Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

118 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Be able to protect Power Pivot data model and measures with password

When you create a data model and measures in PowerPivot with PRO versions, users can modify and edit both.

Users and customers that have no idea on how the model has been build can make a lot of damage and dysfunction.

As well as VBA has it would be very interesting that Power Pivot has the option to be able to protect data model and measures with a password.

115 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remember the chart type, chart formatting (and template) on Pivot Charts

When you're charting a pivot table and have a combo chart - say stacked bar chart with a line chart - and you filter your pivot table so that one of the stacked bar elements disappears, the chart replaces the missing element from the line chart. Remove the filter and your line chart is still part of the stacked bar chart.

I'd like the pivot chart elements to remain in their place even when there's nothing to show because of the filter.

Additionally, any formatting applied via Chart Templates to Pivot Charts is lost on Pivoting, etc. - this formatting…

115 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is a known issue which we have concrete plans to fix. However, please continue to vote on this issue.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Integrate VS Code into Excel, at the same level as the VBA IDE

VS Code has an equivalent feature set to the VBA IDE (editor with Intellisense, syntax highlighting and validation; debugger with locals and watch panes, code navigation). Leveraging VS Code for editing and debugging macros embedded in Excel documents would bring the following benefits:

1. Excel could support embedded scripts in various languages (https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10549005-python-as-an-excel-scripting-language), as long as the language is supported in VS Code (Python, R, Javascript) without needing a new editor for each one (both a maintenance burden, and a profusion of UIs for the same task of editing and debugging code).

2. The only VBA IDE features not available…

114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create a function that returns the list of sheet name(s) in the workbook = SHEETNAME(), =SHEETNAMES()

1. provide a function that returns the current sheet name

2. provide a function that does the listing of the sheets in the workbook. This is presently being done using macro. there are certain companies which do not permit the running of macros within the excel workbook.

114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fill Handle For Worksheet Copy

If I have a worksheet called January and I Ctrl+Drag that sheet to make a copy, Excel should automatically call it February. Use the same logic as the Fill Handle (support months, weekdays, and any custom list).

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. make it easier for the eye to spot the active cell. The thin green lines are too hard to spot

Allow for formatting of the box that highlights the active cell

107 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Protect me from #REF! ambushes

Every so often I delete cells and unbeknownst to me create a bunch of #REF! errors in another part of my worksheet. I may not realize until much later when I can no longer undo back to fix the error. Excel could spare me this. If my deletion is about to create #REF!s it should bring up an alert like "Other cells depend on the cells you are about to delete. Would you like Excel to adjust their formulas to avoid #REF! errors? [Yes][No][Cancel]. [No] would do what it does today. [Cancel] would abort the operation. [Yes] would smartly substitute…

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Universal IF statement - to meet needs of IFNULL, IFBLANK, IFZERO etc.

Are you tired of duplicating complicated formulas within an IF statement in order manage blanks or zeros?

e.g. IF(long formula="","",long formula)

A universal IF statement (lets call it IFX) would decrease this type of duplication without having to add multiple new IF formulas the likes of IFNULL, IFBLANK or IFZERO.

An IFX function would accept the condition you want to test the formula against, if the condition is true it would return the specified alternative (such as blank). If the condition is false it would return the value of the formula itself. Ideally it would be able to accept multiple…

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Return share workbook functionality to Excel 2016

Excel 2016 has recently removed the share workbook functionality and hidden the icon for easily sharing workbooks. It appears that this has not taken into account spreadsheets that are saved on file servers, and aren't uploaded into the cloud (ie the co-authoring functionality). Please return the functionality so that workbooks can be easily shared.

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You’ve provided feedback on the Excel Shared Workbook experience and we would like to know more about how you’ve used this feature and the value it provides. By taking this survey, you can help the Excel team better understand how to prioritize our Collaboration Experiences moving forward.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR3M53G0xM8tHle2rOax4MqNUQ0lOWlM2OFRTTkJNRTVGQU1ZV0hDMTZYSy4u

12. Make all windows (Dialog Boxes) containing variable-sized content resizable

Too many windows force the user scroll well before the comfortable screen space for the window is exhausted. We also do not want these windows to simply be bigger and potentially take up an unnecessary amount of screen space.

For the best of both worlds, I suggest that a window should be resizable if and only if it contains variable-sized content (e.g. scroll bars, text boxes).

Examples of specific windows are listed in the comments.

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Worksheet groupings

Workbooks with many worksheets can be difficult to navigate. One poster has suggested having multiple levels to the worksheet tabs.

As an extension to this, we could have worksheet groupings where several worksheets could be contained within a grouping. You could then select a particular grouping (which would look like worksheet tabs and be placed below the actual worksheet tabs) and then have access to all the worksheets in that particular grouping. There would also be an 'All' grouping that contained all the worksheets.

These grouping could be included in the workbook protection so that you could choose which worksheet…

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a CountDistinct (unique, etc.) function

Add it as a standalone function

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Excel found a problem with one or more formula references" - Please tell me where!

One of my least favorite messages that Excel provides is:

"Excel found a problem with one or more formula references in this worksheet. Check that the cell references, range names, defined names, and links to other workbooks in your formulas are all correct."

But I can never find the bad references. It's usually buried somewhere very deep, in a chart series formula, or in a name definition, or who knows where else.

If Excel finds a problem, please Excel, tell us where it is.

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix the black and grey boxes that cover the screen when you scroll

Whenever I scroll too fast in Excel on my PC black and grey boxes appear everywhere and cover what I am working on. This is incredibly frustrating because there is no way to get rid of the boxes.

This only happens on my external display and it only happens in Excel.

Please fix this issue.

https://superuser.com/questions/1053006/excel-grey-and-black-boxes-on-secondary-display

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for opening this item and the feedback folks! Please provide more info on the type of Display monitors that you experience this issue with. Also continue voting on this which will increase its likelihood of getting prioritized for fixing in the product.

thanx,
    Prash [MSFT]

17. Preserve source quoting and separator when saving CSV.

Currently, Excel alters CSV files to it's internal CSV format whenever the file is saved, even if no changes were made to the file. For example, if I open a CSV file like below (anonymized version of a AWS credentials file):

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
    "somebody",WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

And then I merely open the file and save it without making any changes, Excel will alter file, removing the quotes:

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
    somebody,WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

In this particular example, the change is harmless but for more complex CSV files, simply opening them in Excel is sufficient to break other…

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion – CSV hasn’t been an area we’ve been looking into recently, but we’ll reconsider. It looks like this is starting to get some votes fairly quickly. If you like the idea, then please keep the votes coming! That’s the best way to help get this onto our engineering schedule.

Thanks,
    John [MS XL]

18. There should be a Worksheet.RowCount and Worksheet.ColumnCount properties that tell you what the last row or column with data is

There is no good way of finding the last row or column with data in a worksheet.

Three ways are of finding the last row or column are:
    1) used Worksheet.UsedRange. The problem with this is that if some of the cells in the range have had their contents cleared or deleted then they are still considered in the UsedRange. this means that the bottom-rightmost cell in the UsedRange may not have any data in it and cannot be accurately used to get the row or column count for the worksheet.

2) Using range.end(xlup).row or range.end(xltoleft).column only works for a…

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable user filter views

This feature should allow you to create, name, and save custom views of data that can be selected without affecting how other users see it.
    As a next step it would be handy to share specific filter views with other users and choose which specific filter view should be applied by default.

Similar request already planned for Excel Online:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/274580-excel-online/suggestions/8192445-allow-for-personal-user-views-filters

Example of how it is done with filter views in G Sheets (available for a couple of years by now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noue5sB69Uc

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Creation of PPT slides directly from excel Sheet

Hi All,

I would like to see a new feature in excel, where from just one click we can export the excel sheet , charts ,objects in powerpoint slides.

Regards,
    Rajender

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting idea. We will definitely consider it while planning our next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base