Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Bring back the Split Box

You used to have a split box above/to the side of the scroll bars. This went in 2013 for some reason - there was no justification:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Discontinued-features-and-changed-functionality-in-Excel-2013-c417e377-26c6-4f43-be6d-16718dd75ffa#__toc342560933

Please can we have this back?

9 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Ward shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
already supported  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

While the split control is no longer above the scroll bars, it is still available in Excel. To add it to your Ribbon or QAT, you can:

1. Start Excel
2. File > Options > Customize (QAT or Ribbon)
3. Choose commands from “All Commands”
4. Find the “Split Window” command
5. Add it to your QAT (or to the ribbon).

Hope that helps!

Dan [MS]

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. No reason to make a regularly used feature more difficult to access. Bring it back!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion is just a quick way of accessing the menu functionality. That is not what we want. If I already have a split, say horizontal, and want to add vertical, I can’t just drag a split from the edge as I used to be able to. Now I have to remove the first split, reposition the active cell and the create a new split. This way shortcut does not fix this backward step in the programming from something that used to exist

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring it back. There was no reason to remove such a useful feature. Now there are way to many clicks replacing a simple drag.

• Carmen Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is a very critical feature that gets used daily and there are now many extra steps involved in what used to be simple and quick.

Feedback and Knowledge Base