Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When copying tabs, somtimes we have to cycle through 100s of "Yes" or "No" to the "Name already exists warning" Can we add Yes to All option

This is a major productivity killer for power users such as finance teams, and current UX does not help exit this state efficiently.

183 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

28 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news! We have released a few fixes to Insiders to address this issue. If you are on Insiders, please let us know if the fix has worked for you.

The fixes should be in build 11809.10000 and onwards.

-Joe McDaid [Excel Team]

2. What-if Data Table calc should use multi-threading

Calculation Performance of iterative what-if Data Tables is unnecessarily slow. The reasons seem to be (in priority sequence):
    - each iteration is using single-threaded recalculation rather than multi-threaded
    - the overhead for the whole table calculation looks larger than it should be
    - the process starts with a recalc, then does each iteration, then ends with a recalc: the first recalc is unnecessary
    - if the values to be used in one of the iterations are the same as the start values the recalc for that set of values could be skipped

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Many thanks to Charles for taking the time to analyze this in such detail and start the discussion about improving the efficiency of data tables. Please vote for this issue if it’s important to you so we can prioritize it appropriately.

Thanks,
    Steve (MS Excel)

3. Keep offline help for both EXCEL and VBA

Please return offline help like in Excel 2010 (for VBA and Excel)... It is enugh to have just basic offline help without totally up to date informations in 98% cases.
    Thank you.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel processor Bug - 99% usage

There is a bug with the processor usage, which extends up to 99% in some special situations.
    Since the latest version of the semi-annual channel, there is a new bug, which is also in the latest version of monthly channel.
    When you are opening a new excel sheet and copy one or more cells then you can start playing a little "processor-game". On the bottom there is a slide control, when you push it to the verry left (over the table sheets) the processor usage will grow up to 99%, when pushing it back to the right, the usage decreases.…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.

When you have one calculation-heavy workbook and distribute it to other people, it would be best if you could turn off calculation for only that workbook, without affecting the other workbooks these users are working on. It is confusing and outright dangerous in potential consequences that suddenly their workbooks do not calculate anymore. On the other hand, if the calculation is on, their whole excel freezes for a considerable amount of time every few keystrokes.

Suggestion: Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.
    There should be a popup when you open the…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix window drag lag due to high mouse polling rate

With high-end mice, having a higher poll rates greater than 200Hz will produce a lag - not fluid - while dragging the window

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel 2016 : ClearContents is 3 times slower than Excel2010

My customers reported me that my product (Excel Addin) becomes slower after they updated Excel from 2010 to 2016.
    By analyzing the problem it turned out that main reason of the slow performance is 'ClearContents'.
    I setup two same hardware condition machine. I installed Win10 into them. Then I installed Excel 2010 on the machine A.
    And I installed Excel 2016 on the machine B.
    By using the following code, I measured the time to ClearContens.

It takes 2859 ms on Excel2010 (A) . It takes 9719 ms on Excel2016 (B).

Generally thinking , a customer will expect faser performance…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Need a better distinction between "long calculation" and "frozen/crashed"

There are calculations so large and long that Excel is unresponsive until they are done. It will say something like "Book1 - Excel (Not Responding)" in the title bar. The GUI will not update and will fade if you try to click in it with your "hourglass" cursor.

If I didn't know any better (and I used to not know any better), I would assume that Excel was frozen and just kill the process and lose all of my saved work. But it isn't frozen. It's just taking a very long time. This should be made clear to the user…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please Please Please Bring Back MDI. SDI simply doesn't support the types of applications I have spent my career developing in Excel

Please bring back MDI for Excel. SDI is really slow, and crashes when I run the apps I've developed over my career that rely on multiple workbooks loaded simultaneously. Or re release 2010 and just call it the version for the folks who rely on MDI and there are a lot of us!!!!!!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. improve convert to number from right click menu

When Excel detects a range stored as text it gives a icon that you can click to convert the strings to numbers. This however is incredibly slow when applied to a range, it takes more than 1 sec per entry on my i5 windows machine. For a range of 1000+ this take unbearably long without opportunity to interrupt.

I wrote a VBA code that simply does a .value = .value and pastes the range back into the sheet. This is 100s of times faster that Excel's built in functionality. Please improve the built-in function's performance

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Better use of my processor's cores.

When I look at my task manager, Excel is usually only using approximately 14% of my CPU. I work with huge spreadsheets that take a long time to calculate. Why doesn't Excel use my idle processor cores / threads?

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Remove "Translate" from Excel

Remove "Translate" from Excel, you are ruining keyboard shortcuts. I do not need help translating "2" to "2" -- at least make this an option.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Implement Nvidia CUDA Parallel processing to decrease processing times on Nvidia powered machines

I am not entirely sure how this would be preformed but I have seen examples of excel using the processing power of a GPU to massively decrease calculation times when working with functions that can take advantage of the parallel processing that the GPU is capable off.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Re-order pinned workbooks

You should be able to rearrange the order of the pinned Excel workbooks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. sharing changes no longer allowing network sharing only one drive

we cannot share files on network drives since your change to only allow sharing on One Drive. Not everyone in our company has One Drive. Additionally, your help articles to unshare files in Legacy mode, does not work. The Legacy share options are all greyed out. This is causing us to completely recreate spreadsheets we depend on between departments.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Increase performance and responsiviness

Excel usability could be improved significantly, by improving performance in the following scenarios:
    1) Large file open / save processes should be multi-threaded, since new file format uses threadable compression.
    2) UI responsiviness should be improved (but I think this applies to all XAML/UWP code apps). Excel 2007 with forms is still 3-5 times faster than new ui.
    3) List views, could those use hashed lists and quicksort (yes, this would use more memory, but it would allow handling much larger lists and filters with 100 times faster than currently).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Most used currency symbols to be put at top of dropdown! T

Most used currency symbols to be put at top of dropdown!

This logic could be applied to many dropdowns but currency seemed a very good one to start with, as the list is ridiculously long when I'm sure the majority of users would use USD/GBP/CHI/EUR (have these ad default on top of list?) and by having it capture most used by each user, it would also benefit the minority that do use the likes of Tibetan currency frequently!

I have used excel sheets for 50% of my day for the past 10 years and could give along list of improvements…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow user to create multiple customized toolbars

Excel 2003 and prior had a wonderful feature - they allowed a user to create multiple customized toolbars with custom icons picked from a selection library or created in an image editor.

Pity Microsoft did away with that feature and replaced it with the disaster that they call a ribbon. It is sub-optimal for a power user and takes up too much screen space on a laptop.

Bring back the multiple customizable toolbars and keep the Excel 2010 feature that allows you to export the customization to a file and import on another Excel 2010 installation.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base