Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the black and grey boxes that cover the screen when you scroll

Whenever I scroll too fast in Excel on my PC black and grey boxes appear everywhere and cover what I am working on. This is incredibly frustrating because there is no way to get rid of the boxes.

This only happens on my external display and it only happens in Excel.

Please fix this issue.

https://superuser.com/questions/1053006/excel-grey-and-black-boxes-on-secondary-display

60 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

49 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for opening this item and the feedback folks! Please provide more info on the type of Display monitors that you experience this issue with. Also continue voting on this which will increase its likelihood of getting prioritized for fixing in the product.

thanx,
      Prash [MSFT]

• Provide IBCS-Charts

or buy ZebraBI (Add-In) www.zebrabi.com

7 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By IBCS, I assume you are referring to “International Business Communication Standards”. Could you provide more detail on what you are specifically looking for? IBCS is pretty broad.

Thanks,
        Scott [MSFT]

• UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER

It is necessary to add A UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER similar to file manager for OS. Plus different small features as toggling, vertical tabs and so on.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Quit having a spreadsheet reopen in a different size than it was when it was closed

When I close a spreadsheet, it is the size I want it to be. But when I reopen it, Excel is as likely as not to have "decided" that it knows better than I do what I want, and it reopens in a different size. Sorry, but I do know better than Excel does what I want, and resent the arrogance displayed in changing my preferences. Make it stop!!!

40 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you say that it opens a different size – can you give more info? Do you mean the application window is a different size (it shouldn’t be) or that the font sizes (zoom) are different? (again, they shouldn’t be)

Additionally, if you can post a video of what you’re seeing, that would be a big help for us.

If there is a problem here, it’s definitely something we’d want to fix.

Cheers,
            Dan [MS]

• Better testing with large, complex workbooks

I work with a large, complex workbook (several MBytes, about 150 worksheets). Excel crashes several times per day, and even crashes Windows 10 regularly with a stack overflow. Simple VBA code that works with small workbooks will regularly crash Excel (e.g., For Each ws In wb.Worksheets; do something simple; next ws). I suspect that the problems are memory or stack related, but my real request is for the testers to specifically create test cases based on huge workbooks, then see what happens.

15 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d love to get samples of these workbooks that are crashing, along with steps that cause them to crash. Until then, there’s not much we can do without more data.

If you have such a workbook, please create a new idea entitled “I have a workbook that crashes, which I want to send you” and I’ll get back to you with an email address where you can send it so we can take a look and fix the problem.

Thanks!
              Dan [MS]

• 4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What type of deeper integration for charting are you looking for? Currently, most of the UI is shared and they use the same charting engine.

Thanks,
                Scott [MSFT]

• Increase number of series from 255 to atleast 1000

For technical or scientific data (eg band structures) we need many data series charted before narrowing down to fewer. The series limit is very annoying and has no fix except to go to open source or a different app.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you provide some additional examples or use cases where you need more than 255 series? We want to better understand the scenarios of usage.

Thanks,
                  Scott [MSFT]

• Max - MIN

I understand that this is a really easy function to do yourself. But I can imagine all the people feeling dumb for searching for it for a few minutes before resorting to the peasant method of typing two functions that are always put together in almost every Excel spreadsheet ever.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give a bit more detail on what you’re looking for here? I’m not sure I understand from your description.

Is it the MAX of a range minus the MIN of that same range?

Cheers,
                    Dan [MS]

• Improve Data Visualization (Analytics) and/or Charting options -- thus making EXCEL the defacto app.

Improvement should include more options (including 3D) than presently available -- bringing more up to par with other offerings (such as Tableau, Prezi, etc.)

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very broad statement. Please provide additional details on the specific features that you would like to see. Ideally log those as spate feature requests so that others can vote on them individually.

Thanks,
                      Scott [MSFT]

• 1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • provide new chart type: Turnip Chart from Dartmouth Atlas; I have sas code that does it

provide new chart type: Turnip Chart from Dartmouth Atlas; I have sas code that does it

SAS Code

%let gpath='.';
                        %let dpi=200;

data mydata;
                        format percent percentn9.2;
                        format cum_percent percentn9.2;
                        input mpg freq percent cum_percent;
                        percent=percent/100;
                        cum_percent=cum_percent/100;
                        Cat='A';
                        datalines;
                        11.57101 2 2.70 2.70
                        13.88521 8 10.81 13.51
                        16.19941 8 10.81 24.32
                        18.51361 17 22.97 47.30
                        20.82781 8 10.81 58.11
                        23.14201 12 16.22 74.32
                        25.45621 8 10.81 85.14
                        27.77042 3 4.05 89.19
                        30.08462 4 5.41 94.59
                        34.71302 3 4.05 98.65
                        41.65562 1 1.35 100.00
                        ;
                        run;

/*--Expand the data--*/
                        data expand;
                        set mydata;
                        do i=1 to freq;
                        output;
                        end;
                        run;

/*--Draw…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • my calendar insight

Make it possible to generate my calendar insight for a group in the "template my calendar insight". For example for a mail group with approval or for a calendar group if it's shared.
                          A group insight will be very beneficial in decision making and improving productivity etc.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ziyan,

Can you give a bit more info about how you see this feature being applicable to and working in Excel?

Thanks,
                            Dan [MS]

• Add a setting/option where all CSV/delimited files are opened as "Text"

Add a setting called
                            "Open text-delimited files (CSV, etc) as text only, with no type inference."

When this setting is active, then every column's format will be "Text" when a CSV or other such file is opened, so that the initial view is exactly the text represented in the CSV.

47 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback!

Can you comment on whether you expect this to basically import all the lines as text to column A, or if you have some other expectation?

Also, I’m assuming people refer here to the file/open path, and not to the Data/From-Text or New-Query/From-Text path.

• Improve the precision of object placement on charts

Since Excel 10, the precision of placed objects like lines on charts has deteriorated. For example, drawing a 45 degree line on a chart from one corner to the other is very imprecise because it seems the cursor has trouble picking up the correct pixel in the chart axes corner. Sometimes the chart has to be resized to nail the placement down.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to provide a sample file that illustrates the problem or more specific repro steps?

Thanks,
                                Scott [MSFT]

• Axis title high-low option for charts.

For some unknown reason, excel chart always flips my data so that the first data point is at the bottom of the y axis. As a result, I always have to select 'reverse order' so that the data appears in the order that I type it. Annoying, but not a major problem. However, the x-axis title is now always at the top, and there is no option to select 'high' to place it at the bottom of the chart.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m not able to reproduce the problem you are describing. Can you send me more explicit steps that are needed to reproduce it and a sample file?

Thanks,
                                  Scott [MSFT]

• Improve shortcuts so every Excel instaled machine has the same shortcut

Depend on the machine I have been working, shortcuts are different. Please, could you providing this improvement?

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give me more details? Are all of the machines PCs? Mac/PC mix? What keyboard shortcuts are different (and how)?

Thanks,
                                    Dan [MS]

• Pre-formatted templates for data visualisation (e.g. tables, charts)

I see this as a modernisation, ease of use of good old excel for people who are not advanced users, or people who don't have time or many people who only need basic features - e.g. tables and (related) charts.

I love the idea I could just dump data and instantly have a nice outcome/visualisation, potentially in a box, so I could see the template coming alive as I dump/amend data.

To wrap up, all the user would need to do is to copy/paste data to populate the fields for the templates. No further action required from users, no need…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea. I just want make sure I understand it. Are you suggesting that we automatically create a chart when data is put in the grid? If not, is there an example you could provide?

Thanks,
                                      Scott [MSFT]

• Allow double byte languages in dialogs

Many dialog boxes display gibberish when double-byte languages (kanji/chinese/etc) should be displayed. Some dialog boxes allow these, while others do not. Please enable all programming objects to use/store/display double byte.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Dave,

Can you list the dialogs where you see a problem (and the version of Excel that you’re using)?

Thanks,
                                        Dan [MS]

• unstable

Excel freezes; unstable can't handle large number of large files. New features are great but would rather have more stable product

13 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Help us make this more actionable by providing more information, Joshua. How many files do you have opened when you run into issues? What’re these kinds of issues? Have you already contacted support?

thanks
                                          ash

• Allow the pivottable to not aggregate data (e.g. show values)

I need to create a matrix in Excel that doesn't aggregate (e.g. Sum/Count) values. The question of how to do this has been asked dozens of times online over the last couple of years, but still there is no solution. Can Excel therefore produce a plain matrix, or allow pivottables to output plain (unmodified) values from the data field list?

23 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base