Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Fill Handle For Worksheet Copy

If I have a worksheet called January and I Ctrl+Drag that sheet to make a copy, Excel should automatically call it February. Use the same logic as the Fill Handle (support months, weekdays, and any custom list).

88 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bill Jelen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Geoff Lilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My workaround for this is clunky, but it gets the job done. I created a user form that queries the custom lists object, and then loads them into a combo box. Click the button, and the sheets Get created.

• Tanveer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are beauty I have learnt lot of things from your side on youtube recently I got slected as an administrator. Thanks Mr excel.

• hutokn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be very helpful and I and others would use it regularly.

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Edwin's generalization below, but I don't agree with the original suggestion. Having many similar sheets is generally bad spreadsheet design. Reasons:

• You have to select all of your similar sheets before you make changes to the "template" design, otherwise some sheets will have the change and others won't.

• Your file is only good for 1 year if you won't want to have sheets like May 2015, May 2016, etc. If you keep multiple years in 1 file, you will have a ridiculous number of similar sheets, but if you make annual files, then summarizing information across the annual files (e.g. perform a "past 12 months" summary in July) will be difficult and slow and you risk having your external file links break if the annual files change folder.

• If you are performing an annual summary within an annual file, you either need to get values from many sheets individually (e.g. January!A1+February!A1+…), which makes for a long formula, or you use 3D references (e.g. SUM(January:December!A1)), in which case you have to make sure that no sheets other than the monthly ones are in the range January:December, not even a quarterly report or a second sheet of monthly data (e.g. a data sheet and a graph sheet).

The main reason why you would want monthly sheets is so that you don't have to enter the month each time you enter a value that belongs to a month. Instead, you just find the correct sheet. I address that in my suggestions linked below:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10719492-pivottable-able-crosstab-data-entry
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/12555441-data-entry-in-pivottables

• Edwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea; should be implemented with all custom lists (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter for example)

• James Moede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. As an accountant, I am always copying sheets and renaming for the month or a date.

Feedback and Knowledge Base