Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Columns

At the moment the worksheet columns only have the corresponding letter at the top. If it were to somehow have the corresponding number equivalent many VB users would appreciate it.
How it could work - while mouse is hovering over the Letter "Z" would display a "26" and so on.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    already supported  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

Hi,

This is already possible, using R1C1-style references. To enable them,

1. Go to File > Options > Formulas.
    2. Under “Working with formulas”, check the “R1C1 reference style” check box

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous, reread what you wrote and ask yourself how anyone is supposed to understand what you're talking about.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find the formula to add a column, but only the formula remains and not the sum. Please explain what I am missing.

• Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When copying a table to another new spreadsheet, why not keep the column widths the same from the spreadsheet being copied.

• AdminDan Battagin [MS XL] (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Marc - interesting. Out of curiosity - what's the scenario there? If it's indexing to a specific column, then like Kenneth, I'd recommend a different approach - something like using the formula =COLUMN(CM1), which will return 91.

Cheers,
        Dan [MS]

• Marc Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dan,
        That's not what was being asked for. Yes, we know about switching to R1C1 but there are times when we can't. What the requestor was looking for was a way to identify to the column number while in the A1 format without switching to R1C1. Can you, off the top of your head, tell me what the column number is for column CM? Being able to hover over the column identifier in A1 mode and have it return 91 would be helpful.
        thanks, Marc

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go File > Options > Formulas. Under "Working with formulas", check the "R1C1 reference style" check box. It's not the most visible option, but it is there.

Instead of referring to hard numbers like 26 in your VBA code, I would recommend naming important columns as named ranges. That way, columns can move around freely without you having to update your VBA code.

Feedback and Knowledge Base