconic example is the NEST thermostat, which limits how you can control your home's temperature, how much history you can see and how much developers using their API can in turn display via their third-part apps (if the API is even available anymore).

I'm confident that just as the NEST developers know how to heat and cool my home, the Microsoft developers "know" what's best for us in our applications.

(switching ribbon tabs constantly still drives me just about as crazy as the limited choice of icons and colors)

Fully agree the new presentation is a step backwards hopefully MS will see and hear our feedback
    Terry

• Mike Thiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is too big to listen to their users. Why they ever changed this and will not go back is just plain arrogance.

• Hannah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please put this feature back, it is ridiculous it was taken away!!!!!!!!
    Also, have the colors for the icon work above the ribbon, therefore, you have more room for the spreadsheet itself.

• Papa Golf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the new (lack of) color scheme is miserable. I can't tell what the icon means half of the time. What idiot thought that this was a improvement. Hate it. Looks like I'm back in a DOS environment.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just ridiculous. We should be able to choose if we want colors or these super user unfriendly icons. I have no problems with my eyes but its really difficult to use the new icons. It should be QUICK access bar - now I am always double checking before I click

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide the option to use colorful icons or the high contrast plain white icons on the Quick Access toolbar.

Custom Icons would be a nice addition as well.

• Kevin Cognito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Put the colour back in the quick access icons. 2016 icons are awful!
    Re Jeff Carno's comment below : I am a long-standing business user of MS Office suite. I now have a stand alone copy of Office 2016 for Mac. The reason I am visiting this site is because the quick access toolbar does NOT show colours so don't waste your money.
    Even worse is that access to the Ribbon is totally forbidden to users. It says "This feature is only available if you have an Office 365 Subscription." Clearly MS are not a John Lewis (UK) of this world, more of a well-known Airline on the European side of the pond, effectively waving two fingers at their customers.
    I actually purchased a 365 subscription last year, only to discover that the multi-criteria search facility in Outlook that had been there since 1989, didn't work. This was and is a vital requirement for me as I have 1,000’s of emails going back in excess of 10 years that I need to search. After several attempts to get this corrected, one of their more honest or more knowledgeable people told me that this was a known fault in 365. I therefore had it removed by MS themselves which took weeks as they then had to completely rebuild my PC system as installing/uninstalling 365 had completely ruined it (there is a much stronger Anglo-Saxon word for what they did to me).
    So, in summary, Office 365 didn't work properly and now a single product has severe weaknesses and things that were there are no longer there. Definitely a much poorer product than beforehand.
    I don't want to move from MS but I shall be looking for an alternative from now on.

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the "dark gray" (sic) colour scheme, there is no colour at all in the quick access toolbar and barely any in the ribbon.
    If I choose the white colour scheme, there is a fair bit of colour in the ribbon, though nothing like the earlier versions of Windows and Word. The other scheme looks exactly the same, though I'm sure there must be a difference somewhere.
    For me, it's the "brilliant white everything that isn't grey" *attitude*, not just in Word, but in the whole of Windows. And, for that matter, Android, any Google pages, ITunes and Apple software, it's not just MS stuff, it's endemic. EBay have gone white and when you try to send a message to a supplier, it disappears completely (white text in a white box)
    And the ones that are "grey everything that isn't white", showing grey text in a grey box, where the calibration of your monitor is crucial to actually reading anything at all.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base