Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Allow saving filters

As a biz user, we filter sheets all the time ... and very often run through switching filters repeatedly. I mean that given a multiple columns, we might filter a few columns to see what the data says then someone else using the sheet may filter differently, and then we want to return to the original set of filters.

The feature request is to save a snapshot of the filter choices with a name, so that users can prepare several combinations of filters and switch between them easily.

This is particularly useful when the underlying data changes.

Essentially, as a MS Access user I do this alot with my sets of queries that I can run anytime, but many users are not MS Access savy and I see alot of wasted time for these users painstakingly setting filters repeatedly.

Thanks!

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rivan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
already supported  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

Hi Rivan,

If you are using AutoFilters for your filters, check out “Custom Views” which are accessible on the View ribbon, and allow you to save your filter settings.

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an alternative, add 1 column to your table for every set of filter settings that you want to save. Write a formula for each new column that evaluates to either TRUE or FALSE based on your filter conditions. Then you just filter this single column for TRUE rather than filter many columns.

Feedback and Knowledge Base