How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Power Query - cache shared nodes

Update Power Query in Excel to take advantage of caching in cases where a parent node refers to a child node that has already been refreshed (as exists in Power BI desktop today).

This issue creates significant performance problems with refresh times when creating highly interdependent financial and operational models. This is a show stopper from a usability and customer acceptance standpoint.

1,452 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Josh Blackman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

172 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In some cases when I refresh a power query, even my Skype hangs up... The features are really cool, that's why I keep trying to use it, but the performance unfortunately still is way below what I would expect in terms of refresh speed.
        The benefit of not having to do repetitive clean up activities is pretty much absorbed by the time my PC is blocked. Microsoft, please help and make this Excel feature more usable!

• Denis Kostin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure that Microsoft experts will be able to optimize the query code. However, almost certainly there will be users with very massive models that update very long. Please add the possibility of using distributed computing to process Power query queries.
        It would be very cool if we will be able to configure in a simple interface wich of colleagues computers in the local network (and maybe on the Internet), whose resources can be used to speed up the calculation. And when processing requests, use avialable resources together.

• Matt B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why kill a great feature before it even gets traction?!! Please Please Please fix before the year is up!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My client requested I provide the solution using Excel because they do not have knowledge of Power BI (but I sensed also a fear of working with a new and unknown software). The terrible performance in refreshing the data in Excel is rendering my project practically useless. This issue should be resolved.

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Please release this year! We REALLY need this improvement Microsoft!!!

• PW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company standard is Qlikview but because of "cost" issues is only available to senior management. I would love to recommend an alternative for operational management but am embarrassed to push PowerPivot analytics with the dead horse of Power Query behind it. 5 minutes refresh is not acceptable for 100k rows. Really, really hope this step forward gives the speed increase that is desperately needed. (QlikView update is like lightning)

• Martin G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heard it this morning: a global sigh of relief as this message dropped into our inboxes. Our credibility at work can be restored. Any dates yet? #cheekymonkey

• Josh Blackman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the motion. What a Great Day - L’CHAIM!!!!

My doctor and my boss will finally get their wish. Blood pressure down . . . productivity up.

Thanks to the Microsoft product team for making this a priority.

• Sergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I propose January 18, as the International Day of Power Query and the M Language.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base