Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Data Validation (make it AutoComplete based on typed characters)

Data Validation needs an auto complete in the List Option
    It also needs to support Table Structured references directly in the List option without having to wrap it in a Name

200 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

36 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Invert Filter Selection

I'd like to see an option to invert filter selections. For example: If i apply a filter in a table i can select some boxes with a tickmark, but if i want to invert my selection i need to unmark selected itens before and mark the others.

In resume, i'd like to invert itens selected in a filter for the others unmarked.

195 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Modernize conditional formatting formula editing.

As of 2013, it conditional formatting formula editing is still inconsistent with the regular application, and makes it harder for users to learn conditional formatting, which is one of the more abstract concepts of the early Excel learning process.

Arrow keys are still modifying formulas rather than moving the cursor, for example.

195 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion, thanks David! And thanks to other people who took the time to clarify/comment on this one. There’s definitely room to tighten this experience up in a number of places. We’re getting a lot of traffic on the site, so please keep voting for the things you care about most to help us do a great job of prioritizing.

Best,
    John [MS XL]

4. Workbook level calculation

We need the ability to calculate a single workbook when multiple workbooks are open.
    When working with multiple large slow workbooks which are often not even linked together (think multiple versions of the same workbook or a large mostly static workbook being referenced by a smaller rapidly changing workbook) you want to make changes and recalculate without globally recalculating all open workbooks.
    This should be implemented as
    a) New calculation setting (persistent) - Calculate Active Workbook Only - works for Automatic and Manual F9, but Ctrl/Alt/F9 would full calculate all open workbooks regardless of the setting.
    Automatic Calc in Active…

190 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the post Charles, and for the in person conversation at the latest MVP conference. We definitely understand the ask and will keep our eye on it – it looks like it’s moving up the vote charts pretty quickly. As always, keep upvoting the things you are about most.

Best,
    John [MS XL]

5. Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher.

Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher. The white theme is too bright. Please fix this awful problem. I am an accountant and I must use Excel desktop due to the size of my files. Your GIANT step backwards in icons is incomprehensible. Please give us a theme with the 2010 Excel colors and excellent definition.

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

152 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Two new =if's

Just like =IFERROR(), could we also get =IFBLANK() and =IFZERO(). I would use these on a regular basis, and it would cut in half the size of large formulas where I just want something specific to happen where the result is either blank or zero

186 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Create 64-bit compatible versions of MSComCtl and MSComCt2 controls

We have been advised to consider upgrading to the 64-bit version of Office throughout our company. As a world leading financial institution we have a lot of users that use Excel applications that require large amount of memory and processing power.

We have a dedicated VBA development team that make extensive use of the controls and we need 64-bit versions of the controls before the roll-out can go ahead as a large number of critical applications will no longer work in 64-bit Excel.

181 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Colar Especial - Valores Únicos

Ao copiar dados de uma coluna com vários dados repetidos.
    Como temos a opção com o botão direito do mouse de Colar Especial > Valores, poderia ter uma opção de Colar Especial > Valores Únicos.

When copying data from a column with multiple repeating data.
    As we have the option with the right mouse button of paste Special > Values, could have a paste option special > unique values.

177 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Create DAX calculated measures in Excel for SSAS Tabular

Enable writing measures in DAX in a pivot table connected to Tabular or Power Pivot.
    In practice, it would be enough to enable a choice between MDX and DAX in the "New Calculated Measure" dialog box and use the following syntax for creating a DAX measure instead of an MDX member in measures…

CREATE SESSION MEASURE [Model].Sales[My Sales 2] = SUMX ( Sales, Sales[Quantity] * Sales[Unit Price] /5 )

I received this requests from several enterprise customers, but I think it's useful to any data analyst accessing tabular models (but you should be able to write DAX measures also for…

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Remove the pointless message “There's a problem with the clipboard, but you can still paste your content within this workbook."

The message shows up if you run in the background a program that keeps a peek into the clipboard, as for example the "Skype web plugin" and other telephone programs. A possible cause can also be the software "Audials".

You can find a thread with lots of complaints and a few flimsy justifications and non-answers here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10/clipboard-problem-in-excel-2016/224b2a59-8a0c-4897-baba-a481dd06e085

The message shows up with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, using the Format Painter and only taking whole cells. It does not show up if you copy a part of a cell content.

Contrary to some Microsoft officials’ posts, the error message shows up…

153 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

101 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. NULL Worksheet Function

This request is to add a new function, =NULL(), which returns "blank" or null, forcing the cell to act as if it truly is empty; not a cell with an empty text string "" or 0.

151 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Auto resizing of formula bar

Give us an easily accessible option to have the formula bar resize automatically if a formula spans across multiple rows in the formula bar so the whole formula will be visible.

148 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I’ve seen some related requests, I’ll look at merging them to make sure the votes properly reflect the ask. We’ll prioritize this into the execution pipe appropriately based on the number of votes.

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

13. Allow users to control the order of items in the sunburst chart.

I'm using a sunburst chart to convey status, and visually it would be nice to have the chart in the same order as the items I want to talk about them, so the discussion flows clockwise around the wheel. Having an option for the layout to follow the order in the excel list would be wonderful

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting idea. We’ll consider it in our next round of planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. R in Excel (RRO + MKL as scripting language in Excel)

Microsoft recently acquired Revolution Analytics:

http://revolutionanalytics.com/

Revolution R Open with MKL is an open source derivative of R (RRO + MKL). Adding-in RRO to Excel is a natural fit and will extend the scripting utility of .xlsx in Enterprise environment. The package developments alone are worth considering this integration.

145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  21 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Use F4 key to lock reference in a table

When you create formula with the named range of a table, you can't easily block the reference of your column.

For instance, if you used the fill-handle to copy to the right, the reference of your column will change :( The only way to avoid that is to write [[column1]:[column1]] for all your reference (very annoying)

So my suggestion to block the reference of a named range is to use the F4 key.
    Your formula is =SUM(table1[column1]) and after pressing F4 it becomes =SUM(table1[[column1]:[column1]])

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good suggestion Frederic – thanks for taking the time to post it. We’ll take a look at the F4 loop and including other functionality like this as soon as we can. We’ll be spending more time on the things with more votes – so folks that really want to see this should keep voting it up.

Best,
    John [MS XL]

16. Conditional formatting in charts

Add Conditional formatting in charts to control the colour of e.g. a bar or line, depending on the value or content of the data labels. Green if appels, Yellow if bananas and so on.

136 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like in other aplications, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow new chart types (treemap, sunburst, etc) to also be used as pivot charts.

The new chart types are really interesting, however; they would be much more useful if they could also be tied to a pivot table. This would make them much more dynamic in nature.

Along the same line, it would be very beneficial to allow the interactivity on the charts to cross filter objects tied to the same data source. For example, if I click on a department in my treemap chart it would then filter the pivot table below to only the department I clicked on.

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Format cell as a checkbox (TRUE, FALSE)

Offer a format that displays the boolean value of a cell as a checked box if TRUE, unchecked box if FALSE, grayed box if text or other nonbool.

Bonus: Toggle value OnClick would be intuitive.

Lots of uses for this. Current options are awkward for users. Yes/No dropdown is not as good as a checkbox for touch/mobile.

120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base