Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

A Better Back Button

While Excel does have a back button (it's well hidden), it's not very good.

In a big multi-sheet workbook, a good Back button would make simple tasks such as copying data between sheets, or anything else where you want to return to those cells you were on a few minutes ago, much easier. Currently this navigation is utterly tedious and breaks the flow of using Excel.

The current back button only registers that it can go back occasionally, seems to have a tiny memory, and doesn't take you back to individual cells or ranges.

If you want a good example of what it should do, see the Back button's functionality in Visual Studio. It will step back through every line of code you've recently visited.

5 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark McDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been wanting a back button for years. It should be similar in functionality to the back buttons found in internet browsers - easy to find and use. This would save time going back to the tab of the workbook you were previously working on.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Posted 15 months ago and only 3 votes for something that I wish for literally every day that I use Excel with a large workbook :/

• eugenio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great suggestion. Also check the back and forward buttons in the PDF-XChange viewer program; it will take you through every single view you just had of a PDF file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base