Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Find something - info in which cell is searched string

If user use Find and Replace window Excel is moving sheet to place where it find what user search for. But for user is hard to find in which cell is searched string. Excel only give green box to inform user about cell. Can next to "Find what:" show user cell name where the searched string is f.i. "C41"

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kamil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    already supported  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

Hi,

To see the locations where the info you wanted to find exists, you can try these two things:

If you just want to look for one cell, then the upper left corner of the app (to the left of the formula bar) will show you where the value was found in the grid (C41) for instance.

If you want to see a list of locations where the value you are looking for exists, press Find All instead of just Find. Excel will show you a list of all the locations that contain the value you searched for.

In the future, the Excel Tech Community is a great place to ask questions like this.

Hope that helps
    Dan [MS]

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently have Excel for Mac 2016 version 15.34, and on a daily basis I work in spreadsheets containing thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) of rows of data, and some have over 30 columns, to boot.

In Excel for Mac 2011, any time a search was performed and multiple results turned up, ALL cells containing search results would be highlighted (i.e. every time you hit "Find Next," the next cell would be highlighted, too). Due to that highlighting, I was able to find the cells i needed instantly.

Noted that the address(es) of the cells containing the search result(s) is noted in box to left of formula bar in Excel 2016. However, when there are multiple search results, I waste a truly unacceptable amount of time weeding through thousands of rows trying to manually locate those cells, based off their addresses in that box.

Can this be fixed??

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can click Find All to get the addresses of all matching cells.

Also, that "green box" is Excel selecting the matching cell. Unless you have View tab → Headings checked off, you can always just look at the row and column headings to determine the address of the cell.

I would think that knowing the location of your match would be more important than knowing its address.

Feedback and Knowledge Base