How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Paste Special - Add a numeric field when using one operation

Via the Paste Special we can operate on a range of values. However, to do, for instance, a multiplication, we first need to use a cell for it. As an option I would like to see that we can instead add a number to the Paste Special dialog as the attached screen shot shows.

44 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dennis M WallentinDennis M Wallentin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DGPDGP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I voted because this would save time in about 50% of cases I use Paste Special Add/Subtract/Multiply/Divide to apply a single value. Normally, I have to enter the value, copy, Paste Special, then clear the copied cell.

However, in the other 50% of cases I'm pasting a range or a formula that must be copied directly from a range or cell. As long as this is an added feature and doesn't take away from the ability to copy from a cell or range it sounds great.

• WayneWayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

most often this is a one time use; incorporating this value (and forcing to numeric of the exact precision entered) is a great idea for time saver and ensuring accuracy for all paste special operations

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the paste special, Multiply feature all of the time. This would make things so much quicker, and user friendly.

• Dennis M WallentinDennis M Wallentin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kenneth,

Like many other users, You have not yet discovered this feature.

Assume You've have a budget that need to be increased with 10 %. The easiest way is to:

- Enter 10 % in an empty cell
        - Copy
        - Paste Special operation, in this case Multiplying.
        - Done!

Instead of using a cell in the worksheet a numeric field as per screen shot will make it smoother. Give it a try and You will soon find out its value :-)

• Kenneth BarberKenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why use the Paste Special window for this if you have nothing to paste? Why not just suggest for this to be done in its own separate window after right-clicking on your selected range?

Just use formulas. I'm not even sure why there are Paste Special options for adding and multiplying.

Feedback and Knowledge Base