Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase usable memory or switch to 64-bit Excel as recommended version.

Being limited to 2 GB of memory usage for Excel seems ridiculous in this day and age. Large files are more and more common, and the newer versions of excel (2013 and 2016), particularly VBA-containing sheets, seem to experience major performance changes based on how many files are open. Being forced to close all other sheets just to run VBA code in one is annoying.

Can you either make changes to increase the usable memory or make whatever shifts are necessary to be able to recommend the 64-bit version of excel as standard? At this point the performance impact of…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all, great news!

32-bit Excel 2016 build 16.0.6868.2060 onwards is enabled for Large Address Aware. This will allow 32-bit Excel 2016 to consume beyond 2 GB virtual memory… up to 3 GB on x86 Windows and 4 GB on x64 Windows. We believe this should help alleviate some of the out-of-memory related errors seen before when memory is constrained for 32-bit Excel, for more details see KB3160741 here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3160741

Also – I should note that this idea covered two topics – more memory for 32-bit Excel, as well as making 64-bit Excel the default/standard. I’ve created another idea on UserVoice that you can vote on if you’d like to see 64-bit Excel as the standard: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/13795662-create-a-64-bit-version-of-excel

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

2. Worksheet Undocking.

Undocking a worksheet. I would love to be able to undock a worksheet or two while working in a workbook. When creating formulas that cross reference other workbooks it becomes very time consuming to keep selecting another tab. It also disables the use of show precedent or dependent options. I use another bit of software called plan-swift that more or less runs on an excel type platform and it has this undocking option so I can put each worksheet on a separate screen It save lots of time and helps me be more accurate.

Currently I save copies of a…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

The ability to “keep a sheet on top or in a separate window” is available today. To accomplish this, head on over to the View ribbon and select “New Window.”

That will give you a second (or third, fourth, etc.) window that displays the same workbook, and you can independently navigate sheets, etc. to keep those you want ‘always visible’ available.

It’s a bit different interaction paradigm than the browser or IDE (SSL Mgmt Studio) where you “drag a tab”, but it accomplishes the same result.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

3. Add a select case function

=Selectcase(A1>89,"A",A1>79,"B",>69,"C",A1>"59,"D","F")

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Someone from the Office development team should respond to some of these issues.

Lots of people have taken the trouble to contribute ideas and issues about Microsoft products, but I haven't seen a single response from a Microsoft staff member on these forums. Are we just venting our anger here, or does Microsoft actually care about its customers?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re working to promote the usage of Excel User Voice sites through customer connection channels. If you hear someone asks “Will [feature x] ever be built in Excel? I really need it”, please immediately send them to http://excel.uservoice.com/ and ask them to submit their idea or else vote on it, if it already exists.

5. Excel 2016 crashes with large sheets and filtering

When opening a large file and start filtering, work with that filter, use a second filter dn remove one of the filters Excel crashes

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all, the original issue reported in this thread was due to Win10 changes in Accessibility. The fixes for this have been released for Excel 2013, Excel 2016 and Office 365 subscribers in March.

For more information, this thread has the discussion: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/excel-filtering-problemmatic-after-windows-10/f6f34982-d4e0-47b3-bd37-772fd51e0ff3.

thanks
    ash

Ashvini Sharma [MS]
    Excel

6. Optimize Performance with Excel reports connected to SSAS

Customers complain about poor performance when Excel is connected to SSAS. Please look at support case REG:115011912292884 for more details. Besides other things, we need to make MD perform equally well with PreferredQueryPatterns = 1. Also, in some cases Excel takes forever to refresh the metadata after clicking the Refresh button. This usually happens when there are a lot of calculations in the model, a new calculation is added, and Refresh is clicked. There are no pending queries to SSAS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-07-01 ====

Good news – as of the June release, we’ve completed work on this feature.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

== November 2015 ==

Hi Teo,

Thanks for logging this request. We’ve started working on several items to improve performance of Excel with SSAS, can’t wait to release them and get your feedback!

ash

7. Allow Charts to use data from hidden cells

As of now, if you group and/or hide cells that contain data going to a visualization, the visualization goes blank. I'd like to be able to hide data without losing the corresponding visual.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We actually support this feature in versions of Excel back to XL 2007. Here are the steps.

1) Select the chart
    2) from the chart “Design” tab in the ribbon click on the button “Select Data”
    3) In the dialog, click on the button called “Hidden and Empty Cells”
    4) In the dialog, check the box called “Show data in hidden rows and columns”

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Excel Ink Broken in NEW ways

Fix The Pen, Now. I spent $$$$$$ on the Surface Book, and now the main purpose of buying it is DEAD.

Specifically, Excel sporadically chooses when and when not to allow pen for inking. Sometimes there is an invisible box where writing isn't allowed. Sometimes it works okay, but I am literally in the cold sweat mode hoping it works each time. Maybe I need counseling?

By the way, I have an audience of 50-100 future business managers every day, watching me use this. I get a new group every 3-4 months. Guess what I complain about!?

Fix it. Then…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Black theme is back. Update to the latest update for Office 2016, and you can choose Black Theme as one of the options.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

10. HTML formatted files (with an XLS extension) no longer opened

Since a recent update HTML formatted files with .xls extension are no longer opened. When downloading such a file Excel opens but does not open the file anymore, it just shows a blank screen, no error message. This used to work for years and was very easy to create reports from our intranet by just sending HTML files with Excel headers out. Because of this we now have to re-engineer all reports, please bring the functionality back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

We’ve released a fix for this issue. I’m copying the official release notes for it here, as this is part of several different updates to several different versions of Office:

The Excel team has released a change in behavior in today’s security update for Excel 2010, 2013, and 2016. Excel will warn about the mismatch between the file extension and HTML content, but will now open the workbook in Protected View as an additional layer of security. If you trust the workbook, you can then enable editing. The behavior of .xla and .xlam files will remain the same.

How do I get the update? It depends on which version of Office you have.
    • Office 365 subscription (Click-to-Run)—install the latest updates
    • Windows Installer version (MSI)—you could wait about a week for the next security update for MSI, and it will update automatically. Or, to…

11. I would like to not have to select a range in VBA in order to to apply a Border. How to do it now: Range("J44:M44").Select With Selection.Bo

I would like to not have to select a range in VBA in order to to apply a Border.
    How to do it now:
    Range("J44:M44").Select
    With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeTop)
    .Weight = xlMedium
    End With

Change to, no selection :
    Range("J44:M44").Borders(xlEdgeTop).Weight = xlMedium
    Thanks, David

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news, that exact line of code you have there works just fine to apply borders, so you should be good to go.

Range(“J44:M44”).Borders(xlEdgeTop).Weight = xlMedium

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

12. Multiple charts when using Pivot charts that dont automatically update when Pivot table is changed

Currently when using pivot charts you can only have one chart, as when you make one chart from the select pivot data and then go to make another the first chart will change with e new pivot table options, so currently you have to make multiple pivot tables of the same data to have more than one chart, it would be better if you could have a option to stop the charts from updating automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Excel 2013, we introduced the ability for you to create a PivotChart independent of a PivotTable. Please give that a try and see if it meets your needs.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

13. Be able to use CSV as live datasource / database

There are several users editing a CSV file (it's easier, no license required, etc). I want to have a spreadsheet which will automatically load the CSV when I start Excell, populate the spreadsheet and update all the formulas. I will not change the CSV format, and it would be better to not re-import the CSV everytime. For example: all employees enter the time start and time end in the CSV. At the end ot the week, I start my spreadsheet and without any additional click, I see how much do I have to pay.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Here are the steps to get an automatic refresh from the csv file:
    •From a blank workbook select “From Text” in the “Get External Data” section of the Data tab
    •Use the Text Import Wizard to set how your csv file will be imported.
    •After you select Finish to exit the Import Wizard, a dialog box titled Import Text will come up.
    •Select the Properties button on this dialog box.
    •An External Data Range Properties box will come up.
    •In the Refresh Control section of the box, you should uncheck the “Prompt for file name on refresh” selection, set the frequency of refresh in minutes, and make sure there will be a refresh when you open the workbook.

You can return to the Properties box anytime by either right-clicking on the imported data in the worksheet or selecting “Connections” from the Data tab.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

14. Allow text font attribuates (bold, italics, underlines, superscipt, etc.) to be changed by Ctrl+... when editing graph title, axis labels, e

When editing a cell contents, a graph title, graph axis, etc., it would save time if we could change the font attributes of the selected text (bold, italics, etc.) by a Ctrl+... key combination, instead of going through popup menu > Font > dialog > OK button.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Don't autocorrect if you can't override (idiotic functionality keeps changing EHR to HER, but you can't undo like in Word or Outlook).

Get smart like iOS on your autocorrect. If you a user deletes/overrides your autocorrection right away, leave it alone. The way the feature is implemented in Excel leaves the user no choice but to turn it off.

Try it. Type EHR (as in Electronic Health Record) into a cell (with our without the leading single quote and watch it autocorrect to HER when you hit return or select another cell. Undo does not work (like it does in Word or Outlook).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been resolved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “HSA” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “HAS”. If you go back and type “HSA” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “HSA” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “HAS” back to “HSA”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

This fix is included in Excel for Mac if you have version 16.20 or greater, and Excel for Windows if you have version 16.0.11126 or greater.

16. removing sexist algorithms

Please can you allow "Mrs. and Mr." to be written in excel without excel autocorrecting to "Mrs. And Mr." because the traditional rules state that the man is first. I am writing letters to donors and I always put the donor in the first position and the associated donor in the second. Excel only auto capitalizes the "and" when it is in the Mrs. and Mr. position. This is a pain that it was written into the algorithm. And sexist. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been resolved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “Mrs. and Mr.” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “Mrs. And Mr.”. If you go back and type “and” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “Mrs. And” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “And” back to “and”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

This fix is included in Excel for Mac if you have version 16.20 or greater, and Excel for Windows if you have version 16.0.11126 or greater.

17. Stop Auto correcting certain words

Just as in Word when you type: i.e ihs, it will auto correct to "his" but it will place a little grey bar under that word that has a pull down menu allowing an option "Stop automatically correcting this word." Excel does not have that feature, must enter auto correct menu and use the exception menu to place it on the list. Change Excel to have same options as Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been greatly improved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “HSA” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “HAS”. If you go back and type “HSA” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “HSA” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “HAS” back to “HSA”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

This fix is included in Excel for Mac if you have version 16.20 or greater, and Excel for Windows if you…

18. stupid speling correction

hey hey hey ! what is this ! i am trying to type a name list (teh) excel change back (the) and keep changing and changing u think u fking god know what i want is it ! i HAVE NO TIME FOR TIS ****.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been resolved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “HSA” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “HAS”. If you go back and type “HSA” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “HSA” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “HAS” back to “HSA”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

19. Found an error in Excel 2016 help documentation

The results column in the help window for the index function just mirrors the formula. Looks like it's because there's an apostrophe before the formula. Not sure where to report this. Looks like it's the same for 2013 too.

Screen shot can be found here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-excel/found-an-error-in-excel-2016-help-documentation/410a27a3-0b3b-41c7-a99c-8fc2ff323542?tm=1472245876517

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the heads up. We’ve updated the topic, so the changes should go through shortly.

(And thanks Smitty for making the update!)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

20. error in support page

in the support page: https://support.office.com/it-it/article/Rilevare-gli-errori-nelle-formule-3a8acca5-1d61-4702-80e0-99a36a2822c1?ui=it-IT&rs=it-IT&ad=IT there's an error.

in particular at the point:
    Excel visualizza questo errore quando un valore non è disponibile per una funzione o una formula.

Se si usa una funzione come CERCA.VERT, il valore cercato ha una corrispondenza nell'intervallo di ricerca? Nella maggior parte dei casi non è così.

Provare a usare SE.ERRORE per eliminare l'errore #N/D. In questo caso si può usare:

=SE.ERRORE(CERCA.VERT(D2;$D$6:$E$8;2;VERO),0)

the correct formula is:

=SE.ERRORE(CERCA.VERT(D2;$D$6:$E$8;2;VERO);0)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re fixing this now, will likely take several days to propagate out to the internets.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base