Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Circular Errors

I had to look all over the worksheet headers to find an option that would show the cell being questioned. You get this error when you are about to save and leave a worksheet. I do not usually have time to go hunting for it at that point. Need a quicker way to identify the specific problem cell.

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
already supported  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

Hi,

This is already supported in Excel.

Go to the Formulas tab, Error Checking, Circular References. You’ll get a list of cells involved in circular references.

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dan Battagin [MS XL] statement above is incomplete. The sentence should be CORRECTED to state "You’ll get a list of [SOME OF THE] cells [ON THE CURRENT TAB] involved in circular references."

Additional clarification could include:
    The list will ignore cells on another tab involved in THIS circular reference.
    The list will ignore cells ON THIS TAB that are a part of the circular reference due to formula referring to cells on other tabs.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BUT, when I am just logging out (or only just opening) a spreadsheet with 41 sheets, and I get a message that miraculously appears to tell me that I have at least 1 circular reference, SURELY it would be really nice to read "... starting at cell 'sheet name'!B4" or wherever.

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go to the Formulas tab, Error Checking, Circular References. You'll get a list of cells involved in circular references.

Feedback and Knowledge Base