Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Treemap Chart for Excel. Block size proportional by size of company within group; labels set by another column; hoverable msg.

Wall Street Journal used to have a map of the market also called sector maps. You get there after entering the Wsj web site as follows: markets to market data to us stocks (arrow down) to market data center on right which shows stock data and sector maps. The idea, for example, is taking an industry segment for a period of time listed by company, size of company, and percent change of stock price that day. Table is treemap with blocks in proportion to size of company, each block colored by continuum based on percentage change in stock price, and when you hover on a block the company is shown with a label indicating the company, stock price and size. This used to be available in marketwatch of the wsj but is not currently being done.

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bill Stevenson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Scott Ruble (PM MSFT) responded  · 

We recently provided a Treemap chart type as part of the Excel 2016 release. Please give that a try and let us know if it addresses your needs.

Thanks,
Scott [MSFT]

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to show data labels with percentages relating to each hierarchical group. So, for example, if I have three groups, A (100 rows) B (200 rows) and C (300 rows), which contain 3 subgroups each, a b and c, I would like to have data labels which reflect the relationship between the group and the subgroup. At present, if I set the data label to a percentage, it is not calculating this in relation to the group total, but instead just seems to be adding a % sign to my total for each cell.

Feedback and Knowledge Base