Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Histogram, box plot, quantile plot, and other statistician-friendly features needed

I am regularly surprised when Excel can do complex operations using built in functions, but there is a lack of data visualization options out there. For example, a histogram, box plot, and quantile plot can provide options for visualizing and comparing data. I know these can be achieved using various add-ins (for example QI Macros), but those are never perfect and always seem hokey. Also would love to be able to do hypothesis tests (t-test, f-test, z-test, and so on) in user friendly and visual manner. Also, for all charts, please add a feature for using split column(s) to differentiate the data in a chart. Currently, you would have to have a separate column for each split to be plotted - not really the best practice. Adding these features, and more, will make Excel a competitor to some of the top data analysis software out there like JMP or Minitab or Spotfire.

50 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shaun Kumar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Scott Ruble (PM MSFT) responded  · 

In Office 2016, we released 6 new built in chart types: Treemap, Sunburst, Histogram, Pareto, Box & Whisker, and Waterfall. Checkout the following link for the top new features in Excel 2016. https://docs.com/ExcelDemos/7981/excel-2016-top-features.

However, there are several other feature requests wrapped up in this post. Please enter those as separate items so that we can respond to them individually.

Thanks,
Scott [MSFT]

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Toby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of histograms is a real pain for me and one of the reasons I use minitab for visualising most of my data nowadays. A normal distribution fit with stdev and the mean as the equation would be the icing on the cake.

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A normal probability axis, including cumulative probability option, would be wonderful. Have the option to format the axis labels as decimal, percent, or 1/p.

Feedback and Knowledge Base