Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Increase the 218 character filename length limit to open files in excel

Excel can't open files with full path lengths greater than 218 characters as documented in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213983. This is still a problem in Office 2016. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/sorry-unable-to-find/595333d0-1463-499f-967e-4da8ac2e2047

366 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

109 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My character limit seems around 140 for files on OneDrive for Office 2016 applications. But Notepad, for example, can still save to the same locations

Just tried your recommendation @Jon, although it does in fact fix naming issues in windows, excel still cannot open any files with a file path longer than 218.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if this would fix this issue in Excel for the file name rather than the whole path; but just FYI, in Windows 10, I have found that updating the Reg to allow use of long file names has fixed the naming issues I was having:

Windows Registry Editor
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
        "LongPathsEnabled"=dword:00000001

Yes, please! This becomes a problem for our users who have docs on sharepoint. As folder structures are often over 218 characters, they are unable to open the sharepoint docs in excel desktop.

• Leonardo Sosa Rojas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Microsoft doing anything about this? This is terrible when using Office 365.
        I had to change my naming convention because of this limitation.

• Paul Chillingworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Excel or Macs and PCs almost 30 years and this has always been a problem On both platforms. For a small organisation like mine it forces you to think carefully about filing design, so you could argue it's a good thing but for a large organisation it must be a nightmare. It is difficult to believe this very basic ability has not been updated yet. Plenty of other software vendor's seem to have cracked this, surely the "giant" that is Microsoft office can sort it?

Long Path Tool is very potential to delete or rename long file, if you want you can use Long Path Tool

Yep this is **** **** in 2017 allow much longer file names especially on 64 bit systems

• Bonnie Moore McCarty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just ran into this issue for the first time. (Can't believe I haven't previously, after using Excel extensively for the past two decades....) Due to a series of nested folders we have to use for organizational purposes in one of our departments, I can't use our normal naming scheme on files within a particular folder due to the 218-character limit. I'm having to truncate the file name, which will make it harder to find later. This is ridiculous! No other program seems to have this issue. Why on earth can't Excel open a file with a perfectly good file path and name, solely based on the number of characters in said path/name???

Unbelievable that this bug exists in the 21st century, let alone 7 years after it was first reported. An undergraduate CS student could fix this bug. Come on MS Office team, get it together.

• Jeremy Gregg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major blocker to large scale rollout of O365 for document storage in our organisation (25k users). O365 max filepath = 400 chars; Excel = 218??? Please fix this!

WOW! Good job Excel... Creating more work because your using outdated coding. it would literally take 5 minutes + 1 update to fix this issue.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the most critical issues affecting adoption of Office 365 for our organization. We've been migrating content from SharePoint on premises, network file shares and local storage to OneDrive and now many of the Excel files cannot be saved because of this limitation. Please PLEASE fix it!!

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its crazy. jpg's open, vsd's open, msg's open with all your other wonderful apps. But an Excel file in the same folder fails to open because of this character restriction. Madness. Please fix it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base