Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Enable user to pin Folders to the recent lists for Open and Save As

** Please bring back functionality from the old Microsoft Office suites (not just xls).

** For alphabetic sorting of files in the recent lists, please don't vote here. Instead, see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10261443-recent-files-pane-in-excel-2013-was-pretty-good-b

Specifically: it is useful to have a list of recently-accessed folders from which to open files. Such folders were available on the older versions of Microsoft (MS) Office, but not in the 2016 “upgrade”. (i.e. MS Office 2016 contains only a list of the recently opened files.)

Constantly having to navigating BACK to a recently used folder to open / save a file is very annoying.

I'm not the only one seeking a return of the "recently-used" folders.
See: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-excel/how-to-show-recently-used-folders-on-save-as/6d263530-f7be-434a-a684-ecf921cc1584

The lost-functionality I mention here is a constant annoyance. But it is not the only feature that has been lost. e.g. MS Office 2010 and 2016 cannot do tasks that MS Office 2003 was able to accomplish.

(2016-07-11 Dan [MS]: updated title and description to differentiate this idea from the idea about sorting files alphabetically in the MRU: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10261443-recent-files-pane-in-excel-2013-was-pretty-good-b)

419 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Do NOT SHARE details shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If anyone is still following this, please search "pinned" on this forum and find the post with just 12 votes I think. It's another post for Excel 2016 for recent files sorting alphabetically. I would think most companies are using 2016 and not 365 but maybe I'm wrong. I'm using 2016 for work and usually have 15-20 files pinned. Having them sorted by date/time and not alphabetical is really frustrating. If I'm using 15-20 files daily, they keep rearranging themselves by the last time I opened it. -_- I hate going backwards in efficiency.

The link in the post above is for Office 365. The one that says "pinned" in the title is for 2016. I know this one is for folders but I'm trying to find the people who also want recent files pinned by alpha not date.

"Please allow pinned items to sort alphabetically" is for 2016. Go to Feedback and then search pinned. Thanks... Sorry for the edits. :)

• Tom Brennan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently used folders are back in Excel in Office 365 Version 1708 Build 8431.2270. Not sure if they appeared earlier.

This may not be any help for users of Office/Excel 2016, but it is at least a sign that Microsoft may have taken this feedback on board.

• Straton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's a partial workaround but it is serviceable in the absence of a real solution and it doesn’t require administrator permissions to edit the registry:

1) Browse to the folder "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office"
        2) Right-click the folder there named "Recent" and select "Pin to Quick access"

That folder should now show up in the Office applications' Quick access list for the Open and Save-as dialogs. The "Recent" folder is different from the "Recent Places" list but many of your recently accessed folders will be there and you can also click on any of the files listed there and select “Open file location” to get at other recently accessed folders.

• dornemam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Put folders back in the recent list. Do this in all office products. I teach, I have many folders on my computer, each a different semester, different class, different subject, in all office products, documents, spreadsheets, presentations. Individual files in the list are helpful, but folders instead of files would have been better.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looks like it was fixed and then agreed that it mssed the cut three times and then no further info as to why this missing block of code did not get put back in.
        It certainly dosn't 'do what is says on the can' anymore.

What a waste of effort all along !

Recent Files pane in Excel 2013 was pretty good, but Excel 2016 broke it (Pin pinning recent files no longer sorts alphabetically) This post no longer takes votes.
        Pinned files are still not sorted alphabetically. Please fix this!

I really hope this gets changed. Such an inefficient process of having to browse through all our directories only to save to the same one 35 times a day.

After Open, select Computer instead of Recent Workbooks, and you can pin folders & see recent folders. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to revise the order the Pinned folders appear in.

• Carol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in the accounting department and we have hundreds of folders and thousands of files. By pinning both files and folders I can save hours of productivity time in the average month. I'm very frustrated with the downgrade to Office 2016 and haven't encountered any improvements over 2013 yet. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice to go back to the prior version.

• Eddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately there are only a handful of us that have actually complained. MS will not take it seriously if only a few dozen people complain out of the millions of users. Tell your colleagues to complain on this forum and maybe we get somewhere. Office 2016 just being rolled out in my company, and many unhappy people. I honestly cannot point to a single improvement. all been bad changes. maybe few people actually use these features so they didnt care if they messed them up.

You can create an excel file and name it the folder you use regularly. For example, open a new workbook, save as, go to the folder you want to access, name the file that folder name. When back in excel close the file, click File tab, click Open, click Recent. You should see your file in the list. Pin it to the list by right clicking and choosing "Pin to List". Now when you want to go straight to that folder, right click and choose "Open file location". Not the best but it works.

Pinning folders is a great feature for someone like me who spends about 90+% of my work time in Excel. really a shame to lose it.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree wholeheartedly with the need to restore this functionality.

• Frank Van Hevel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can see maps under "save as" but these maps cannot be pinned.
        These are maps in your current folder where current file is stored.
        Nothing changed it seems to me.

I am able to pin under !`"save as" but not under "open". So it seems part of the problem has been solved.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base