Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow me to submit missing Polygons in 3D Maps

Allow me to submit missing polygons from the page that mentions it so I can get them fixed faster. 3D maps is no good if it won't show the polygons for a territory.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjApVpgq6WQ0h6JwzoqyAzQ4XbnuKQ

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can submit feedback through the “Send a Smile” mechanism. Click on the smiley face in the upper right corner of Excel.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

2. Kill nested IFs

What about a function like =ELSEIF([if1]; [then1]; [elseif2]; [then2]; [elseif3]; [then3]; ...)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Give our new IFS and SWITCH functions a go – they are exactly what you’re looking for.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

3. Fix the 'Apply Names' bug that corrupts formulas or crashes Excel

As already reported in

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/when-will-the-apply-names-bug-in-excel-be-fixed/0eb23d54-fbf0-4c64-8bad-cf52bc32547f?auth=1

The Apply Names command loses parts of formulas and in certain cases Excel will crash.

This bug is in Excel 2010 and 2013 and 2016, not in Excel 2007 or 2003.
    To reproduce this, follow these steps.

Enter 2 in B1 and 3 in B2
    Enter =B1 in A4
    Enter =B2 in A5

Give $B$1 the name "value_1"
    Give $B$2 the name "value_2"

Enter the formulas below starting in B4, and then click Names > Apply Names and select both names.

=B2/B1
    =$B$2/$B$1
    =$B$2/B1
    =B2/$B$1

In B4 The expected result is =value_2/value_1, what you get…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I just read through the answers.microsoft.com post that you linked to, and it appears that this is fixed in Excel 2016 build 16.0.6568.2025.

Also, we’d like to try to keep this uservoice site for new feature ideas, rather than for bug fixes (which answers.microsoft.com is targeted at.)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

4. When filtering allow boxes on right of filter values to auto unselect all & select value

When you are filtering a worksheet, when hitting the drop down value we get a (Select all) and a check box for each data value. Rather than having to unselect all and scroll to the items you want to check to display allow a checkbox to the right of the values to simulate the unselect all and check current item. Then continue checking items as usual if needed. Very helpful on larger data filtering.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Unselecting all items in the filter dialog/drop down can be done with the “(Select All)” item that is checked by default — if you uncheck that, then it will unselect all of the items in the list and you can continue to select just the items you want to filter on.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

5. Duplicate sheet option.

We are unable to see the duplicate sheet option like in Google Drive.
    We have the option to Delete, Rename, Hide and Unhide but not this function. We are having to used copy and paste and entered the colors every time as this is done in a weekly basic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

You can duplicate a sheet in Windows Excel by right clicking on the sheet tab and choosing “Move or Copy…” In the dialog that pops up, select the “Create a copy” checkbox, and you should be good to go.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

6. Ribbon appearance customization

Add way to customize the appearance of the Ribbon such as the way it looked in previous versions, tweaking/modifying them, or creating ribbon themes from scratch.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Cory,

You can customize the ribbon under File > Options > Customize Ribbon. There, you can create new Ribbons, new Chunks for existing Ribbons, etc.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

7. Treemap Chart for Excel. Block size proportional by size of company within group; labels set by another column; hoverable msg.

Wall Street Journal used to have a map of the market also called sector maps. You get there after entering the Wsj web site as follows: markets to market data to us stocks (arrow down) to market data center on right which shows stock data and sector maps. The idea, for example, is taking an industry segment for a period of time listed by company, size of company, and percent change of stock price that day. Table is treemap with blocks in proportion to size of company, each block colored by continuum based on percentage change in stock price, and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently provided a Treemap chart type as part of the Excel 2016 release. Please give that a try and let us know if it addresses your needs.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Unhiding Column A should no longer be a usability nightmare

Unintuitive tricks are required to unhide column A once it's been hidden. Why not provide a hover click-target that offers to reveal column A if the mouse pointer lingers up in the left edge of the header of column B? In fact, why not use such a widget to allow any hidden columns to be revealed? If I leave my mouse pointer in the column header row adjacent to a hidden column, that is what I want to do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We now make this much easier with Excel 2016 – there’s a special hit target if column A is hidden.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

9. Absolute Reference Shortcut

Really simple. Pretty much in all my data analysis involves absolute references and relative references. For a formula I enter, I have to go through and manually type in the $ symbols to lock those references, which can be cumbersome when I have 15 or so references to take care of. What I suggest is a shortcut key e.g. ctrl + click/alt + click where by clicking the cell in the formula using this combination will convert it to an absolute reference.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news, we have this in Excel already. as you are authoring a formula, when you select a cell/range, you can press F4 to toggle the “absolute-ness” of the reference.

cheers,
    dan [MS]

10. Enable Excel PowerView to connect to Multidimensional SSAS cubes

Currently Excel PowerView can only connect to a Tabular or PowerPivot model. We need the ability to connect to multidimensional cubes as well. There's a large number of customers who could leverage existing MD cubes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Grouping Dates in PivotTables

When using a PivotTable where one of the fields is a date in either the rows or columns, Excel treats each day as its own row or column. It would be very useful to be able to group the dates and have Excel summarize the data by month, quarter, or year in the PivotTable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Bernie,

Kenneth’s comment (that you can do this by selecting and then grouping dates) is right on.

Further, in Excel 2016 and later, when you create a Pivot with a Date field, Excel will automatically group for you. In that case, if you want to go back to the previous behavior, you can by following the instructions here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-off-time-grouping-in-PivotTables-in-Excel-2016-for-Windows-6be5afed-348c-4db2-9f87-5ac262d67b3f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Cheers
    Dan [MS]

12. Gridlines - you cant see them

The gridlines are always light gray on white or white on gray. Its maddening that you cant see them. Its also one pixel wide. GIVE ME A SETTING for color. I want a black gridline not gray. I also want a setting for width.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Bill.

Turns out you can do this already – Just head into File | Options | Advanced | Display options for this worksheet and then choose the gridline color.

Hope that helps,
    Dan [MS]

13. Allow clipart to be used in bar charts.

Allow clipart to be used in bar charts. For example a chart showing sales of motorcycles and automobiles could use appropriate icons and a value could be set where 1 graphic = x units.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base