Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Lockable aspect ratio in charts.

It would be handy to be able to lock the aspect ratio of a chart. I specifically use scatterplots to display a visualization of land surveying points as a check that data entry was correct. Because UTM coordinates are so large and the extent of the survey points changes with every entry the chart continually resizes.

9 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kevin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Accepting Votes  ·  Scott Ruble (PM MSFT) responded  · 

When you say the “chart continuously resizes” are you referring to the chart’s value axis scale? The physical boundary of the chart should not resize when the data is added. When a chart is inserted, the default size is 3″×5″ which doesn’t automatically change but the user can manually change it through the Format ribbon or resizing the chart via its drag handles.

Thanks,
Scott [MSFT]

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry for the confusion. Yes the axis scales continually resize as data is added. Ideally, the major gridlines on the axis would be able to be set to a rectangle and hold that 1 to 1 aspect, essentially just changing the "zoom level" as data is added and removed.

I could see it working where if you go into the properties and set the minimum and maximum values for the axis, then you have a checkbox or whatever to hold the specified ratio.

Also, I really like that you are soliciting feedback like this. Came here from the AMA.

Feedback and Knowledge Base