Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Allow users to set/choose defaults (via settings) for PivotTables - Layout (compact, tabular, classic, etc.), PT Options, etc.

Excel 2007 introduced the new Compact Form and made it be the default for all future pivot tables. With this layout, multiple row fields are compressed into column 1 of the pivot table. This makes the data very difficult to later re-use.

My request is to add a setting in Excel Options where each person can choose their default pivot table layout. All future pivot tables will use Tabular, Outline, Compact, or Flat. (Flat is a new layout introduced by Power Pivot... it is Tabular with no Subtotals).

Additionally, the same settings area shouls allow the user to save other PivotTable options that she might find useful for all PivotTables (like not Autofitting columns on refresh, etc.)

Thanks for considering this idea.

(2016-02-18 Dan [MS]: edited idea a bit - broadened it to cover more than just PivotTable layouts - now also covers other PT settings/options)

560 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bill Jelen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is in Excel 2019. They just don't go back and add features to old versions or perm license versions once they ship. Nothing has changed there.

Office 365 gets new features/tweaks every month usually.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for making this clear. I will just have to feel Excel envy until I can get my hands on Office 2018!

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you buy the perpetual license, you pretty much get what you get plus security and bug fixes. All of the new features in the Office 365 versions will be in office 2018.

That is how their subscription model works.

When will this joyous development be made available to all? I have Office Professional Plus 2016 and our IT manager says this new feature is available to Office365 users only.

• Chris Alvarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RE: "Completed"

When will this hit DoD? Right now DoD does not use O365, so will this be a patch available to apply to Office 2016?

• AdminAshvini Sharma (Lead Program Manager, Microsoft) (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have joined the Insiders Fast program, you'll find the "Edit Default Layout" button in the File > Options > Data section.

If you still don't see the button, visit us at the Microsoft Answers community link in status above and add a comment in the Discussion. We'll work with you to troubleshoot any issues you might be running into.

Thank you for your help in trying out this new feature.

ash

[MS XL]

In the build 8001.1000 the ability to configure the pivot table by default has again disappeared. Where to look?

I totally endorse the need for sheet/workbook/global level pivot table defaults.
    My particular bugbears are:
    Not to default to compact layout
    Preserve source data formatting on both creation and refresh
    Preserve multi-line (not multi-row) column headings on creation

• Paul Lucassen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice, currently I have added the relevant buttons to the QAT, 6 clicks and the pivot table is the way I like it, a default setting would be great.

• Arianne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an option in the settings where you can check a box so that your pivot tables always default to Classic Pivot Table View. Right now, you have to manually change it to this setting each time you do a pivot table.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base