Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Macro recorder should ignore selections

It is well known that the macro recorder does not produce code that anyone should ever write themselves. For example, this recorded macro...

Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

...can be simplified to this...

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1")

Since selection-ridden code is longer than necessary and inefficient while running, and since people rarely need their selections to be tracked, I feel that the macro recorder should skip selections entirely.

Of course, if the selection triggers an event, such as Worksheet_Change, then the event handler (if any) can be called directly instead.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. New Line within a Cell

In Internet Explorer Alt+Enter for a new line is already a short cut to make the window full screen which can't be disabled. This is very annoying. Please fix.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Suggestion - Automatically formatting formulas as General

May I suggest that those cells involving formulas be defaulted to the General format instead of being formatted as numbers with only 2 decimals and with a comma. Because I think it wouldn’t be as much accurate to have to automatically see only 2 decimal places in producing values from formulas.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Formulas Referencing column ID in large tables

Formula accuracy degrades when referencing letters. When a formula reference several columns (say A through D:D) the formula breaks consistency in different places once in the double letters or further. I believe due to faults in text search ability.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Adding picture to the ideas posted on this forum

It would be nice to have a chance to add a picture describing better ideas posted on this forum.
    There is a sentence that pictures says more than 1000 words and often ideas may be misunderstood if there in a chance to draw the idea. .

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Argument consistency between vlookup and match

When you try to explain how the VLOOKUP formula works to users the last argument asks for either True or False. However, when you use the MATCH formula the last argument asks for -1, 0 or 1.

Can we align the logic? Also, 99% of the time people are looking for an exact match so can you please make that the default when omitted?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Seems currently a user cannot run a macro if the user puts a password protection at the workbook leve

Seems currently if a user password protects the whole workbook, he/she cannot run the macros within the workbook (without compromising on security of system as explained in one of the posts from microsoft as workaround). Since it's a practical situation where due to sensitive information, a user may want to also password protect the excel while putting it on a shared lan/sharepoint, it would help if users could run the macro once they are in the workbook. I saw there were many users like me, who had this requirement but found no good solution on this. Hope you could acknowledge…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Why not make the icons on the quick access toolbar re-arrangeable without going through the menu? Drag and drop type. :)

Why not make the icons on the quick access toolbar re-arrangeable without going through the menu? Drag and drop type. :) It would simplify my life and I am confident a lot of people would love this option.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make it free for windows 10

Make Excel free for windows 10 users.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. INFLATION and CONVERTCURRENCY functions

These 2 functions would make accounting on the international level much simpler.
    -INFLATION converts a currency to its value at a different time.
    -CONVERTCURRENCY converts a currency to another currency based on the exchange rate at a given time.

The syntaxes would thus look something like this:
    INFLATION(value, ISO 4217 code, from datetime, to datetime)
    CONVERTCURRENCY(value, datetime, from ISO 4217 code, to ISO 4217 code)

Of course, this would require Excel to either come packaged with or connect to the Internet to obtain a complete history of exchange rates, but this is much easier than having the users continuously get…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Jeff Zhang (MSFT) responded

Dear Excel User

Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important. :)

Thanks,
    Microsoft Excel Team

13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. categories do not appear

Hello,
    in outlook when we affect a category to mail a square of the category's color normally appears in the "category" column.
    But in Outlook 2016, according to the place where you have placed the column "category", the colored square appears or not :
    - If the column is placed to the right, the colored square appears.
    - If the column is placed to the left (what I want) the colored square is not displayed. Only the text. This unpractical for all previewed different categories.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Where to find information on how to make a timeline, starting from scratch?

I like to make a timeline which is similar to the template 'Timeline with milestones'. This template blocks when it is adjusted. Where to find information on how to make such timeline, starting from scratch? 

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Calculation

Improve multicore calculation

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Copy and paste

Please add an option to paste text from outside programs as plain text as the default action. Word has this feature. Currently, when I Ctrl-V after copying text from a browser window, it carries formatting into the cell. I have to right-click, select "paste as" or click on the "keep text" icon. I should be able to Ctrl-V and paste just the text into a cell.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Hire a designer

Hire a designer so they can make your products work better.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Workbook Title should be left-justified

Workbook titles now bing in the center of the title bar means that I cannot 'layer' (like tiling) my workbooks atop one another in a diagonal fashion and still be able to see (at least the beginning of) the title.
    The quick-launch tool bar should be in the center instead of the title as it's never necessary unless currently using a workbook. The title is necessary to see, however.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base