Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ribbon - Cell Styles

Make all Cell Styles small thumbnails so they don't take up so much real estate on the ribbon.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. fix max function to not error when seeing errors

I have to include errors in the data so that it will not plot in a chart. However I also want to get Min, Max, Average, etc, but all these will return errors because the data has errors. Can this be fixed so that any errors are ignored, especially with Min and Max.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Mouse wheel scroll ctrl key zoom

Add check box in tools to disable/enable mouse scroll zoom. Like most window apps, Excel can be zoomed in/out by holding down control key and scrolling mouse wheel. Currently, I don't believe there is a way to disable this feature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel bothering

Do you know my blog
    www.excel-nervt.de?
    Sorry, it is written in German - but there you find about more than 300 Items of strange things, bugs, contradictions, bad translation, bad design, ... in Excel.
    On the page "Schade / geht nicht, Leute" (sorry, but it dosn't work, guys) I mention about almost 100 items, that people like to have, but there not inside Excel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

As Kenneth mentioned, we like to track one item per idea. Please open ideas for any of the items in the list below that you’d like to have voted on by the community.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

7. Text to Column Options, foreign text

Is it possible to split by using a foreign language text?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Jeff Zhang (MSFT) responded

Dear Excel User Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important.

8. Bring back the chart wizzard

The chart wizard made it much easier to pick chart area and to chart data transposed. I'm sure it's possible to chart transposed but I no longer know how to do it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. If statement consistent formulas

How IF statements currently work:
    A1=3; B1=2; C1=1;
    IF(A1>B1>C1, "True", "False") Results: True
    IF(C1<B1<A1, "True", "False") Results: False

Both these statements should be true, but the second one gives the wrong results. For situations like this the logic statements are only correct if the > symbol is used; otherwise the true and false statements get flipped.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Given the way Excel evaluates formulas, which is from left to right, this isn’t going to change. Here’s what happens:

IF (C1<B1<A1, “True”, “False”)
    IF (1<2<A1, “True”, “False”)
    IF (TRUE<3, “True”, “False”) <— you can see how the next check will fail (be false)
    IF (FALSE, “True”, “False”)
    “False”

The way to write this function so that Excel will do the right thing is:

IF (AND (C1<B1, B1<A1), TRUE, FALSE)

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

(sorry for the wonky formatting, apparently there’s some UserVoice markup I have to work around)

10. Merge COUNTIF and COUNTIFS

COUNTIFS can do exactly what COUNTIF does and more. The only disadvantages are writing the extra "S" and possibly a negligible hit in performance due to COUNTIFS using variable-length argument lists. My suggestion is to make COUNTIF work like COUNTIFS and make COUNTIFS a compatibility function.

I can't say the same for SUMIF and AVERAGEIF, since these functions allow the omission of their last argument, which can be a nice perk over their -IFS counterparts on the (very) rare occasion.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 3 5 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base