Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

save chart as image

It would be nice to be able to right-click on a chart and have an option to save it as an image (jpg, png, ...) to the hard drive instead of copy pasting to another application or using screen capture software.

23 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dolly shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Accepting Votes  ·  Scott Ruble (PM MSFT) responded  · 

Interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our future planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
Scott [MSFT]

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I'm always using PowerPoint as an in between step to save images/screenshot of selection etc. as picture I would be nice to integrate it in Excel as well.

Even better would be to have the option to get the share-link at the same time, once save on OneDrive.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So... it's been over TWO YEARS and it's still not implemented. Is it considered too easy? So it's too low on the totem pole of implementation? Maybe you should have a designated programmer tackle all the easy stuff.

• Jim Lear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm regularly having to copy charts and paste them into a PowerPoint in order to save them as images.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additional thoughts...
    * Google Sheets already has this feature.
    * The code already exists. Leverage the combination of the "Insert As Picture" Paste Option and the "Save as Picture" Context Menu within Microsoft Word.

• geo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why this is not implemented in Windows yet. The mac version of office has it.

All charts from a sheet can be exported with this little macro:

Sub exportCharts()
    Dim objCht As ChartObject
    Dim idx As Integer
    idx = 1
    For Each objCht In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
    objCht.Chart.Export "E:\chart" & idx & ".png", "PNG"
    idx = idx + 1
    Next objCht
    End Sub

• Brian Blaylock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be so nice to have this functionality built into Excel rather than needing an add-on.
    Powerpoint has a similar ability to select multiple objects and save it as an image (an option when you right click a selection of images). Would really love to see a similar button in Excel, i.e. right-click a chart (or selection of cells, other object, etc.) and have the option to "save as image"

• Ryan MacGregor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few add-ins (Peltier chart utility [http://peltiertech.com], Macabacus [https://www.macabacus.com], and apparently Formuladesk) offer this capability. However, since you can already paste charts as pictures into other Office docs using native functionality quite easily, most users won't ever need to save charts as pictures. This would be a niche feature.

• DoctorMoshe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would hope it would apply to all objects/images/etc... I find it odd how Powerpoint has this feature but Word and Excel do not.

Feedback and Knowledge Base