How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Disable time grouping

The new automatic time grouping in PivotTables should be an option within Excel. Users should not need to make a registry edit to disable this feature, and the time grouping should not be on by default.

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AndyAndy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    GFGF shared a merged idea: Time Grouping to be turning off time grouping by a click of a button. All of my old files are of no value.  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL]AdminDan Battagin [MS XL] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all,

This ability to turn off time grouping from the UI was recently added to the O365 version of Excel. File→Options→Advanced→Data→“Disable automatic grouping of Data/Time columns in PivotTables”.

We’re considering adding this back to the perpetual release of Office 16. Until that’s available, you can also turn it off manually using the registry, outlined in this article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-off-time-grouping-in-PivotTables-in-Excel-2016-for-Windows-6be5afed-348c-4db2-9f87-5ac262d67b3f.

Regards
    Ashvini Sharma [MS]

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AkmialraAkmialra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I went to the path you mentioned and it's disable, what happens when on the pivot you put the date on the row field and it also adds the month like by default and a different date format like 1-Jan instead of the original source 1/1/2017 and the format date doesn't change it.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ashvini,
        I can't see it in my Excel 2016. I'm also concerned that this feature is significantly increasing size of my data model (by around 30% -> 1.2 MB out of 4.0 MB). I think such a feature should be set to off by default, you should not be forcing the users how they want to display the data...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for jacking up my files and crashing my machine. Opt in is the way to go. This forced improvement just corrupted one of my files.

• Jonathan FlintJonathan Flint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, Ashvini Sharma on an answer, unfortunately this reinforces for me why I did not want to upgrade to Office 2016 to begin with. Now I get to take much longer to do standard works because I have to figure out how to do the same work with new Microsoft Software.

Warning Rant! - Microsoft when will you stop "doing us favors". To turn on and force us to have Time grouping on is very presumptuous and now forcing me to un-adopt Office 2016. I have many jobs I have to do that the customer [others in my company] need output by date and to have it broken down into Year, Qtr,..etc. is completely useless. To come here and find out I need to edit the registry on a new machine with new software on the first task because someone at Microsoft thinks they know best how to handle my data is ridiculous.

I hope people at Microsoft read this thread. After new year, any date range that include both 2016-2017 will automatically be grouped into year - quarter - month, with the actual date taken away. That is literally the dumbest feature that has ever been added to Excel

• Chris SadlerChris Sadler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just noticed that you can right click on your 'Date' field and click 'Ungroup' then the issue goes away!

The ability to group when needed was fine, to have automatically group dates especially when you have no idea what information I may need at the time is stupid. I've spent the last hour trying to get this **** turned off because every auto grouping is NOT what I need. Do you guys at Microsoft ever use your brains at all? Stop opting us in to your stupid ideas.

I have turned off in the Options as suggested, but that is not working. And, I do have have permissions to modify my registry. Having a option to turn on/off is fine, but at least make sure it works. BUG!!!!!

• anneanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is unwarranted, who asked for it! It’s added additional calculations in to the PowerPivot background and I don't want the date grouping it adds in the Pivot table. This feature does not suit the type of reports I run for which I’m required to show a date. I don’t have admin rights to turn this off through regedit and there is no option to disable as suggested through File even though I have Office 365 proplus. This has to be the most frustrating feature I have seen come out of any of the new office release.

HATE this auto time grouping! It takes so much effort (and time) to fix what was not broken!! Frustrating!!

Mine is disabled in the menu, but is still grouping. I've tried the option above and changing my registry and still I can't see my data Please do not predict things that I might like to have, this is so annoying and won't go away.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. It just does not work with my data. The sooner it goes into the bin for ever the better.

This is a horrible "feature" - I have a pivot with 4 individual dates and now Excel has grouped them so that users have to scroll through hundreds of dates in the filter dropdown to turn off one of them. Fail

I've just spent 3 hours trying to figure out why my pivot graphs date selections weren't working properly. Finally... found out that it's because MS is making "improvements" that i can't "opt-in" for ... a) they're on by default and b) i have to edit my registry? 3:11 AM now... 3 hours... thanks MS, job well done.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ashvini,

Thank you for considering our request. As Forrest mentioned, this could be a useful opt-in feature. For most pivot table users, however, the automatic time grouping creates more problems than it solves.

The feature is nice enough, but it triggers even if the model contains a date table which is INCREDIBLY annoying! Not all date fields are to be used for time grouping.

• ForrestForrest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My two cents - this would be a nice "opt-in" feature, but not good as a default. I can't imagine why anyone would want this.

I agree. It took me a long time to find the info on how to turn it off. It seems that every set of search terms I used just lead me to links showcasing the new feature.

• GFGF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Previously I have used pivot graphs to show data on a rolling 12 month basis. Time grouping has forced me to loose data that will allow this to happen.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree. I hate this - all I want is the data exactly as entered by Month and Year, not Month by Year. FML Excel. hating this. and requires a Registry Edit to disable? Srsly?
        please get it together so we can easily disable this.
        Dates are in EVERYTHING most of us do, please don't surprise us with "features" (in full air quotes) and provide no option to undo it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
      • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
      • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
      • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
      • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
      • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.