Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Disable time grouping

The new automatic time grouping in PivotTables should be an option within Excel. Users should not need to make a registry edit to disable this feature, and the time grouping should not be on by default.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

49 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

This ability to turn off time grouping from the UI was recently added to the O365 version of Excel. File→Options→Advanced→Data→“Disable automatic grouping of Data/Time columns in PivotTables”.

We’re considering adding this back to the perpetual release of Office 16. Until that’s available, you can also turn it off manually using the registry, outlined in this article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-off-time-grouping-in-PivotTables-in-Excel-2016-for-Windows-6be5afed-348c-4db2-9f87-5ac262d67b3f.

Regards
      Ashvini Sharma [MS]

• 12 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update (July 25)

Hi again Erik,

This issues should be fixed in our August 2nd update.

If it isn’t, pls reach out to me directly at myfirstname dot mylastname at microsoft dot com.

Thanks again for raising it.
        ash

Program Manager
        Excel

Hi Erik,

Boy, you’ve been having quite a saga here. Even though this site is for new requests, appreciate finding out about this. I’m reaching out to Brian to understand what’s happening so far.

thanks
        ash [Microsoft Excel]

• Found an error in Excel 2016 help documentation

The results column in the help window for the index function just mirrors the formula. Looks like it's because there's an apostrophe before the formula. Not sure where to report this. Looks like it's the same for 2013 too.

Screen shot can be found here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-excel/found-an-error-in-excel-2016-help-documentation/410a27a3-0b3b-41c7-a99c-8fc2ff323542?tm=1472245876517

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • HTML formatted files (with an XLS extension) no longer opened

Since a recent update HTML formatted files with .xls extension are no longer opened. When downloading such a file Excel opens but does not open the file anymore, it just shows a blank screen, no error message. This used to work for years and was very easy to create reports from our intranet by just sending HTML files with Excel headers out. Because of this we now have to re-engineer all reports, please bring the functionality back.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

We’ve released a fix for this issue. I’m copying the official release notes for it here, as this is part of several different updates to several different versions of Office:

The Excel team has released a change in behavior in today’s security update for Excel 2010, 2013, and 2016. Excel will warn about the mismatch between the file extension and HTML content, but will now open the workbook in Protected View as an additional layer of security. If you trust the workbook, you can then enable editing. The behavior of .xla and .xlam files will remain the same.

How do I get the update? It depends on which version of Office you have.
            • Office 365 subscription (Click-to-Run)—install the latest updates
            • Windows Installer version (MSI)—you could wait about a week for the next security update for MSI, and it will update automatically. Or, to…

• Allow me to submit missing Polygons in 3D Maps

Allow me to submit missing polygons from the page that mentions it so I can get them fixed faster. 3D maps is no good if it won't show the polygons for a territory.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjApVpgq6WQ0h6JwzoqyAzQ4XbnuKQ

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can submit feedback through the “Send a Smile” mechanism. Click on the smiley face in the upper right corner of Excel.

Thanks,
              Scott [MSFT]

• error in support page

in the support page: https://support.office.com/it-it/article/Rilevare-gli-errori-nelle-formule-3a8acca5-1d61-4702-80e0-99a36a2822c1?ui=it-IT&rs=it-IT&ad=IT there's an error.

in particular at the point:
              Excel visualizza questo errore quando un valore non è disponibile per una funzione o una formula.

Se si usa una funzione come CERCA.VERT, il valore cercato ha una corrispondenza nell'intervallo di ricerca? Nella maggior parte dei casi non è così.

Provare a usare SE.ERRORE per eliminare l'errore #N/D. In questo caso si può usare:

=SE.ERRORE(CERCA.VERT(D2;$D$6:$E$8;2;VERO),0)

the correct formula is:

=SE.ERRORE(CERCA.VERT(D2;$D$6:$E$8;2;VERO);0)

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • let pen usage toggle between inking and pointer

The January 2016 Office update defaults the Surface Pen to an inking tool. Most Excel users prefer to use the pen as a pointer. Please give us a toggle in the ribbon to switch between inking and pointing.

155 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

(2016-03-15 – Completed) (Edit: Added link to Office Insider signup)

I wanted to let everyone know that in the update to Office that started rolling out to Insiders today, you will find a new preference in the Options dialog to allow you to make the pen select instead of ink by default. Enabling this preference will make the pen function exactly like it did before, plus you can use the options on the Draw tab if you do decide you want to ink. If you are an Office Insider (which anyone can join – https://products.office.com/en-us/office-insider), you should get this update within the next day or so. If you are not an Office Insider, it may take another week or two to reach you.

This is a per-app preference, so you can enable selection by default in Excel for instance while leaving ink as the default in Word and PowerPoint,…

• Kill nested IFs

What about a function like =ELSEIF([if1]; [then1]; [elseif2]; [then2]; [elseif3]; [then3]; ...)

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Increase usable memory or switch to 64-bit Excel as recommended version.

Being limited to 2 GB of memory usage for Excel seems ridiculous in this day and age. Large files are more and more common, and the newer versions of excel (2013 and 2016), particularly VBA-containing sheets, seem to experience major performance changes based on how many files are open. Being forced to close all other sheets just to run VBA code in one is annoying.

Can you either make changes to increase the usable memory or make whatever shifts are necessary to be able to recommend the 64-bit version of excel as standard? At this point the performance impact of…

9 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all, great news!

32-bit Excel 2016 build 16.0.6868.2060 onwards is enabled for Large Address Aware. This will allow 32-bit Excel 2016 to consume beyond 2 GB virtual memory… up to 3 GB on x86 Windows and 4 GB on x64 Windows. We believe this should help alleviate some of the out-of-memory related errors seen before when memory is constrained for 32-bit Excel, for more details see KB3160741 here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3160741

Also – I should note that this idea covered two topics – more memory for 32-bit Excel, as well as making 64-bit Excel the default/standard. I’ve created another idea on UserVoice that you can vote on if you’d like to see 64-bit Excel as the standard: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/13795662-create-a-64-bit-version-of-excel

Cheers,
                      Dan [MS]

• Excel Ink Broken in NEW ways

Fix The Pen, Now. I spent $$$$$$ on the Surface Book, and now the main purpose of buying it is DEAD.

Specifically, Excel sporadically chooses when and when not to allow pen for inking. Sometimes there is an invisible box where writing isn't allowed. Sometimes it works okay, but I am literally in the cold sweat mode hoping it works each time. Maybe I need counseling?

By the way, I have an audience of 50-100 future business managers every day, watching me use this. I get a new group every 3-4 months. Guess what I complain about!?

Fix it. Then…

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• No more warnings about saving as CSV, especially when I didn't change anything

I don't know how many hundreds (thousands?) of times I've told Excel that, yes, I really truly do mean to save this file as a CSV. I recognize that not all users will understand that CSV doesn't do cool formulas or formatting, etc., but I do and I still want to do it. And I want to do it a lot. Please, give me a way to opt out of these useless warnings!

1,197 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-09-07

We’re done – you should no longer get a warning dialog about data loss when saving a file as CSV, as long as the file was originally opened as a CSV file.

Instead, we’ve added a non-intrusive business bar (that you can ignore if you choose) that let’s you quickly Save As the file if you have made changes that are not savable in CSV; if you ignore it and just Save, we’ll just save out the CSV values as you’d expect.

We actually rolled this out starting on August 13, 2016 with build 16.0.7167.2040 for O365 users. Later builds have this update as well of course.

Thanks for participating in UserVoice – we definitely value your input. You can now use whatever votes you’d allocated for this idea for other ideas.

Cheers,
                          Dan [MS]

= started status 2016-06-15 =

Great news – we’re working on this…

• 3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow users to set/choose defaults (via settings) for PivotTables - Layout (compact, tabular, classic, etc.), PT Options, etc.

Excel 2007 introduced the new Compact Form and made it be the default for all future pivot tables. With this layout, multiple row fields are compressed into column 1 of the pivot table. This makes the data very difficult to later re-use.

My request is to add a setting in Excel Options where each person can choose their default pivot table layout. All future pivot tables will use Tabular, Outline, Compact, or Flat. (Flat is a new layout introduced by Power Pivot... it is Tabular with no Subtotals).

Additionally, the same settings area shouls allow the user to save other…

561 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Fix the 'Apply Names' bug that corrupts formulas or crashes Excel

As already reported in

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/when-will-the-apply-names-bug-in-excel-be-fixed/0eb23d54-fbf0-4c64-8bad-cf52bc32547f?auth=1

The Apply Names command loses parts of formulas and in certain cases Excel will crash.

This bug is in Excel 2010 and 2013 and 2016, not in Excel 2007 or 2003.
                              To reproduce this, follow these steps.

Enter 2 in B1 and 3 in B2
                              Enter =B1 in A4
                              Enter =B2 in A5

Give $B$1 the name "value_1"
                              Give $B$2 the name "value_2"

Enter the formulas below starting in B4, and then click Names > Apply Names and select both names.

=B2/B1
                              =$B$2/$B$1
                              =$B$2/B1
                              =B2/$B$1

In B4 The expected result is =value_2/value_1, what you get…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

I just read through the answers.microsoft.com post that you linked to, and it appears that this is fixed in Excel 2016 build 16.0.6568.2025.

Also, we’d like to try to keep this uservoice site for new feature ideas, rather than for bug fixes (which answers.microsoft.com is targeted at.)

Cheers,
                                Dan [MS]

• Recent Files pane in Excel 2013 was pretty good, but Excel 2016 broke it (Pin pinning recent files no longer sorts alphabetically)

In Excel 2013, you could pin recently opened files to the top of the list, and they would be sorted alphabetically. This way, you could easily get the same file by using keyboard shortcuts. For example, Alt-F-R-1 opened the first one on the list, alphabetically. The order stayed constant until you pinned or unpinned a file.

In Excel 2016, the files are listed chronologically, so Alt-F-R-1 opened the most recently used one. If you wanted to get a certain one, you have to wait to see where it is in the list. This is a TERRIBLE change. I keep opening…

221 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

151 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

= 2016-12-09 =
                                  Hi all,

The MRU should be sorting alphabetically again if you’re using build 16.0.7466.2038 or later. You can find your build number under File > Account.

Cheers,
                                  Dan [MS]

= 2016-09-22 =
                                  Hello,

I noticed a few reports of folks not seeing alphabetized MRUs anymore so I followed up with the Office team (it’s shared across Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) that owns this.

Turns out that they rolled it out in July (and then we posted here that the work was completed) but then ran into some bugs and so disabled the feature on the MRU-service side.

That bug has been fixed, and they are planning to roll it out again in October.

Cheers,
                                  Dan [MS]

= 2016-07-11 =
                                  Greetings,

Good news on the recent files front – pinned files are now sorted alphabetically, as they were in previous versions of Office (and Excel).

To see…

• When filtering allow boxes on right of filter values to auto unselect all & select value

When you are filtering a worksheet, when hitting the drop down value we get a (Select all) and a check box for each data value. Rather than having to unselect all and scroll to the items you want to check to display allow a checkbox to the right of the values to simulate the unselect all and check current item. Then continue checking items as usual if needed. Very helpful on larger data filtering.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Unselecting all items in the filter dialog/drop down can be done with the “(Select All)” item that is checked by default — if you uncheck that, then it will unselect all of the items in the list and you can continue to select just the items you want to filter on.

Hope that helps,
                                    Dan [MS]

• I would like to not have to select a range in VBA in order to to apply a Border. How to do it now: Range("J44:M44").Select With Selection.Bo

I would like to not have to select a range in VBA in order to to apply a Border.
                                    How to do it now:
                                    Range("J44:M44").Select
                                    With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeTop)
                                    .Weight = xlMedium
                                    End With

Change to, no selection :
                                    Range("J44:M44").Borders(xlEdgeTop).Weight = xlMedium
                                    Thanks, David

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Support saving CSV in UTF-8 encoding

Currently, if I create a CSV file with Excel, it can only be saved in ANSI format, turning all special characters to garbage. I would like to be able to save it in UTF-8.

I know I can save it in the "unicode text" format, but the problems with that are:
                                      1) It uses tabs instead of comma.
                                      2) The encoding is not UTF-8, making it alien to other applications.

250 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-11-01——————-

Great news here folks – we’ve completed our work on this feature and Excel will support a new CSV format using UTF-8 encoding.

This fix still needs to make it through our release pipeline, but you should see it as an option once you have a build equal to or later than 16.0.7466.2023.

Cheers,
                                        Dan [MS]

2016-06-28———————-
                                        Good news – we’ve started work on this.
                                        Cheers,
                                        Dan [MS]

older——————-
                                        Thanks for the suggestion Doron. As Dan mentioned in the comments, we’re watching this one. I’ve seen a number of other suggestions related to CSVs as well. We’ll keep our eyes open here and take a look at the highly voted things in this space. As always, keep the votes coming to help us do a good job prioritizing your favorite asks to the top.
                                        Cheers,
                                        John [MS XL]

• Please add MAXIF and MINIF

It would just be so useful to have this. Thanks!

40 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-04-19

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know that we’ve released MAXIFS and MINIFS to Excel as part of Office 365. If you’re a subscriber you should already have (or see soon) these functions in your arsenal.

Cheers,
                                          Dan [MS]

2015-11 ========
                                          Hi there,

Great news – we’re working on this! Actually, we’re working on MAXIFS and MINIFS – even better :-)

Cheers,
                                          Dan [MS]

• Histogram, box plot, quantile plot, and other statistician-friendly features needed

I am regularly surprised when Excel can do complex operations using built in functions, but there is a lack of data visualization options out there. For example, a histogram, box plot, and quantile plot can provide options for visualizing and comparing data. I know these can be achieved using various add-ins (for example QI Macros), but those are never perfect and always seem hokey. Also would love to be able to do hypothesis tests (t-test, f-test, z-test, and so on) in user friendly and visual manner. Also, for all charts, please add a feature for using split column(s) to differentiate…

50 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Office 2016, we released 6 new built in chart types: Treemap, Sunburst, Histogram, Pareto, Box & Whisker, and Waterfall. Checkout the following link for the top new features in Excel 2016. https://docs.com/ExcelDemos/7981/excel-2016-top-features.

However, there are several other feature requests wrapped up in this post. Please enter those as separate items so that we can respond to them individually.

Thanks,
                                            Scott [MSFT]

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base