Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add icons for font superscript and subscript so we can put them on the QAT

Word has direct access (with icons) on the ribbon for subscripting and superscripting characters, but Excel can do so only via the Home...Font menu item. Scientists and engineers need to use subscript and superscript characters when writing mathematical and chemical formulas. Please copy the subscript and superscript icons in Word, and make them available to the Customize QAT feature.

368 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

60 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Enable collaboration with others editting in Excel desktop

In Word and PowerPoint you can collaborate from the desktop as well as online. In excel, whenever anyone opens the document on desktop others get locked out of editing and can only view. This is a problem for our organisation since occasionally remote team members need to edit the file on desktop but failure to close down the document properly (either accidentally or because the OS somehow did not release the file lock which has happened on Mac's) means the entire team is suddenly unable to work for extended periods until we track down the culprit.

213 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

= 2017-03-28 =

Hi all,

Great news – as of today, we’ve released co-authoring in Excel for Windows Desktop to anyone who is in the Insiders Fast group. If you’re an O365 subscriber, you can get yourself into that group by going to http://office.com/insider

Once you are an Insider (Fast), you can co-author on files stored in OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, with anyone editing in Excel Online, or Excel on mobile (Android, Windows, and iOS).

We’d love to hear how it goes, and we encourage you to invite anyone you work with to also update to Insiders Fast (so that you can co-author with them).

You can read more at https://blogs.office.com/2017/03/28/new-office-365-march-co-authoring-excel/

Cheers,
        Dan [MS]

= older =
        Hi folks,
        As Guy mentioned, we are working on this now. It’s a lot of work, so it’s not going to be done super-quick, but rest assured that this is…

• Maintain copied data on the clipboard even if the "dancing ants" aren't shown around the copied range (Copy-paste clipboard persistence)

If I copy [ctrl-c] a cell, then type in another cell, then try pasting, no result. No paste. It would be nice if Excel would maintain the copied data on the clipboard even after the dancing ants no longer appeared, so that I could paste that data.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - updated idea title and description to be clearer)

224 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

64 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add User Voice Button to Excel interface

To add a button to reach this page directly when there is a new idea to work on ... Ideas will come more fresh and easier to describe..

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news – we’ve started work on this.

The plan is to have a button under the File menu (something like File > Feedback > Submit Ideas for Excel) that will bring users here to UserVoice.

Cheers,
              Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base