Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Increase the 218 character filename length limit to open files in excel

Excel can't open files with full path lengths greater than 218 characters as documented in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213983. This is still a problem in Office 2016. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/sorry-unable-to-find/595333d0-1463-499f-967e-4da8ac2e2047

303 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

87 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its crazy. jpg's open, vsd's open, msg's open with all your other wonderful apps. But an Excel file in the same folder fails to open because of this character restriction. Madness. Please fix it.

• Thomson Tam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It becomes an issue after we moved to SharePoint and One Drive, file path now is very long and we need to shorten the filename due to this limitation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix it, please, I also note that on a Mac, the limitation has changed in a recent update, documents I used to be able to open that have not moved, can now no longer be opened!

• Yannick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix the character filename length limitation, it is really annoying to work in such conditions. Do you really take into account user feedback and complains?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely annoying. I cannot use office365 the way it was meant to be used. I will not be recommending this product that's for sure.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, this is quite arcaic - please resolve this asap. We have recommended so many clients move to sharepoint/one drive only to have this silly issue?? Please help us to help your clients.

Is it so difficult to increase this filename length that many years after the problem remains ??? No more comments...

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're shifting over 15,000 business users over to OneDrive from local and network drives and this character limit is really a big problem for our business. Very disruptive. With increase path length using OneDrive vs mapped drives it is really making our business community suffer. PLEASE, PLEASE fix this 7 year old problem!!!

• Jason Zhang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this drives me crazy. I encountered this issue just after migrating from dropbox to Onedrive for business. It seems not resolvable unless I have to re-organize my folder structures!!!. Please fix it!

It is rediculous that I cannot organize my files in folders because he length is too long causing me NOT to be able to open my files! Why can't this basic ability to open files be fixed please

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No comment. My words should be very nasty about this problem. My opinion is to avoid every MS product, if you can. Google sheet is a good product (and it is free!), and there are many other free software that are good enough.

• the real answer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just convert your spreadsheets to google sheets or smartsheets. You wont have this issue, and a much richer ability to share your data with your team as well.

• James York-Winegar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've had issues with users not being able to open their synced Sharepoint files due to this limitation. It has stopped me from rolling out Sharepoint Online to my entire org.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought it was a dropbox issue, after months of frustration, but I now learn it's a Microsoft issue that has been around forever. This makes no sense.

• JollyJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On Excel 2016 the limit appeared to be 256 characters, after which everything was truncated. Working my way through a shared data room held on a cloud based share, so it was totally non practical to copy everything elsewhere.

I found a solution!! Google sheets opened the files straight away, with no complaints about path length.

Feedback and Knowledge Base