How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Allow users to set/choose defaults (via settings) for PivotTables - Layout (compact, tabular, classic, etc.), PT Options, etc.

Excel 2007 introduced the new Compact Form and made it be the default for all future pivot tables. With this layout, multiple row fields are compressed into column 1 of the pivot table. This makes the data very difficult to later re-use.

My request is to add a setting in Excel Options where each person can choose their default pivot table layout. All future pivot tables will use Tabular, Outline, Compact, or Flat. (Flat is a new layout introduced by Power Pivot... it is Tabular with no Subtotals).

Additionally, the same settings area shouls allow the user to save other PivotTable options that she might find useful for all PivotTables (like not Autofitting columns on refresh, etc.)

Thanks for considering this idea.

(2016-02-18 Dan [MS]: edited idea a bit - broadened it to cover more than just PivotTable layouts - now also covers other PT settings/options)

555 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bill JelenBill Jelen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news… this feature is now available in Insiders Fast starting with build 7927.1000. Give it a whirl, we look forward to your feedback! The timing of broader release to Office 365 customers will depend on the feedback we receive from the Insiders.

For feedback or questions, use this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10/pivottables-just-got-personal/c4e1ca8c-1b6b-44a3-a8e3-cbceacc2e251.

thanks,
    ash
    [MS XL]

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ashvini Sharma (Program Manager, Microsoft)AdminAshvini Sharma (Program Manager, Microsoft) (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have joined the Insiders Fast program, you'll find the "Edit Default Layout" button in the File > Options > Data section.

If you still don't see the button, visit us at the Microsoft Answers community link in status above and add a comment in the Discussion. We'll work with you to troubleshoot any issues you might be running into.

Thank you for your help in trying out this new feature.

ash

[MS XL]

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the build 8001.1000 the ability to configure the pivot table by default has again disappeared. Where to look?

I totally endorse the need for sheet/workbook/global level pivot table defaults.
        My particular bugbears are:
        Not to default to compact layout
        Preserve source data formatting on both creation and refresh
        Preserve multi-line (not multi-row) column headings on creation

• Paul LucassenPaul Lucassen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice, currently I have added the relevant buttons to the QAT, 6 clicks and the pivot table is the way I like it, a default setting would be great.

• ArianneArianne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an option in the settings where you can check a box so that your pivot tables always default to Classic Pivot Table View. Right now, you have to manually change it to this setting each time you do a pivot table.

Amen to this suggestion! First thing I do with EVERY pivot table I create is change the layout to tabular. Very cumbersome.

• Ed HansberryEd Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This, 1,000 times this! I think every option in Pivot tables should be able to be set and saved as "my pivot table defaults."

Every table I create from an external source, I have to change it to put it in source order, not alphabetical. And Table format,.

This is what Pivot Tables need the most. We should ask for a discount on 365 subscriptions equal to the time we waste choosing the table options we want everyday.

• Linda WLinda W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add my input which is similar to all - classic view, subtotals off, tabular layout. I think a set as default option would be great.

• Neil RothbartNeil Rothbart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In full support of Classic View as the default and being able to save preferred defaults such as subtotals off, etc.

This would be awesome, it is a waste of time having to change the pivot table to classic, everytime you utilize a pivot table. Having to change the type, also adds confusion when training others to use the pivot table.

• Scott SScott S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot agree more! You should have the option to change the default setting for the Pivot Tables. It is very tedious to change this setting every time you create a Pivot Table. I can understand why they may have wanted this introduced but making this the default is not desirable for many users.

• Pat APat A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes to allowing users to set their own defaults for Pivot Tables! Personally, this would save me a little bit of time with almost every Pivot Table I build.

• James PittmanJames Pittman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a "set as default" command for Pivot Tables options. Avoids making same changes over and over for new Pivot Tables.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base