Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix Notes in Selection Pane Description

Fix Selection Pane to properly show Notes. Currently, Notes shown in the Selection Pane display as "Comment 1", etc. Should say "Note 1"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto Advance

When scanning numbers into Excel with a hand scanner - it would be nice to have an auto advance either right or down a cell. This could be accomplished with a simple checkbox tic to turn on or off Auto Advance.. So when a series of numbers are scanned into a cell, there would be an option to Auto Advance either down 1 on the column or right one row. Or there could be a more advanced option box - to have auto advance for a certain number say down 2 and right 1 as an example. Also an option…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Recover lost 7-z password

Are you looking tool for unlocking 7z file password then simply use eSoftTools 7z unlocker tool which gives you permission to re-open locked 7z file without any trouble. This tool can support all windows and 7z variants and comes with the free demo version.

Get More:- https://www.esofttools.com/7z-password-recovery.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. office assistance

we really miss ms, office assisstance which was like a friend of all students in 90's. Why don't you again bring office assistance in msoffice. this was my fav. even if people dont use much ms.office, they will try ur msoffice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Evaluate Formula - Show Named Range Reference Value

While Evaluating Formula, a Named Range shows only it's result value. Instead, first show the Reference value (e.g. A1:A10) that the Named Range refers to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Show Named Range Refer's To Values

While editing a formula containing a Named Range, use a tooltip to display the Named Range's "Refers To" value.

As of now, Excel only shows the Named Range's, "Refers To" value in the name manager.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Create Separate Excel Version Optimized for Power Query (ETL)

Create a "stripped" version of Excel or stand-alone version that is optimized for Power Query and focused on ETL tasks. This version would remove many traditional Excel features to free up resources, allow engine optimization, and expand current PQ capabilities.

Microsoft has a definite need of a high power data ETL tool and right now I am forced to use multiple Excel files to break up ETL tasks by having them reference the previous file in the chain (my company will not support other more expensive/specialized tools).

This finished file can then be used as a data source in regular…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Clear persistent Excel copy highlighting if trying to paste from another application

The current Excel copy/paste behavior is acceptable (not great, but I can live with it) when within Excel. But it gets really annoying when working between Excel and another application. If I copy something out of Excel to paste in application 2, then copy something from application 2 to paste back in Excel, it is utterly maddening that the paste is blocked because the data I copied from Excel is still highlighted and overriding the Windows clipboard. And if I press Esc to clear the highlight, I still can't paste from application 2 because now there's nothing in the Windows…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. My excel file not open properly. So please help me.

My excel file not open properly. So please help me. This type in error after open excel file shown in picture.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. How to open password protected 7zip file without password?

The perfect solution to re-open password protected 7zip files without a password by the use of eSoftTools7z password recovery software. It removes all password arrangement with the help of mask attack, brute force attack and dictionary attack. This software is fully tested with all variants of windows and 7z and it comes with demo version also which helps to recover the first 3 letters of the password.

Read More:- https://www.esofttools.com/7z-password-recovery.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Consolidate error with Linking

When you use LINK, the SUM function adds hidden rows and gives an incorrect total.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Shortcut to custom formats in quick access olbar

I use a custom format that looks like currency but has dashes instead of zeroes, I'd love to be able to have a shortcut to access that format by pressing Alt+3, for example, on the quick access toolbar. The should also be a shortcut to refer to the currency format, which is a default format! Also, you should be able to define format preferences - I'd love to indicate that whenever I use the currency format, apply it with no decimals and center the formatting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make all default table styles accessible

Excel has a built-in accessibility auditor that will falg 55% of the default table styles as inaccessible due to low contrast. Microsoft should make all the default table styles accessible, in addition to picking colours in the default colour theme that will all be distinguishable by all colourblind people.

Attached is a chart where a red cross indicates a table style that fails Excel's own accessibility auditor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make all default table styles accessible

Excel has a built-in accessibility auditor that will falg 55% of the default table styles as inaccessible due to low contrast. Microsoft should make all the default table styles accessible, in addition to picking colours in the default colour theme that will all be distinguishable by all colourblind people.

Attached is a chart where a red cross indicates a table style that fails Excel's own accessibility auditor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Optional setting to limit the size of your file (ex. all info must be on page 1)

Optional setting to limit the size of your file (ex. all info must be on page 1 or limit columns allowed from A to G only - H-infinity are blocked). This allows similar printouts to Microsoft Word with benefit of using columns, rows, tables, etc from excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. How to recover lost 7-z file password?

This Superb eSoftTools 7z Password Recovery Software that securely recovers lost 7z file password and unlocks 7-z file password by applying three methods such as- dictionary attacks, brute force attacks and password known attacks. 7z Unlocker Software provides demo version that available at free of cost by this, users can recover first 3 characters of the password-free of cost but for recover complete password their users have to purchase the full version of the software. The software works on all 7z file versions and all 7z versions.
    Read More:- https://www.esofttools.com/7z-password-recovery.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Drop Down List needs to not be limited to 8 items

Trying to resurrect this one - I see the last request was 2015 - 4 years ago. Really? I know this is an easy fix for Microsoft - Cmon lets just get it done!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Microsoft Excel 2016 - Proposed Solution "to show the current page number"

I would like to ask Microsoft Excel team to show the page number at the bottom bar permanently (the same as we get the total cells, or sum of cells) because sometimes we add so many pictures, that hide the "Page break preview", so the number of the current page is NOT shown.

Below is the proposed solution to fix this issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base