Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Increase the 218 character filename length limit to open files in excel

Excel can't open files with full path lengths greater than 218 characters as documented in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213983. This is still a problem in Office 2016. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/sorry-unable-to-find/595333d0-1463-499f-967e-4da8ac2e2047

303 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

87 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JoelS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously - Microsoft - FIX IT!
        This limitation is not workable on a cloud-based work server environment. And the error messages are just incomprehensible, giving no clue to the average user.

• Bruzote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has Microsoft decided to compete with Mr Goodnight's SAS to see which corporation can trap us further back in time with character limitations? We're going back to the 1960s with some of these limitations!

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Microsoft: Please fix this problem! It is annoying our entire team.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this problem. There is no rational explanation for the limit.

• John D. Landry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this ridiculous limitation immediately. This is a limitation that should have been removed years ago.

• Michael Kaiser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We live in an era of 100TB NAS devices and 64-bit OSs. The 218 character filename length limit is arcane. I can't tell you how many problems have been caused moving files to a desktop to edit, then moving them back to an incorrect location or not having active hyperlinks.
        ** PLEASE MAKE EXCEL COMPATIBLE WITH TODAY's REALITY **

• Erin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! I've encountered this when creating hyperlinks (though more in Word than Excel when creating documentation).

I have little control over most of the path name since the IT Department creates many of the folders in the path name. IT's concern is to make it easy to administer access permissions with little to no thought for the downstream impact on users of the resulting long path names (e.g. drive, department, division, section, subsection, sub-subsection).

For example, 59 characters are already gone before my work group can even begin creating a folder structure customized to our group, often consisting of another two to four levels of subfolders (e.g. tax type, tax return filer, year or tax type, an activity, year). Now add actual file names that adequately describe the file and one runs into the character limitation. And it is the file name that suffers, sometimes badly, when it has to be shortened.

• Wouter Horselenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With all the cloud based file constructions these day's file patches become longer. Filesystems can handle longer patches already. I'm using Libre Office to edit document that Excel does not open anymore.. Even Office 2016 still has this problem/bug/limitation.

I think this update is already waiting way to long... it is 2016! ;)

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes indeed, it is unbelievable that such annoying limitation still exists when other software like Open Office does not have at all this irritating burden which makes you waste time like crazy. Why having at all a restraint on the file name or access route length? It just doesn't make any sense, and it is one of the reasons why many people like myself have decided to look in a different direction.

1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base