How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Add ability to collapse field areas in PivotTable Field and Area Side by Side view

With the ability/normal experience of creating many DAX measures in Power Pivot, the Values area of the PivotTable design is now too small to use effectively. Since the Values area only shows about 4 rows it's really difficult to organize fields correctly when try to drag fields around if you've got 10 or more fields in your Values area. (not at all uncommon for Power Pivot users, although certainly not restricted to them.)

With the introduction of slicers, however, we also tend to use the Report Filter area less, and don't usually add as many fields to the row/column areas.

My suggestion is to allow collapsing the individual field areas in the "Field and Area side by side view". This would allow much more space to be assigned to the needed area(s) in order to allow for an easier PivotTable design/maintenance experience.

I have a full write up of the suggested change on my blog at http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/11/02/suggestion-to-improve-the-pivot-table-experience/ including screen mockups.

271 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ken PulsKen Puls shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Ken,

Thanks for logging this one, and thanks to others for voting this up.. We’ve actually had this on our list to get to for some time and have been balancing doing this against other… The more the community helps us rank it higher, the better the signal on overall importance… so, for those that haven’t voted for this but want it, do vote!

thanks
    ash [MS XL]

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Denis KostinDenis Kostin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The existing interface for a long time does not correspond to the increased requirements for the convenience of displaying a large number of fields.

• winston snyderwinston snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea Ken! We can get a bit more than 4 rows if we drag the Task Pane to another monitor and grab a corner of the Task Pane Window and make the window as large as possible. Still not enough room sometimes and should be easier rather than dragging a bunch of stuff around and working hard to maximize the window.

Feedback and Knowledge Base