Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Insert Equations Into Cell instead of as floating object

Allow the math equation objects created by "Insert->Equations" to be embedded in a single cell, rather than just a floating object. I would like to use nicely formatted equations as row or column headers and to describe the data or calculations nearby. As a floating object, they lose relative positioning as cell height or width are changed. If embedded in a cell, I would expect the fit to width or height commands to adjust to fit the equation.

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marshall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Move and size with cells" does work to fix the relative positioning problem as does "Move but don't size with cells". When I tried it before it wasn't working so somehow the "Don't move or size with cells" must have been selected.
        There's still the problem of fit to width or height commands. If an equation object could be inserted into a cell, it would fix the additional problems of 1) Insert Equation adds the equation to the middle of the page, independent of what cell I had selected, so I have to then manually drag and move it to where I want, 2) As an object in the cell, I would expect it to be the only content in the cell. Right now values or calculation equations can be (accidentally) inserted into the cells underneath the Equation Objects content and makes it hard to select the cell underneath later. To select and delete content underneath an equation that covers a cell, the equation must be temporarily moved, or a nearby cell selected, and the keyboard used to navigate to it (tab, enter, or arrow keys).
        I think the related suggestion is a very helpful idea, useful for editing an equation that calculate values in a cell, whereas the suggestion I gave complements it in relation to documentation, and manual control of appearance and formatting equations as labels.

Feedback and Knowledge Base