Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

R in Excel (RRO + MKL as scripting language in Excel)

Microsoft recently acquired Revolution Analytics:

http://revolutionanalytics.com/

Revolution R Open with MKL is an open source derivative of R (RRO + MKL). Adding-in RRO to Excel is a natural fit and will extend the scripting utility of .xlsx in Enterprise environment. The package developments alone are worth considering this integration.

133 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rich Gillin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

Yes, we’re considering providing R integration with Excel in the future, the number of votes on this item helps us gauge overall community interest in this, so please pull in others if you think they’d like this as well.

regards
    ash [MS XL]

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please!! Consider R in Excel first than Python. I vote R integrated in Excel functions, this will grow exponentially the R community

• pato lobos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update here guys? Power BI got it, why not Office 365? I really need this :-( !!!!

• balakrishna sappa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Structured Data Values in Power Query (Field, Record, Table & List) and Objects in R (Vector, Factor, Matrix, Array, Data Frame & List) have a lot of similarities too.

• balakrishna sappa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have native support for R scripting in Excel, so one can call R built-in functions from within Excel or script custom R functions and then call them from within Excel. It would be great to see if we can have the functionality of controlling Excel from within the native R scripting environment like in BERT. That would make Excel powerful than ever.

• Serban Dragne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would find this quite useful. I use BERT to connect R to Excel which is a bit hit and miss in terms of reliability. Native solution would be very welcome indeed!

Yes please consider this, please add R.Execute command to excel power query like in power bi

• Imke Feldmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support!
        Hopefully the "R-integration" that has been introduced into PowerBI will flow to Power Query in Excel soon. Of course it would be even better, if we wouldn't have to run R separately but natively (or as an Add-On?) in Excel.

• pato lobos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, now you have Visual Studio R Tools, Power BI with R, Azure ML with R, SQL Server and R, Microsoft Server... please go with this, if we can turn just 1% of Excel users into R user, then it will be a real revolution, around 250K R user are around the world, 1% of excel users will be 6 million people!! This is the future for Office, also integration with Word, so to publish research papers etc.

A seamless R / Excel mash-up is the obvious choice for rapid prototyping of analytics and an accessible user interface. For one-off models that may be sufficient.

Would love to see something beyond XLConnect. RExcel is a small shop, so I don't know where that's going.

• Anne Marie Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed R+Excel r a natural fit (excuse the pun). Two of my favorite things together. Awesome! Apparently I need to get out more...

Feedback and Knowledge Base