Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. REPL

Add Excel REPL - code and see results in place:

1. modify/create sheets

2. modify/create charts

3. import/export data

4. integration with macros

5. html output window

6. widgets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Functions & Scoped Calculations

HI there,
    I'd like to suggest a fairly major improvement to Excel around Formulas and Functions which would be built on top of a scoping mechanism.

Often when working with an Excel spreadsheet I build out a set of formulas in a worksheet that I would like to use as a function in other areas of the workbook. A really good example would be a set of tax calculation tables that I then want to use to calculate tax on different wage amounts. The calculation can be quite complex so I can't express it in a single cell easily.

What…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Separate Update chart button, hotkey

Need separate option for run graphic update automatically and separate button for run chart calc. This seems to be very processor intensive and slows down large table updates that happen before chart updates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting idea. We’ll consider it in our next round of planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Axis title high-low option for charts.

For some unknown reason, excel chart always flips my data so that the first data point is at the bottom of the y axis. As a result, I always have to select 'reverse order' so that the data appears in the order that I type it. Annoying, but not a major problem. However, the x-axis title is now always at the top, and there is no option to select 'high' to place it at the bottom of the chart.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not able to reproduce the problem you are describing. Can you send me more explicit steps that are needed to reproduce it and a sample file?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. slicer and time axis should effect each other

I use a PivotTable with a slicer for years and a time axis with months, quarters and years. Slicer and time axis have no effect in filtering each other. If I choose a range in time axis, the slicer should be filtered, too. And also using the slicer should effect the Settings in the time scale / axis.
    Thanks ;-)
    Andreas

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve the precision of object placement on charts

Since Excel 10, the precision of placed objects like lines on charts has deteriorated. For example, drawing a 45 degree line on a chart from one corner to the other is very imprecise because it seems the cursor has trouble picking up the correct pixel in the chart axes corner. Sometimes the chart has to be resized to nail the placement down.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to provide a sample file that illustrates the problem or more specific repro steps?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

7. Discriminator values to color cells

Allow values to be used as color discriminators for scatterplots. Identify a column of values and specify a number of bins to base the colour discrimination. Change the colour for each bin and allow each bin to be a seperate series so that regression lines can be drawn.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow option to change gridline spacing for charts

Allow an option called "spacing" in "Major Gridline Options" in charts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. In the mean time, please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

9. CTRL+SHIFT+T not working to view Find window in the Italian Excel version

CTRL+SHIFT+T has always been the default shortcut to view the Find window in the Italian Excel and doesn't work any longer in Excel 2016. I hope it will be fixed before the new version. Please also add a way of customizing keyboard shortcuts like in MS Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. FIX dropdowns across versions

Quite often when you send an Excel file to someone who does not have the same version as the originator, the dropdowns don't work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Group raw data by Table Header

Group data by table headers to automatically band / group them up (a row header and a row footer separates the data in a table based on the grouping). A pivot table cannot produce this type of layout (i.e. header at the top and multiple aligned columns below it).

It would be great for those looking to make reports using Excel to be able to group low level data in a table. Business Objects, SQL Server Reporting Services, Access and lots of other MI reporitng apps can do this - by why cannot the worlds number 1 reporting software (Excel)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Suggestion for improving an Excel template

I can't find anywhere else to make this suggestion. Please don't come down too hard on me for doing it here.

Microsoft Excel has a fabulous Retirement Financial Planner template in Excel but one thing that is sorely missing is a field where I can enter an annual dollar amount that I wish to withdraw from my savings. Just a suggestion that I think would really improve an already great tool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Pre-formatted templates for data visualisation (e.g. tables, charts)

I see this as a modernisation, ease of use of good old excel for people who are not advanced users, or people who don't have time or many people who only need basic features - e.g. tables and (related) charts.

I love the idea I could just dump data and instantly have a nice outcome/visualisation, potentially in a box, so I could see the template coming alive as I dump/amend data.

To wrap up, all the user would need to do is to copy/paste data to populate the fields for the templates. No further action required from users, no need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the idea. I just want make sure I understand it. Are you suggesting that we automatically create a chart when data is put in the grid? If not, is there an example you could provide?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. Improve shortcuts so every Excel instaled machine has the same shortcut

Depend on the machine I have been working, shortcuts are different. Please, could you providing this improvement?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give me more details? Are all of the machines PCs? Mac/PC mix? What keyboard shortcuts are different (and how)?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

15. Copy filter criteria to a range

If a table has one or some more filter criterias you got a list of results. But when you copy this list or have a look at the result, you cannot see, which criterias had been set.

It would be great, if you could copy the list of criterias to a range or have a look to all criterias in an overview like the Name Manager.

Thanks for this opportunity to give feedback to you.
    Cheers
    Andreas (London)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Provide "after" methods

It would be great if all the BeforeXXX Events like

ProtectedViewWindowBeforeClose
    SheetBeforeDoubleClick
    WorkbookBeforeClose

get a similar event that fires when the job is done.
    Especially the BeforeClose event should definitely get a "AfterClose" or "Closed", it happens again and again that you would like to do stuff when 1 workbook actually gets closed and is gone for good.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow dynamic selection of data callouts/labels

I'd like to be able to say, for example, "show the label for the 2nd to last item in the series".

Many of the dashboards I see/create pull in data on refresh and this would allow one to create better visuals that require less futzing are refresh.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

18. Formula autocomplete - select with Spacebar

Excel's autocomplete on formulae is nice, except that there doesn't appear to be a shortcut key to actually accept the suggested formula. The only way to select it afaics is to pick up the mouse and click on it, which is annoying when your hands are on the keyboard.

Apologies if a shortcut key for this already exists, though I've never found it and I also checked here:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Formula-AutoComplete-6d13daa5-e003-4431-abab-9edef51fae6b

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Automatic update of text value in textboxes linked to cells and maintain the format of the text in textbox

Textboxes can be linked to cells for values / texts. But, if it is a dynamic connection, in the sense, if the value in the cell changes based on formulae, the textbox takes the first given value. Then, on, even if the cell value changes, the value in the text box does not change in the current scenario. Everytime, we need to press F2 and enter for the formula / datalink in the textbox to get updated. But after that, If we have to manually update the format of the text in the textbox. If both these activities can happen…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. FIX: Changing formats for one data label/callout impacts other lables/callouts in the same series

As is (in Excel 2013), when you want to change a label, often times, you end up also resetting the other labels as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base