Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

I need to be able to include an image/picture/graph -inside- a cell, as cell content and filetype.

This I need so very often! And so great features would be possible.
Just to name the most obvious, a sortable list, where one column is for representative images. It would be sortable by the other columns and resize the cells accordingly.

I know, that pictures are linked with their left top pixel to the respective cell, but that is way too less to be feasible for all the necessary applications.

29 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bodo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • RH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an age old desire of Excel users whose time may have come. Picture (and video for that matter) should be a native data type that Excel can display within a cell not just on a drawing layer. The applications are endless and don't require much imagination (e.g. a database table of employees with a picture of the employee displayed in one of the columns.) Excel's formula and calculation abilities only enrich the scenarios, think of calculating a picture by evaluating a long text string of RGB values in hex (e.g. PICTURE("A1FF....DE") , or evaluating a link to the picture's file, or even applying a function to a picture in another cell (e.g. =DARKEN(A1, 50%). Similarly, you could "calculate" a video sequencing static pictures you place in cells with something like =PLAYVIDEO(A1:A100000), or appending two cells that have videos into a longer one etc. We are in the era of Instagram and youtube, it's time for Excel to understand and manipulate their data natively.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, am looking for a way to have an item list with an image of the item as the cell content so it remains faithfully with the row for sorting, filtering, printing, etc. The ability to select that column and format the images to shrink to fit would be ideal - then I could just select all the rows and tell them all to have a height of 50, for example, and I would have a uniform list of items with their photos.
    Of course one of the obvious benefits from this is you could populate cells on other worksheets, forms, etc. with the image using a lookup of the item number, name, or whatever.
    PLEASE consider this!

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. I need the same thing for my own business. This would be extremely helpful to show item pictures along with a stock list

• Pascal Stil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

pictures can move with the cell when they fit within the cell size, but having the pictures as cell content would make this a lot easier

• William Cahill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An update that would allow images to align 'left', 'right' or 'center'/'top', 'middle' or 'bottom' within cells would be much appreciated. It would also be great if ctrl+a would be able to select all images only in one row or column, instead of all the images within the excel.

Feedback and Knowledge Base