Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remember the chart type, chart formatting (and template) on Pivot Charts

When you're charting a pivot table and have a combo chart - say stacked bar chart with a line chart - and you filter your pivot table so that one of the stacked bar elements disappears, the chart replaces the missing element from the line chart. Remove the filter and your line chart is still part of the stacked bar chart.

I'd like the pivot chart elements to remain in their place even when there's nothing to show because of the filter.

Additionally, any formatting applied via Chart Templates to Pivot Charts is lost on Pivoting, etc. - this formatting…

141 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

31 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is a known issue which we have concrete plans to fix. However, please continue to vote on this issue.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

2. Allow us to disable "double click to move"

Double-clicking to move to the beginning or end of the cells is useful for some, but for others it drags our productivity down. Please allow us to toggle the option to navigate using double-click so the users who are adversely affected by it can turn it off.

136 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Integrate VS Code into Excel, at the same level as the VBA IDE

VS Code has an equivalent feature set to the VBA IDE (editor with Intellisense, syntax highlighting and validation; debugger with locals and watch panes, code navigation). Leveraging VS Code for editing and debugging macros embedded in Excel documents would bring the following benefits:

1. Excel could support embedded scripts in various languages (https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10549005-python-as-an-excel-scripting-language), as long as the language is supported in VS Code (Python, R, Javascript) without needing a new editor for each one (both a maintenance burden, and a profusion of UIs for the same task of editing and debugging code).

2. The only VBA IDE features not available…

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow new chart types (treemap, sunburst, etc) to also be used as pivot charts.

The new chart types are really interesting, however; they would be much more useful if they could also be tied to a pivot table. This would make them much more dynamic in nature.

Along the same line, it would be very beneficial to allow the interactivity on the charts to cross filter objects tied to the same data source. For example, if I click on a department in my treemap chart it would then filter the pivot table below to only the department I clicked on.

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Be able to protect Power Pivot data model and measures with password

When you create a data model and measures in PowerPivot with PRO versions, users can modify and edit both.

Users and customers that have no idea on how the model has been build can make a lot of damage and dysfunction.

As well as VBA has it would be very interesting that Power Pivot has the option to be able to protect data model and measures with a password.

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Create a function that returns the list of sheet name(s) in the workbook = SHEETNAME(), =SHEETNAMES()

1. provide a function that returns the current sheet name

2. provide a function that does the listing of the sheets in the workbook. This is presently being done using macro. there are certain companies which do not permit the running of macros within the excel workbook.

122 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Quit having a spreadsheet reopen in a different size than it was when it was closed

When I close a spreadsheet, it is the size I want it to be. But when I reopen it, Excel is as likely as not to have "decided" that it knows better than I do what I want, and it reopens in a different size. Sorry, but I do know better than Excel does what I want, and resent the arrogance displayed in changing my preferences. Make it stop!!!

121 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you say that it opens a different size – can you give more info? Do you mean the application window is a different size (it shouldn’t be) or that the font sizes (zoom) are different? (again, they shouldn’t be)

Additionally, if you can post a video of what you’re seeing, that would be a big help for us.

If there is a problem here, it’s definitely something we’d want to fix.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

9. Protect me from #REF! ambushes

Every so often I delete cells and unbeknownst to me create a bunch of #REF! errors in another part of my worksheet. I may not realize until much later when I can no longer undo back to fix the error. Excel could spare me this. If my deletion is about to create #REF!s it should bring up an alert like "Other cells depend on the cells you are about to delete. Would you like Excel to adjust their formulas to avoid #REF! errors? [Yes][No][Cancel]. [No] would do what it does today. [Cancel] would abort the operation. [Yes] would smartly substitute…

114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Universal IF statement - to meet needs of IFNULL, IFBLANK, IFZERO etc.

Are you tired of duplicating complicated formulas within an IF statement in order manage blanks or zeros?

e.g. IF(long formula="","",long formula)

A universal IF statement (lets call it IFX) would decrease this type of duplication without having to add multiple new IF formulas the likes of IFNULL, IFBLANK or IFZERO.

An IFX function would accept the condition you want to test the formula against, if the condition is true it would return the specified alternative (such as blank). If the condition is false it would return the value of the formula itself. Ideally it would be able to accept multiple…

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to paste to filtered (visible) cells

PROBLEM: Excel's PASTE (ctrl-V) operation does not distinguish between filtered and unfiltered cells, even though its COPY (ctrl-C) operation copies filtered (visible) cells.

SOLUTIONS:
    * Enhance PASTE SPECIAL (ctrl-alt-V) to support the ability to paste into only filtered (visible) cells.
    * Add a user option to support this default PASTE action.

BENEFITS:
    * Eliminates the danger of pasting into a filtered area without realizing the problem. This is a very common problem with users new to Excel. Even experienced users must be constantly aware of this problem.
    * Addresses a problem for which there is no good workaround. All VBA…

107 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Corrigir descrição da opção "Remover Duplicatas" no Microsoft Excel

Corrigir descrição da opção "Remover Duplicatas" no Microsoft Excel

No caminho Dados>Ferramentas de Dados temos a opção "Remover Duplicatas".

"Duplicatas" no Comércio significa: "título de crédito nominativo pelo qual o comprador fica obrigado a pagar, em determinada data, a quantia correspondente à fatura de mercadoria vendida a prazo."

Ao deixarmos o mouse na opção já aparece "Duplicatas" que está errado por fazer confusão ao comercio, e no texto em seu "balão" aparece como "Duplicadas", onde o seu único significado é "que ou o que se duplicou; que foi copiado por uso de artefato próprio ou manuscrito (diz-se de documento ou…

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Pivot Table Default Number Formatting

When a field is added to the values area the number formatting should default to the number formatting of the field in the source data. Every time a field is added to the values area, the user has to change the number format. It defaults to General, which is ugly. Most of the time the user will change the formatting to something similar to how the number is formatted in the source data. This feature would save users a lot of time.

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add a CountDistinct (unique, etc.) function

Add it as a standalone function

100 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add an easy way (Ribbon button) to change text casing (UPPER, lower, Sentence, etc.)

Currently Excel is the only Office application that doesn't have the ribbon-button to change selected text to uppercase or lowercase.
    The only way to do it is to use the function =UPPER() and then copy/paste the resulted value into the original cell.
    It would be good to have a button to change the selected text to uppercase or lowercase.

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Stop Copy & Paste overwriting Data Validation

When you have data validation on a cell, a drop down list for example. A user can circumvent all of this by either copying and pasting into the cell or when dragging from other cells numbers can increment and therefore render the data validation, invalid. A user should not be able to copy and paste values which are not in the validation.

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix the black and grey boxes that cover the screen when you scroll

Whenever I scroll too fast in Excel on my PC black and grey boxes appear everywhere and cover what I am working on. This is incredibly frustrating because there is no way to get rid of the boxes.

This only happens on my external display and it only happens in Excel.

Please fix this issue.

https://superuser.com/questions/1053006/excel-grey-and-black-boxes-on-secondary-display

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for opening this item and the feedback folks! Please provide more info on the type of Display monitors that you experience this issue with. Also continue voting on this which will increase its likelihood of getting prioritized for fixing in the product.

thanx,
    Prash [MSFT]

19. Option to allow add-ins in restricted workbook (IRM)

The new Information Rights Management (IRM) is great to protect workbooks from being opened or edited by non authorized users.
    Unfortunately it also deactivates all ad-ins. In principle this makes sense as add-ins can access and modify information within the workbook. However, current restrictions go a bit too far as even as an owner/author of the workbook with FULL CONTROL my add-ins are deactivated. Should I not have full rights to do anything with the workbook? In our company thousands of users across EMEA use a self developed add-in to calculate service costs. Now they cannot use IRM as it…

96 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Preserve source quoting and separator when saving CSV.

Currently, Excel alters CSV files to it's internal CSV format whenever the file is saved, even if no changes were made to the file. For example, if I open a CSV file like below (anonymized version of a AWS credentials file):

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
    "somebody",WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

And then I merely open the file and save it without making any changes, Excel will alter file, removing the quotes:

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
    somebody,WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

In this particular example, the change is harmless but for more complex CSV files, simply opening them in Excel is sufficient to break other…

96 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion – CSV hasn’t been an area we’ve been looking into recently, but we’ll reconsider. It looks like this is starting to get some votes fairly quickly. If you like the idea, then please keep the votes coming! That’s the best way to help get this onto our engineering schedule.

Thanks,
    John [MS XL]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base