How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Power Query - cache shared nodes

Update Power Query in Excel to take advantage of caching in cases where a parent node refers to a child node that has already been refreshed (as exists in Power BI desktop today).

This issue creates significant performance problems with refresh times when creating highly interdependent financial and operational models. This is a show stopper from a usability and customer acceptance standpoint.

691 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Josh BlackmanJosh Blackman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason SettleJason Settle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Refresh is a major trip up for overall business adoption of PQ-->PP solutions for excel in my company.

• Josh BlackmanJosh Blackman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with Ken Puls’ comment on 20 July 2017. When I posted the idea I didn’t understand the full scope of the problem and defined the issue way too narrowly. Please fix any and all issues affecting the performance of Power Query and Power Pivot refresh times (seek and destroy mission).

Request to the site admin, please change the name of the idea: Make Power Query (Get Data) faster!!!

This is the biggest issue I have in my day to day work. Not the biggest Excel issue, not the biggest IT issue, the single largest issue I have in being productive and delivering meaningful results for my business. Please help us, give us a better sword to slay the dragons. Priority up and lets do this!

• Ken PulsKen Puls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing I wish we could do is rename this to "improve performance in Power Query", and not just limit this to the scope of one issue. This particular one is a problem, for sure, but there are many others, like this one http://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/07/20/sql-query-folding-bug-still-alive-sucking-powerbi-powerquery-excel/

Right now we need a considerable focus put on improving performance anywhere and everywhere it can be improved. I think many of the comments on this thread to date are made with this view in mind, but wanted to vocalize it myself.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please. I have lots of reports I need Power Query to feed and they just are feasible because they are dreadfully slow to upload.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

using work around because of speed, amazing tool but users feel frustrated when they have to walk away and wait for querys to cycle.

• Imke FeldmannImke Feldmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Excel Team,
        as far as I can see, this issue is on 3rd rank in Excel for Windows and on 7th rank in Excel over all. Wondering how much more we need to overcome the priority-threshold here?
        Thx - Imke

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my biggest challenge using PQ and an impediment to getting others in my organization on the PQ bandwagon. Please fix.

• Jes HansenJes Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power Query + Power pivot in Excel = Great show starter
        Slow refreshing in PQ + crashing in PP = Bad show stopper

Customers are actively rejecting the PQ + PP combination because of this and since some investment has already been allocated in the process before realizing the facts some badwill is returned towards Micorsoft and the consultants involved. A sound ROI would be much better for all those involved. PLEASE FIX THIS

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PQ is an amazing tool and has revolutionised financial modelling within our organisation. However, we have had to stop using PQ solutions due to the refresh speed. This needs to be fixed urgently.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base