Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Paste Excel charts into Word as EMF by default (not big blurry PNG!)

Charts pasted to Word as Enhanced MetaFile look better and are much, much smaller that the PNG files generated by default. This has consequences for PDF exporting. A Word report with more than a couple of charts ends up as a multi-megabyte PDF file, when using EMFs yields files in the low hundreds of kB. Please add an option in either program to use EMF as the default format.

21 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

eugenio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Accepting Votes  ·  Scott Ruble (PM MSFT) responded  · 

Thanks for the feature suggestion. We’ll definitely consider changing this default. Please continue to vote on this feature idea which will increase its chance of getting in the product.

Thanks,
Scott [MSFT]

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree wholeheartedly. We have graduate students who paste from excel into word or powerpoint on a regular basis. Most are experts at running the numbers but have less experience with other features. They are often on tight submission schedules and I get panicked calls when the quality of the pasted image is blurry. It would be awesome if the default was of good quality.

• Gyula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be absolutely necessary to be able to set the default paste method to EMF. I think I have already clicked away a few hours of my lifetime by choosing EMF each time I place a diagram.

Should I write (and rewrite at each upgrade) a macro just like I do for 'paste plain text only'?

MS, are you asleep or do you have some hidden agenda by omitting such basic features?

• DS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually the main problem is that the default is a Microsoft Office Graphic Object which is rarely suitable. The object is linked to the spreadsheet that it's pasted from: change the spreadsheet and you change the Word document. I can't think of any time I've wanted that. I put things into Word to illuminate a report I'm writing, for example. I might well have a collection of data in Excel that I'll use to illustrate different parts of the report. It's very annoying to generate a series of charts to show different things, paste them in one by one and then discover that the early charts have turned themselves into the later ones. It took me some time to realise that I had to paste them in as pictures (EMF is best). I still forget periodically. If there's a way of making EMF the default I don't know what it is. I can only see choices for pasting text.

Feedback and Knowledge Base