Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Change Excel Table Name in the Create Table Window

Every time I Insert an Excel Table I then have to go change the Table Name (Alt+J,T,A). It would be great if the Table Name could be changed on the Create Table window when you are selecting the range of the Table.

It would also be nice to have some default settings for the table names. For example, I prefix all my table names with "tbl". This makes it a lot easier to get a list of the tables in the workbook when writing formulas. I would like to store this preference somewhere and then have the table name be prefixed with "tbl" when the table is created.

I would also like the initial table name to be more intuitive. It could default to the header name of the first column in the table, instead of Table1. Of course this wouldn't work every time, but it would be a lot more descriptive than Table1.

48 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jon Acampora shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A great idea hope it gets approval

Not a major for MS , should be able to fix doing a update !

• Antony Pihut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to add to the same pop-up window "Create Table" a field "Table Name:" with a pre-populated "Table1" that offers to name the table as you create it.

• Heather R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GREAT idea - and yes, I'm still using "tbl_" as a prefix in building tables. The ability to have a default prefix would be nice, but at the very least let me name the table when I build it.

• Neale Blackwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tables are such an important part of Excel now that making the naming process easier and quicker is a great help.

• Jørgen Koch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good suggestion!

Generally I do the same for basic solutions and when teaching the use of tables but when building more advanced solutions I use f as prefix for fact tables and d for dimension tables.

I furthermore use qry as prefix for power queries – or only q in more advanced solutions.

I use the same name convention for pivot tables – i.e. pvtSales for the pivoted tlbSales data table, so it could be a good idea to be able to name the pivot table when creating it.

• Oz du Soleil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. It would be such a help to be able to name a table when creating the table.

Feedback and Knowledge Base