Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

paste as text

excel is missing one important function: PASTE AS TEXT...

for various reasons pasting with excel intelligent guessing the type of data in the pasted cells do not work well, although there is no error in that (doing unexpected conversions of pasted data)...

what I need is the functionality to say to excel: paste all data as text into appropriate cells (and I will later edit it and correct and convert data)

also, convert-text-to-columns should have that functionality... yes, I am aware that I can use that functionality at the column level, but I would also like to be able to say it at once, for all the columns (for there are a lot of columns and I am not aware of where the problems with data really are before I see the data pasted...

so, let mi first put data in the cells as text and I will later handle what is to be handled...

this is a hugely missing functionality in excel, thanks :-)

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gjuro Kladaric shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
already supported  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

This is already supported, if I understand what you’re looking for. Look for Paste Special > Values (if you copied from Excel) or Paste as Text (if you copied from another app).

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminDan Battagin [MS XL] (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the additional information Gjuro.

I think what you're looking for is captured pretty well in this idea - it'd be great if you could vote on them:

Maintain leading 0's: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921/suggestions/10551039

Stop Excel from changing large "numbers" (actually text values) to scientific notation) - https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921/suggestions/10374741

• Gjuro Kladaric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

of course, THIRD column in the below report is completely unimportant, it can be any column

I just had such a sample and had not refined that idea and corrected my report

pardon me :-)

• Gjuro Kladaric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh, it does not really work... try this: have a text file with three columns of comma separated values

make the last column be all digits, some kind of personal number, and let some of them have leading zeroes

let .csv file have TABs as column separator (so lines will be automatically broken into columns and populated in three columns)

and when you say: PASTE AS TEXT, what will be the outcome? you will get numbers in the third column AND YOU WILL LOSE THOSE LEADING ZEROS, for PASTE AS TEXT puts its data into cells that are formatted as GENERAL, and not as TEXT

that is true even if data do not contain column separators... you get a column of GENERALly formatted cells (with all kind of problems as excel tries to be usefull servant and guess how to use pasted data)

so, let PASTE AS TEXT mean PASTE AS TEXT TO TEXT CELLS

better now?

:-)

Feedback and Knowledge Base