Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Text Highlight Color in Excel as in Word

When a text with a background Highlight Color is copied from Word to Excel the text highlight color behind the character(s) is removed. You could expand in the Excel ribbon with a text highlight color button, which becomes active when a text is edited in a cell.

4 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wiens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to convince my manager to use excel instead of word with a table to automate the daily report but I cannot highlight the text in question in exel

• Wiens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Highlight Color can be used in a cell to automate with for example with a macro to check misplaced/corrupt digits/characters/brackets/points and commas in numbers etc. So that large Excel files can be checked fast on errors by automation.

• Wiens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Drawing manually using an inking pen on an Excel sheet is old fashion and too slow. If there is a button for the Text Highlight Color it can be recorded and activated with a VBA macro. One can also use the CELL infotype function to analyse highlighted texts easily then when it's inked with pen on the sheet, because the CELL function doesn't support the INK tools.

• CarolinM-L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Excel 2013 there is a feature called Inking where you can somewhat highlight text in a cell. This feature includes a pen, highlighter and an eraser with a limited selection of colors to choose from.

Go to the REVIEW tab, the last group is Ink. Click on the Start Inking icon and a new INK TOOLS section appears with a PENS tab.

Requires a somewhat steady hand but as an alternative it works pretty good. I hope it helps.

Feedback and Knowledge Base