Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Excel 2016 crashes with large sheets and filtering

When opening a large file and start filtering, work with that filter, use a second filter dn remove one of the filters Excel crashes

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all, the original issue reported in this thread was due to Win10 changes in Accessibility. The fixes for this have been released for Excel 2013, Excel 2016 and Office 365 subscribers in March.

For more information, this thread has the discussion: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/excel-filtering-problemmatic-after-windows-10/f6f34982-d4e0-47b3-bd37-772fd51e0ff3.

thanks
    ash

Ashvini Sharma [MS]
    Excel

66 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have been encountering this issue for some time now. Very frustrating. Excel display becomes unresponsive after removing a filter. Still able to save and close, but happens every few minutes.

• Rick K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is why Microsoft shouldn't call themselves "Enterprise". They are not ready for handling files bigger than a letter to grandma.

Windows 10 make my excel 2013 & 2016 slow compare to windows 7.

If necessary to calculate a fix time, there will have huge different when deal with large excel files, even i using Excel 64 bits.

Any alternative way can turn off any option / features to lighten Excel work under Windows 10?

Its not just on large files, we are having the issue on simple spreadheets with no more than 100 lines and no formulas, filtering makes excel unresponsive, although suprisingly does allow you to save and close all workbooks, whcih you have to do then re-open.

Filtering tables using filter buttons caused Excel to become unresponsive while using slicers are instantaneous. A 1MB with tables that contain formula's takes upto 5 mins to respond after adding row's or columns and the table is only 10 rows by 4 columns. If it isn't broken don't fix it. Come on Microsoft sort this out!!! Excel is bread and butter for People in Finance.

• ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has not been solved as I still have the problem with some users in our company. I will try to repair the office installation and see if it helps.

• Jeff M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's bad code.

Watch how a large filtering operation only uses one core of your CPU vs. recalculation uses all of them.

They've neutered the code but still can't solve it.

Bigtime FAIL.

Several employees in our organisation have reported this issue also. Is it still related to a Microsoft update issue?

I'm having this issue quite frequently as well. It's nailed me twice now in two days. I try to save pretty frequently, but this has still cost me more than an hour in the last two days. Is there any discussion of a fix for this?

Why Microsoft has marked this as complete is so surprising? still occurring and wrecking havoc.

I have a brand new Dell XPS 13 9370, 16 GB Ram, i7 8'th gen chip, 1 TB SSD.
        MSO 365 Business.

Excel scrolls very slowly and if I have multiple workbooks open it freezes for several minutes.
        I had none of these problems with my 2011 MB Pro running Bootcamp.

Dell advises there is a problem with the Realtek audio driver and Excel and offer a new driver download but that hasn't fixed the problem.
        Dell are now going to replace the motherboard but I am not optimistic that this will fix the problem. Microsoft and Dell need to get this fixed. Meanwhile we will no longer be purchasing Dell products for our company.

I've just discovered that this issue is related to the Win10 updates. As an Office 365 Business premium subscriber, I also just found out that this issue is not covered under the O365 support items. So why am I paying Microsoft? I find it ridiculous that a multi-billion dollar company with access to its resources is unable to resolve this issue since it appears to be an ongoing issue over the years. RIDICULOUS!!!!
        That being said, if you remove the filter features, and sort the data manually, the sheet seems to sort in a reasonable amount of time.
        But still searching for a solution on line, including moving to Google Sheets.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have exactly the same comment - I freeze up excel every day with the 2016 64 bit version no where near as stable as older versions - keeps freezing when sorting sheets with 60000 rows and 20 or so columns - unebelieveable - I have to go back to Excel 2007 to play with my data.

• Pam Davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It helps to know I am not alone in this ridiculous freezing of Excel. I have used Excel since 1990 and have never had the problems I am having now with freezing when I was to sort. My files are not that big--a single sheet with 20,000 to 80,000 rows and about 20 columns. Some columns sort quickly, but when I click on some columns, Excel freezes or takes 20-30 minutes to respond. I don't have the time to wait for such ridiculous response time. The touch screen solution isn't working for me, as I am on a desktop work computer. Any ideas??????????????

• Rosemary Grundy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it just me or does anyone else find that if you make a graph from a table and use slicers on the table to restrict the date range of the graph and then further refine the date range shown in the graph by using the graphs' built in filter, Excel crashes? I use a commercial licence of MSO365 ProPlus and it is fully up to date.

• Chris Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Microsoft, So what about users that are on Windows 7 and have the same issue? Windows 7 Enterprise, specifically...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base