Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ctrl+Tab to switch between worksheets

Just as we use Alt+Tab to switch between two workbooks, let Ctrl+Tab switch between two worksheets in a workbook.

65 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

27 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback folks. Good news – Ctrl+ page up/down already does this. Ctrl+tab will switch between active books. So I’m going to close this one out under the assumption that people weren’t familiar with the existing shortcuts.

Cheers,
      John [MS XL]

• 39 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Open new excel documents in new windows so that window management actually works

Opening a document will not create a new window, and navigating multiple excel sheets is a pain. Please add an option to open all new documents as separate windows.

26 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make subscription versions of Office 365 work (make new features available) even when I'm not connected to the internet / am offline.

In the past Office worked independently of the Internet. Now I'm forced to have an Internet connection to get anything done. I pay my annual fee and should be able to use all Office Products when offline.

15 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

This isn’t an Excel specific issue (so there’s nothing we can do in Excel to change this), but I’ll try to give a bit of info here to be helpful.

With Office 365, you don’t need to be connected to the internet at all times in order to use the “new” (subscription) functionality that is part of the monthly/annual fee. Office licensing has a “heartbeat” that checks your license and then caches that information locally for the times when you’re offline. That cache lasts for about a month – so as long as you connect to the internet monthly, you shouldn’t run into a problem where features aren’t working.

That may not solve everyone’s problem (I realize there are some people with no internet connection at all, and a non-subscription version of Office may be better in those situations), but hopefully it helps a bit.

Cheers,
            Dan [MS]

• Bring back the Split Box

You used to have a split box above/to the side of the scroll bars. This went in 2013 for some reason - there was no justification:
            https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Discontinued-features-and-changed-functionality-in-Excel-2013-c417e377-26c6-4f43-be6d-16718dd75ffa#__toc342560933

Please can we have this back?

9 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While the split control is no longer above the scroll bars, it is still available in Excel. To add it to your Ribbon or QAT, you can:

1. Start Excel
              2. File > Options > Customize (QAT or Ribbon)
              3. Choose commands from “All Commands”
              4. Find the “Split Window” command
              5. Add it to your QAT (or to the ribbon).

Hope that helps!

Dan [MS]

• mouse scroll wheel should work in the vba module

mouse scroll wheel should work in the vba module

7 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow a value from the data be added as a label within a chart in Excel

When creating a chart in Excel, allow user to be able to add as a "text box" anywhere in the chart a value from a calculation of the data anywhere within the file.

6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • There needs to be a "track changes" button like the one on Microsoft word.

Word has an icon and ability to track changes to your document. This needs to be installed on Excel instead of leaving comments. This makes it easy to work with when sending an excel document to other people.

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There is already a track changes button on the Review tab of the ribbon (enable it by first selecting “share workbook”).

However, selecting this item does limit the types of changes you can make in your workbook, so you may find that it’s not as useful as you’d like.

Longer term, we want to build a system that tracks changes made by users via a service so that you can go back to any point in time in a spreadsheet’s life.

Cheers,
                    Dan [MS]

• Bring back the ability to design your own button image

Excel 2003 & prior allowed the user to add a button to their toolbar and then edit/redesign the image thereon by changing the colour of the pixels. However, since XL2007 users are limited to a very poor choice of fixed images that requires an obscure mind to relate them to any macro they create!

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Col,

Even in versions of Excel (Office really) after 2003, you can still add your own custom icons. Zack has linked to a couple resources below that outline how to do this.

Cheers,
                      Dan [MS]

• date format is impossible to change

When typing in a date such as this: "7/15" it is impossible to make this value show up in a new worksheet as 7/15/currentYear in a format I want. It will always show up as "15-jul" or "dd-mmm". Yes, the date will be correct, it will also be correct for the USA, but it's not in a visual format that I like and I have to manually change the cell format because there's no universal way to make this setting.

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported in Excel today. Right click the cell, select Format Cells > Number tab > Date, and then choose the date format you’d like.

Hope that helps,
                        Dan [MS]

• Allow single spreadsheet to be opened in multiple windows

My suggestion is to allow a single workbook to be opened in multiple windows. For example, I have a spreadsheet with two tabs. Formulas on one tab reference cells on a the other tab. If I were able to open each tab simultaneously in its own window, I would be able to much more easily and quickly edit and troubleshoot a spreadsheet. This would be especially useful if one were using two or more monitors.

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • I think the default way to format a time should be HH:MM:SS.000

Currently the default time format is MM:SS.0 which I don't find helpful because I don't know which hour the time is from. Alternatively we should able to set a default time format for Excel

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The default time format is taken from your system time format. In US English, it is h:mm:ss AM/PM

(actually it is [$-x-systime]h:mm:ss AM/PM)

Cheers,
                            Dan [MS]

• When saving a new file or using "Save as", list all the file names in the folder that is selected, not just files that Excel knows.

I often create related files for the same topic. For example, I may create a word document and then want to create a related Excel file that contains related data, and I want to give both the same name. I would like to see this capability in all the Office products. These products used to work this way.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Use Office standard of Ctr+Shift+C/V to cut & paste cell style

Many Office apps allow you to select text style with a Ctrl+Shift+C, and paste it with Ctrl+Shift+V. Implementing this in Excel for the Format Painter would eliminate a relatively slow mouse-heavy operation.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Excel already supports this. Simply Ctrl+C to copy the format you want, and then Ctrl+Alt+V, T to paste formatting. (That’s Past Special > Formats)

Cheers,
                                Dan [MS]

• Writting a paragraph instead of one straight line

when you want to write something I hate to expand the A,B,C... to make all my writing fit in one box, make it so that I can write down make it look like a paragraph instead of one hugeeeeee sentence.

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

You can do this already today in Excel – two different ways to achieve slightly different results:

1. You can write one long line and then click “Wrap text” from the “Home” tab of the ribbon

2. You can use Alt + Enter to go to a new line (equivalent to using Enter in Word). When you do this, the Wrap Text formatting will be applied automatically as well.

Hope that helps, let us know if you love it!

Cheers,
                                  Dan [MS]

• Be able to pastspecial the content (basically the code) of a specific Cell without entering in the cell and select/copy the line

For example if the content in Cell A1=SUM(B1:C1), you should be to paste this content: "=SUM(B1:C1)" where you want, for example in Cell A5, without locking cells. It could be useful when we have to copy and paste formulas from a workbook to another one (without the problem of REF)

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Simone,

You can do this in Excel already today. Instead of copying the entire cell (by selecting the cell in the grid), double click on the cell to enter edit mode, select the formula, and copy it.

Paste that into the destination and it won’t adjust.

Cheers,
                                    Dan [MS]

• colour cells

Be able to calculate the occurrences of cells with coloured background.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Amy,

This is already possible in Excel today.

1. Press Ctrl+F to open the find dialog.
                                      2. Click “Advanced”
                                      3. Click on the “Format” button and select the format (cell colour) you want to count
                                      4. Click Find All

The find dialog will list the count of occurrences of that formatting that you selected.

Cheers,
                                      Dan [MS]

• Reduce the wasted space above the spreadsheet!

Reduce the wasted space in the spreadsheet. Referring to the ribbons and spaces above the actual spreadsheet. Especially when viewing multiple files in horizontal arrangement, where there are groupings, the actual viewable spreadsheet real estate is tiny. Very annoying and unproductive having to constant scroll up/down the multiple files. In the past, it was possible to lessen the wasted space but somehow with the new ribbon design, you forgot why people use spreadsheets in the first place, which is to look at data not view the scenary.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Ability to both freeze colums AND rows at the same time

Ability to both freeze colums AND rows at the same time would be fantastic. Also, not just the top row or first colum, I want to be able to choose from where the freeze panes starts.

When scrolling down, the frozen colums can roll up. But when sliding sideways, the colum remains put and the frozen rows slide along. Can't be that hard, to do?

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Shanna,

This is already supported. To freeze both rows and columns in Excel 2016, do the following:

1. Put your cell selection in the cell below the row you want “frozen” and to the right of the last column you want “frozen” (said another way – put it in the first cell that you want to be able to scroll either direction – C5 for instance)
                                          2. On the View Ribbon, choose Freeze Panes > Freeze Panes.

That should do it.

Cheers,
                                          Dan [MS]

• You could bring back the pathway on the tool bar to creat new work books. YOU TOOK THAT OFF AND IT MAKES IT VERY DIFFICULT.

wE WERE ABLE TO CLIK ONTO NEW WORK ON LEFT SIDE OF TOOL BAR AND IT COPIED AND MADE NEW WORK BOOK INSTANTLY

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported by customizing the QAT and adding the “Document Location” control to it.

To do that:
                                            1. File > Options > Quick Access Toolbar
                                            2. In “Choose commands from” select “All commands”
                                            3. Find the “Document Location” command and add it to the QAT by clicking the “Add >>” button.

Hope that helps,
                                            Dan [MS]

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base