Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Excel 2016 crashes with large sheets and filtering

When opening a large file and start filtering, work with that filter, use a second filter dn remove one of the filters Excel crashes

6 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Ashvini Sharma (Lead Program Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

Hi all, the original issue reported in this thread was due to Win10 changes in Accessibility. The fixes for this have been released for Excel 2013, Excel 2016 and Office 365 subscribers in March.

For more information, this thread has the discussion: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/excel-filtering-problemmatic-after-windows-10/f6f34982-d4e0-47b3-bd37-772fd51e0ff3.

thanks
ash

Ashvini Sharma [MS]
Excel

81 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • J Rapoport commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have several clients who are experiencing this issue as well. They try to filter a large spreadsheet and Excel goes non-responsive forcing the user to kill Excel. IN which faerie kingdom does Microsoft believe that they have resolved this issue??

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem on "large" (16k rows) sheets. The second I press filter the whole thing becomes unresponsive.

• Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 2 documents with 100,000 rows and it freezes the second I press remove duplicates. How am I supposed to reduce the file size so it doesn't crash if I filter/remove duplicates?

• jax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just 'upgraded' and Im having this issue now....has this ever been resolved do you know? please tell me there is a fix?...its driving me nuts

• Vivienne R. Goosby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue. I'm working with a sheet with 16,000 rows and it freezes when I attempt to sort the columns by cell color. Please, please, please fix.

I have this problem ALL the time! It's so frustrating having to work with large spreadsheets because I know at some point I will lose my work. Don't us the option of having so many rows if the system is not going to be able to handle it! It's 2019 and this is very much still a problem!

This version of excel is the WORST. It's so unstable and crashes due to the stupidest thing. I wonder how it got past their quality control or they probably don't care anymore since they have the big bucks.

Help Microsoft! This is a problem for me too. I hate having to recreate entries since my last save....and always choosing a recovery file...this can't continue....please fix this problem!

still a HUGE problem. The fact that it freezes entirely with large data is another issue but the fact that I cannot filter for 5 unique values in a single column is ridiculous. Makes for a great explaination as to why reports are late.

• TimNut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Feb 2019. Spreadsheet with only 2270 rows. Freezes. Can't do anything. What the HECK?

Same here, this issue is not fixed.
    Have all the most recent updates installed and the only way to stop this is to disable to touchscreen.

• Darrell G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a number of others have reported, this has NOT been fixed. Extremely frustrating. Needs to be fixed. I'm having the same problem adding columns and even changing the formula for a single cell in some sheets. Turning off automatic calculations DOES NOT fix the issue, so it shouldn't be an issue of daisy chained dependant calculations. UGH!

Have been encountering this issue for some time now. Very frustrating. Excel display becomes unresponsive after removing a filter. Still able to save and close, but happens every few minutes.

• Rick K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is why Microsoft shouldn't call themselves "Enterprise". They are not ready for handling files bigger than a letter to grandma.

Windows 10 make my excel 2013 & 2016 slow compare to windows 7.

If necessary to calculate a fix time, there will have huge different when deal with large excel files, even i using Excel 64 bits.

Any alternative way can turn off any option / features to lighten Excel work under Windows 10?

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base