Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

When filtering allow boxes on right of filter values to auto unselect all & select value

When you are filtering a worksheet, when hitting the drop down value we get a (Select all) and a check box for each data value. Rather than having to unselect all and scroll to the items you want to check to display allow a checkbox to the right of the values to simulate the unselect all and check current item. Then continue checking items as usual if needed. Very helpful on larger data filtering.

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JimS_NY shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

Hi,

Unselecting all items in the filter dialog/drop down can be done with the “(Select All)” item that is checked by default — if you uncheck that, then it will unselect all of the items in the list and you can continue to select just the items you want to filter on.

Hope that helps,
Dan [MS]

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess one workaround to selection inversion is to set up a temporary column that only shows TRUE or FALSE. Then that column would be easier to filter.

• JimS_NY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ken's idea would be very helpful if Select all was always visible in the drop down. But to reset the scenario, very often i am filtering long lists with many boxes selected than are visible in the filter drop down dialogue. I often need to invert the selection to see the opposite view of the data. So let me proposed an "Invert all selected" items just below the "Select All". Would be a helpful efficiency and would prevent me from having to "Unselect all" and then remember which ones I don't want to check again.

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better idea: when scrolling down, just have Select All (and possibly (Blanks) as well) anchored at the top, sort of like Freeze Panes.

Feedback and Knowledge Base