Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Histogram, box plot, quantile plot, and other statistician-friendly features needed

I am regularly surprised when Excel can do complex operations using built in functions, but there is a lack of data visualization options out there. For example, a histogram, box plot, and quantile plot can provide options for visualizing and comparing data. I know these can be achieved using various add-ins (for example QI Macros), but those are never perfect and always seem hokey. Also would love to be able to do hypothesis tests (t-test, f-test, z-test, and so on) in user friendly and visual manner. Also, for all charts, please add a feature for using split column(s) to differentiate the data in a chart. Currently, you would have to have a separate column for each split to be plotted - not really the best practice. Adding these features, and more, will make Excel a competitor to some of the top data analysis software out there like JMP or Minitab or Spotfire.

50 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shaun Kumar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Scott Ruble (PM MSFT) responded  · 

In Office 2016, we released 6 new built in chart types: Treemap, Sunburst, Histogram, Pareto, Box & Whisker, and Waterfall. Checkout the following link for the top new features in Excel 2016. https://docs.com/ExcelDemos/7981/excel-2016-top-features.

However, there are several other feature requests wrapped up in this post. Please enter those as separate items so that we can respond to them individually.

Thanks,
Scott [MSFT]

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Toby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of histograms is a real pain for me and one of the reasons I use minitab for visualising most of my data nowadays. A normal distribution fit with stdev and the mean as the equation would be the icing on the cake.

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A normal probability axis, including cumulative probability option, would be wonderful. Have the option to format the axis labels as decimal, percent, or 1/p.

Feedback and Knowledge Base