Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Bring back parentheses for negative number formatting

Bring back parentheses for negative number formatting as in previous excel versions

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
already supported  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

Using parentheses for negative number formatting is still supported by Excel (just like in previous versions).

To use it:
1. Select the cells/range you want to use parentheses when negative.
2. Press Ctrl+1 to bring up the Format Cells dialog (or on the Ribbon, click on the Number format drop down, then select “More Number Formats…”)
3. On the Number tab of the Format Cells dialog, select the Number category, and then one of the number formats that uses parentheses for negative numbers.

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Excel 365 with constant updates, and the negative in parenthesis is NOT an option. I am in Canada if that helps. I have to constantly attempt to create custom number to make this work, and that format will not stay saved. I require this format for my studies. Please assist and give a proper fix.

Thanks

• Gosia Skorek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the Number tab of the Format Cells dialog there are 4 options for negative numbers currently:

-1234 black
    1234 red
    -1234 black. (second time what for?)
    -1234 red

Please help. We have to show negative numbers in parenthesis in my school. Yesterday I sent my weekly project, not sure if it will be accepted.

I bought Office 1016 student and home just last week.

Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base