Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable collaboration with others editting in Excel desktop

In Word and PowerPoint you can collaborate from the desktop as well as online. In excel, whenever anyone opens the document on desktop others get locked out of editing and can only view. This is a problem for our organisation since occasionally remote team members need to edit the file on desktop but failure to close down the document properly (either accidentally or because the OS somehow did not release the file lock which has happened on Mac's) means the entire team is suddenly unable to work for extended periods until we track down the culprit.

193 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

49 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

As Guy mentioned, we are working on this now. It’s a lot of work, so it’s not going to be done super-quick, but rest assured that this is something the team is focused on.

Note: We’d still love to get votes for this request if it’s important to you.

Thanks,
      Dan [MS]

• QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

62 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow users to set/choose defaults (via settings) for PivotTables - Layout (compact, tabular, classic, etc.), PT Options, etc.

Excel 2007 introduced the new Compact Form and made it be the default for all future pivot tables. With this layout, multiple row fields are compressed into column 1 of the pivot table. This makes the data very difficult to later re-use.

My request is to add a setting in Excel Options where each person can choose their default pivot table layout. All future pivot tables will use Tabular, Outline, Compact, or Flat. (Flat is a new layout introduced by Power Pivot... it is Tabular with no Subtotals).

Additionally, the same settings area shouls allow the user to save other…

547 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news… this feature is now available in Insiders Fast starting with build 7927.1000. Give it a whirl, we look forward to your feedback! The timing of broader release to Office 365 customers will depend on the feedback we receive from the Insiders.

For feedback or questions, use this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10/pivottables-just-got-personal/c4e1ca8c-1b6b-44a3-a8e3-cbceacc2e251.

thanks,
          ash
          [MS XL]

• Add User Voice Button to Excel interface

To add a button to reach this page directly when there is a new idea to work on ... Ideas will come more fresh and easier to describe..

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news – we’ve started work on this.

The plan is to have a button under the File menu (something like File > Feedback > Submit Ideas for Excel) that will bring users here to UserVoice.

Cheers,
            Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.