Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Add "Center Across" to the Ribbon

It has been documented for a long time that the Center Across functionality is much better to use in place of Merge & Center. Most people don't even know the functionality exists because it is buried.in a dialog box

I propose creating a button for it and moving it to the Home tab. There is even a place for it right under the Merge & Center button. I think having it on the Home tab with go a long way in getting people to create more user-friendly spreadsheet in the workplace :)

108 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Newman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So annoying not having this! Apparently it used to be in earlier versions. Why remove it Microsoft?!

• Tara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this! I want to meet the person who created Merge Cells and slap them. It's so inconvenient! Center Across Selection is where it's at!

• Bryan Stroud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE do this. I avoid merging cells like it was the devil - because it IS. I've gone through the multiple clicks for (decades?) to use the Center Across function exclusively - a nifty button would be so AWESOME!

• Barb Miller-Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. For less informed users who still use M&C, this would lead them to use Center Across (as many don't know that there is a difference). I constantly get M&C from others which then I need to change so I can work their spreadsheets. For those of us who use Center Across, it would save keystrokes which in turn saves time.

• A.C. WILSON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MICROSOFT FOLKS: Why didn't you follow up with what you told J. Peltier (below) for Excel 2007? Peltier is one very smart person, who has rendered great service to Microsoft, by helping all of us Excel users, when you weren't doing it. K. Barber, C. Pearson, & J. Walkenbach, too. Without them, some of us would likely have abandoned Microsoft products entirely. Already, it looks like Google may be besting Microsoft in spreadsheet software.

• A.C. WILSON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. At least add it to the list of "customization commands", which would allow us to create our own "button".

Most of my colleagues, too, do not know that "Center Across" exists.

"Center Across" is often much better than "Merge", because merging across columns makes it much more difficult to subsequently manipulate stuff in those columns.

JOE ADAMS: Using non-standard Excel add-ons is impractical in many large organizations, including mine. It violates rules, often is physically blocked by the IT dept., and in some cases causes problems when a number of us work together using the same shared Excel, Word, etc., files.

• Bill Jelen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merge & Center came up in my YouTube video today and someone echoed this suggestion in the comments. I agree that Center Across Selection is much better than Merge & Center. I am encouraging viewers of the video to stop here to vote.

• Frank Baars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea but wouldn't it be great if we can do this horizontally as well as vertically? I am still seeking for the latter option.

• Aaron Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are actually loads of settings that are in the ribbon and not in the dialog box, and vice versa.

What about consolidating these, so every setting is in both locations, or maybe so every setting is in the ribbon, at least in an expanded version of the ribbon.

• Swedish_Chef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even better would be to add a "centre across" for those who change there language from American English to any other form of English.

• Lubomír Tosek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only Center Across and not only horizontal.
        Very often is better to use Center Across then Merge what make impossible free work with ranges. But often it would be better also choose other sides - left or right, and down or up. Without Merging.

• Ryan MacGregor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can add the Center Across button to the QAT as an alternative. Unfortunately, there is no icon for this button.

• Jon Peltier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

During the Excel 2007 beta, we told Microsoft that Center Across needed to be on the Alignment tab. When we explained why (evil merged cells etc) they agreed, but then it never made it into Excel 2007. We've missed all the versions since, but now it's time to get it in there.

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Center Across Selection is by far better than Merge if you are only centering horizontally, since you can rearrange columns without having to unmerge first.

It's unfortunate that Merge is more popular and so finds it place in the Ribbon. Same goes for VLOOKUP versus INDEX and MATCH...

Feedback and Knowledge Base