Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

make excel 2016 as stable as previous versions

Make Excel 2016 as stable as previous versions
We run complex spreadsheets with conditional formatting and links between spreadsheets and macros to drive behavior - this is both inherently slow (on various different computers) and unstable - crashes almost daily
Previous versions of Excel handled these same spreadsheets cleanly and easily !!!

104 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe Walsh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

Thank you all who voted! And we hear you loud and clear and we have been working hard at improving Excel 2016 stability on-going with every monthly release with our January monthly channel release at historically low levels based on our internal measures.

Moving forward, please send us feedback from within Excel, which includes actionable crash information we monitor regularly. Once Excel reboots from a crash please goto File → Feedback → Send a Frown, provide information on what Excel specific action you were doing when the crash occurred and press the “Submit” button.

thanx,
Prash [MSFT]

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Muhammad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We installed recent update ver 1902 on most of our PC, since than on one of our PC Excel running very slow , some queries takes more than an hour. We tested the same file on another PC running 2016 are working well it can be loaded within 20 min, that is fine.
    We checked all our hardware, its upto date and no performance issue, the same file were running fine before this recent update.
    Thanks,

• Dave Waterworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Prash,

i'm finding Excel 2016 VBA INCREDIBLY frustrating...
    It's crashing out of VBA with virtually EVERY run... Checked and rechecked my logic and internal structures and values which are all correct, but VBA still falls on its face, depending on where I place a given Breakpoint. Sometimes it'll run fine to a breakpoint, then fail as you try to step through it. Move the breakpoint one or two lines further on & the system runs to THAT breakpoint and THEN fails... it's ridiculous!

Tried to find your File → Feedback → Send a Frown... but no such options to be found

• Robert Twigg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Excel not responding" happens every time I open it and on every spreadsheet I use. I started studying computer programming in the fall of 1967 and worked in software development and consulting full-time through August 2015. I have used every version of MS Office and many competitors. Excel 2016 is the most unstable and crash prone program / app I have ever used in my life. In my opinion it is criminal on Microsoft's part. They know there are countless serious issues. My laptop is an ASUS. Processor is Intel i5 7200U @ 2.50 GHz. OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. The processor is 64 bit based. RAM is 12.0 GB. Storage is a 1 TB SSD. Is there anything I can do besides switching to another spreadsheet program? If I sent info after every crash I would have to do it a dozen or more times a day. This is too time consuming and quite frankly I should not have to do this.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I''ve had more crashes in Excel 2016 than 2003, 2010 and 2013 combined.

Have tried updating it many times and its performance is still exceptionally poor.

• L Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am looking at leaving Excel 2016. We continue to have to many issues. Type information in a cell and click enter and the cell remains blank even though the formula bar shows you do have something entered. The latest issue is a simple formula adding 2 or 3 cells in different locations returns a result of Zero. Excel 2016 is the most unstable platform Microsoft has ever put out. They have really out done themselves. I believe we are going to go back to Excel 2010.

• Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What good are new features if the application itself is not stable and slow?.. Me and my customers have frozen on Windows 7 and Office 2010 Pro because of good stability and performance.

I have seen many complaints of things that used to work fine, not working ever since Office went from msi version to C2R (Click-To-Run) virtualized containers in Office 2013 and '16.

• A.C. WILSON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, in the case of Excel 2016, I'm really torn about not being "early adopters", because we could really use the new MINIF() and MAXIF() functions -- yesterday, as well as 5-10 years ago.

(Yes, I know that there are alternatives, but none of them are highly satisfactory for our circumstance.)

• A.C. WILSON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fortunately for all of us in my org., our IT division has never been an "early adopter". Me neither.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to switch to Excel 2016 to get the latest and greatest but it crashes too frequently so I switched back to 2010.

• Ruby Amidon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! PREACH IT! It also needs to come with the data. the tech I spoke to didn't understand what I meant, but I couldn't show him because google didn't find my email. but alas, life goes on.

• Bill Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an advanced Excel user (20 years). I know this might sound weird, but years ago I had a problem on a work PC where Excel crashed every time I inserted a row (which I did a lot). I was pulling my hair out over it! It ended up being a faulty video card that caused this. The video card was replaced and the problem went away.

Totally agree. Excel constantly crashes just from filtering and clearing filters. 64 bit version is better but still has issues on a very new high quality laptop.

• Corey Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Conditional formatting and macros should both be used sparingly as they are resource hogs and prone to issues (volatility, maintenance, etc.). We've had virtually no issues with 2016. We rarely use VBA and all our data is organized in tables with pivot tables and charts to summarize. We also moved away from conditional formatting towards dashboard-style charts and summary tables.

• George Carlisle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel 2016 is more stable than Excel 2010, 2013, etc. Example, 3D maps never crashes now. I couldn't get it to work in 2013, lol.

hangs up frequently. agree that links are a problem.
    adds in also tend to hang up
    I have 16gb of ram but excel uses this poorly and apps which use a fraction of this cause it to hang up

• Karla Buckingham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find the most difficulty when workbooks with links to other workbooks are saved on a network and are used by multiple users. If another user opens and updates a file, links will not update for previous user. In general files with links or formula references to other files, especially if not stored in the save folder, do not work as well as in previous versions. In general, stability and reliability of our complex workbooks has gone downhill from 2003 version. This includes linking Excel data into Word documents and interaction between Office products.

I find the application very slow and it goes into "not responding" a lot, especially when first opened. I also cannot open a file from file explorer. I double click on the file I want to open and it opens Excel but does not load the file. This is very inconvenient. I am considering going back to Office 2010.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base