How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Power Query - cache shared nodes

Update Power Query in Excel to take advantage of caching in cases where a parent node refers to a child node that has already been refreshed (as exists in Power BI desktop today).

This issue creates significant performance problems with refresh times when creating highly interdependent financial and operational models. This is a show stopper from a usability and customer acceptance standpoint.

377 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Josh BlackmanJosh Blackman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Imke FeldmannImke Feldmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For recursive operations like an explosion of a Bill of materials table the performance difference between Power Query in Excel and PowerBI is vast: http://wp.me/p6lgsG-wV . Very hard to see what's possible in PowerBI with the same code that hopelessly fails in Excel. Please give us the power here as well!

• Imke FeldmannImke Feldmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect there is more to the performance problems than shared nodes, but this would definitely be a good start! Full support from me.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really a big issue. I have queries in my company which i have to start over night because of the time consumption...

• Chris HigginsChris Higgins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed all around with refresh times. Could be internal server issues, but filtering and sorting when dealing with greater than 50K+ rows results in significant latency. In regards to display, when creating pivot tables, a more user friendly interface would be great when filtering between stacked pivot options (possible dropdown option on face of pivot). I would love to see an enhanced ability for excel to identify chronologies in pivot tables, i.e. when utilizing dates as headers, 1/15 would always be listed before 1/2. This would simply reduce the need for manual manipulation by users.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love Power Query.

My Power Query routines are getting more complex and handling larger data sets.

It would be very helpful to have faster query response time.

• Wyn HopkinsWyn Hopkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power Query is blowing users minds when they see it in action, refresh speed in Excel however can be unacceptably slow. Any improvements in this area would be greatly welcomed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base