Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Fill Handle For Worksheet Copy

If I have a worksheet called January and I Ctrl+Drag that sheet to make a copy, Excel should automatically call it February. Use the same logic as the Fill Handle (support months, weekdays, and any custom list).

100 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bill Jelen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Geoff Lilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My workaround for this is clunky, but it gets the job done. I created a user form that queries the custom lists object, and then loads them into a combo box. Click the button, and the sheets Get created.

• Tanveer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are beauty I have learnt lot of things from your side on youtube recently I got slected as an administrator. Thanks Mr excel.

• hutokn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be very helpful and I and others would use it regularly.

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Edwin's generalization below, but I don't agree with the original suggestion. Having many similar sheets is generally bad spreadsheet design. Reasons:

• You have to select all of your similar sheets before you make changes to the "template" design, otherwise some sheets will have the change and others won't.

• Your file is only good for 1 year if you won't want to have sheets like May 2015, May 2016, etc. If you keep multiple years in 1 file, you will have a ridiculous number of similar sheets, but if you make annual files, then summarizing information across the annual files (e.g. perform a "past 12 months" summary in July) will be difficult and slow and you risk having your external file links break if the annual files change folder.

• If you are performing an annual summary within an annual file, you either need to get values from many sheets individually (e.g. January!A1+February!A1+…), which makes for a long formula, or you use 3D references (e.g. SUM(January:December!A1)), in which case you have to make sure that no sheets other than the monthly ones are in the range January:December, not even a quarterly report or a second sheet of monthly data (e.g. a data sheet and a graph sheet).

The main reason why you would want monthly sheets is so that you don't have to enter the month each time you enter a value that belongs to a month. Instead, you just find the correct sheet. I address that in my suggestions linked below:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10719492-pivottable-able-crosstab-data-entry
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/12555441-data-entry-in-pivottables

• Edwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea; should be implemented with all custom lists (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter for example)

• James Moede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. As an accountant, I am always copying sheets and renaming for the month or a date.

Feedback and Knowledge Base