Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow form focus to break out of cell editing

If you have a VBA modeless form up and you double click on a cell to start editing, the form is "dead" until the user gets out of the editing mode. It should exit the edit mode just like clicking on a different cell would. Users keep reporting this as a bug in macro code.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the really bright yellow Fill Color less bright

Can Microsoft please make the really bright-bright-yellow colour which is a default in the Fill Color palette, less bright. It is certainly useful for highlighting cells, but when more than a few cells are highlighted it has a painful effect on the eyes and is quite distracting. It does not have to be that bright to bring readers' attention to certain cells; half as bright is bright enough to highlight cells to readers. If a user really wants to they can set the brightest yellow as a custom colour, but most would go with a less bright default yellow. Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hello, I am using Excel with Amharic US keyboard. one problem I found is that the backspace is not working with the Amharic

Hello, I am using Excel with Amharic US keyboard. one problem I found is that the backspace is not working with the Amharic and Mix of Amharic with English

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. For the jump list, that when a file is renamed, that the new name should also be reflected in the jump list.

For the jump list, that when a file is renamed, that the new name should also be reflected in the jump list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. could you please provide automatic workbook backup generation functionality a per file basis

objective: enable automated backup for sensitive files

such a possibility should be enabled on the options menu, on a per workbook / file basis. User should be able to select the frequency of backup

when active, Excel would automatically copy the existing file as a new, separate file on the user-defined frequency.

see the "password safe" application (https://pwsafe.org/ - 'options' menu, 'backups' tab) for a sample implementation

thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Updated filter handling, with possibility to select e.g. the only filtered text in a column.

If I have filters active on all columns in a file and I e.g. filter on someting in column A which results in that e.g. only one value is left in column B, then I would like to be able to select that value in column B and filter on it. At this point, of course nothing will happen, but then if I now remove the filter from column A, I could get a different result, but since Iäm not able to select as describe above in column B, I will instead get ALL results when I remove the filter…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. I want the text filter to be active when I select a filter.

Quite often i have excel files with filters in the top row of each column.

I would like it if the generic text input filed was active immediately after I have pressed the filter arrow in a certain column. That way I can either directly start entering the text filter, or even pasting an already copied text into that field. Now I have to click the field with the mouse and to me that seems an unnecessary step. It would be much faster if that field was active directly. I can't really see that it would hurt any other feature.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Sort & Filter

When "Sort Warning" box pops up with 1 of 2 choices Prepicked for us, delete the prepicked setting and have it remember the choice we make.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Flowcharts (Insert Image): Change color scheme for all objects / or easy way to select all objects in a range

I create flowcharts and modify them between clients. Besides the structure, I change the color scheme to match the client colors. I'd like an easy way to do that. Either a "select all shapes in range" function so that I can draw a box around the objects that I want changed so that I can then change their properties all at once. Or, an ability to take all of the shapes on a page and make my changes automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Footing and cross footing function

When we use spreadsheets we want to ensure that the sum of x axis is also equal to the Y axis. why not have 1 function that gets the sum of the X and Y axis, and if it's not equal, Excel would return an error.

For example, the function should be in cell E7, getting the sum of the columns from B7 to D7, and the sum of the rows from E2 to E6. If the 2 totals are not equal then return with an error value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow formula to be used for Stock Data reference

It would be useful if the new Stock Data function was be able to reference a cell that contained a formula.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Excel 2019 pops up an error Window when trying to print a file hosted in OneDrive

There's an error poping around (Can't connect to the printer) when users try to print something from Excel and the file is located in OneDrive or SharePoint. They have to move it out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3 blank files open when Windows Starts

In the recent Office 365 2019 Excel for desktop, sometimes when Windows starts 3 blank files open automatically, like the image above. That's been happening with multiple users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Editable PPT Insert in excel

Hello, I inserted a PPT document into excel, but when I click it to open, it opens only in presentation mode and not editing. Is it possible to insert a PPT as an object in excel and open it in edit mode? Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Patterned formatting

I would like to dynamically copy formatting attributes from a referenced cell so that changing a format attribute in the referenced cell would make the same change in all cells and graphs that reference the pattern cell.

For example, I may use a particular color (e.g. green) to refer to a particular subset of data (e.g. cash on hand). I would like make a color change to a pattern cell and have all the associated items in all tables and graphs change to match and pattern cell colors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. ajouter une option "enregistrer le scenari" dans la boite de dialogue valeur cible

ajouter une option "enregistrer le scenari" dans la boite de dialogue valeur cible (de la meme facon que cela est fait dans le solveur)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable ability to Reject or Delete Shared Workbooks

Someone shared a workbook with me that I no longer want. Excel should include the ability to either hide or reject (and forever remove) a workbook shared with me.
    Additionally, the email address of the user that shared the workbook should be available to see.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. BuscarV en ambas direcciones "BuscarY"

BUSCARY(matriz;puntomediobd;indice;ordendo)

Matriz: es el rango de la base de datos.

Puntomediobd: es la columna referente para situar un punto medio en la base de datos, este seria el Punto 0 (cero) donde puedo buscar valores hacia la derecha con numero negativos y hacia la izquierda con numeros positivos.

Indice: indica que columna busco con referencia al punto medio de la base de datos (...-1 ò 1..).

Ordenado: falso es busqueda exacta y true es coincidencia."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. new window

I really have to give you credit for devising this way to avoid receiving actual feedback. WHY in the WORLD you ever thought restricting Excel to only one window... the only reason I can think that you would do that is that you have only contempt for your users, and want to make using your product as difficult as possible for them. My God, do I HATE you, Microsoft.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Position of Comments/ Notes

The comments in a spread sheet should stay positioned to the parent cells - whenever some rows are deleted. None of the three options are doing that. The attachment with variations - the original , in one I have deleted few rows, in another one column, and in third changed column width - in none of the cases the change was done in the Parent Row/ Column - but the cells changed their position - and the things become worse - much worse - when cells from different areas are deleted.
    Sometimes these columns move 100s of cells away (when…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base