Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Workbook level calculation

We need the ability to calculate a single workbook when multiple workbooks are open.
    When working with multiple large slow workbooks which are often not even linked together (think multiple versions of the same workbook or a large mostly static workbook being referenced by a smaller rapidly changing workbook) you want to make changes and recalculate without globally recalculating all open workbooks.
    This should be implemented as
    a) New calculation setting (persistent) - Calculate Active Workbook Only - works for Automatic and Manual F9, but Ctrl/Alt/F9 would full calculate all open workbooks regardless of the setting.
    Automatic Calc in Active…

210 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the post Charles! And thanx to folks for voting. Much appreciated. We definitely understand the ask and are keeping a close eye on this as it is moving up the vote charts .

As always, please keep upvoting the things you are about most.

Thanx,
    Prash [MS XL]

2. Fix the black and grey boxes that cover the screen when you scroll

Whenever I scroll too fast in Excel on my PC black and grey boxes appear everywhere and cover what I am working on. This is incredibly frustrating because there is no way to get rid of the boxes.

This only happens on my external display and it only happens in Excel.

Please fix this issue.

https://superuser.com/questions/1053006/excel-grey-and-black-boxes-on-secondary-display

100 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

96 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey folks,

I am not seeing new recent activity in this space. It is possible you are seeing this less due to our on-going performance investments including in speeding up our grid rendering. Details on latest speedups are at https://aka.ms/excel-perf-improvements.

That said, if you still are experiencing this please provide specifics on your configuration and monitors… better still please send feedback about the problem from within Excel (go to Help > Feedback), which will include some diagnostics to aid our investigation.

thanx,
    Prash
    [MSFT]

3. What-if Data Table calc should use multi-threading

Calculation Performance of iterative what-if Data Tables is unnecessarily slow. The reasons seem to be (in priority sequence):
    - each iteration is using single-threaded recalculation rather than multi-threaded
    - the overhead for the whole table calculation looks larger than it should be
    - the process starts with a recalc, then does each iteration, then ends with a recalc: the first recalc is unnecessary
    - if the values to be used in one of the iterations are the same as the start values the recalc for that set of values could be skipped

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Many thanks Charles for analyzing and raising this issue! Also, many thanx to folks for voting as well. Please continue to vote for this issue if it’s important to you so we can prioritize it appropriately in the future.

Thanx,
    Prash [MS Excel]

4. Excel processor Bug - 99% usage

There is a bug with the processor usage, which extends up to 99% in some special situations.
    Since the latest version of the semi-annual channel, there is a new bug, which is also in the latest version of monthly channel.
    When you are opening a new excel sheet and copy one or more cells then you can start playing a little "processor-game". On the bottom there is a slide control, when you push it to the verry left (over the table sheets) the processor usage will grow up to 99%, when pushing it back to the right, the usage decreases.…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix window drag lag due to high mouse polling rate

With high-end mice, having a higher poll rates greater than 200Hz will produce a lag - not fluid - while dragging the window

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel 2016 : ClearContents is 3 times slower than Excel2010

My customers reported me that my product (Excel Addin) becomes slower after they updated Excel from 2010 to 2016.
    By analyzing the problem it turned out that main reason of the slow performance is 'ClearContents'.
    I setup two same hardware condition machine. I installed Win10 into them. Then I installed Excel 2010 on the machine A.
    And I installed Excel 2016 on the machine B.
    By using the following code, I measured the time to ClearContens.

It takes 2859 ms on Excel2010 (A) . It takes 9719 ms on Excel2016 (B).

Generally thinking , a customer will expect faser performance…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. There are Duplicate Shortcuts For Converting a List into Table, Let's use one them for another functionality

A Table has a lot more functionality than a List. Although there are 6 different ways of converting a List into a Table, Excel users find it easy to do that with a shortcut. Surprisingly there are 2 shortcuts performing the same exact task:
    CTRL + T (T stands for Table) or CTRL + L (L stands for List)
    Why should we reserve 2 shortcuts for the same action? let's keep only the relatively new one CTRL + T (users are familiar with this one)
    While Assign the older shortcut CTRL + L to copying to the left (L stands…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Need a better distinction between "long calculation" and "frozen/crashed"

There are calculations so large and long that Excel is unresponsive until they are done. It will say something like "Book1 - Excel (Not Responding)" in the title bar. The GUI will not update and will fade if you try to click in it with your "hourglass" cursor.

If I didn't know any better (and I used to not know any better), I would assume that Excel was frozen and just kill the process and lose all of my saved work. But it isn't frozen. It's just taking a very long time. This should be made clear to the user…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Better use of my processor's cores.

When I look at my task manager, Excel is usually only using approximately 14% of my CPU. I work with huge spreadsheets that take a long time to calculate. Why doesn't Excel use my idle processor cores / threads?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel Open file in multi instance by default

Hi We need to open a new instance of Excel by deflaut each time we open an excel file. The following solution are not suitable.

you can start a new Excel instance (process) by doing the following:
    run “Excel /x” (without quotes)
    or the DisableMergeInstance regkey because it works only when you open excel first and then open the file. It does not works double clicking on an excel file. Don't give one of those solution (https://excelgorilla.com/excel/general/open-multiple-instances-excel/) as we need it to be by default as Excel 2010 behavior.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Re-order pinned workbooks

You should be able to rearrange the order of the pinned Excel workbooks.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. improve convert to number from right click menu

When Excel detects a range stored as text it gives a icon that you can click to convert the strings to numbers. This however is incredibly slow when applied to a range, it takes more than 1 sec per entry on my i5 windows machine. For a range of 1000+ this take unbearably long without opportunity to interrupt.

I wrote a VBA code that simply does a .value = .value and pastes the range back into the sheet. This is 100s of times faster that Excel's built in functionality. Please improve the built-in function's performance

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Side Scrolling

Some mainstream Microsoft products already support side scrolling inputs from mouse inputs that are capable of doing so with a notable exception of Excel. Ironically, I feel Excel would benefited the most of this feature. I understand that a user can side scroll with the Scroll Lock enabled but if the user already has their hand on the mouse to scroll vertically then it would make sense to allow horizontal scrolling.

Again, this capability is natively there for may popular applications with the notable exception of Excel.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jon

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Implement Nvidia CUDA Parallel processing to decrease processing times on Nvidia powered machines

I am not entirely sure how this would be preformed but I have seen examples of excel using the processing power of a GPU to massively decrease calculation times when working with functions that can take advantage of the parallel processing that the GPU is capable off.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. GET YOUR_FUCKING UPDATES AVAILABLE BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT

GET YOURFUCKING UPDATES AVAILABLE BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. FUCKYOU_MICROSOFT.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow user to create multiple customized toolbars

Excel 2003 and prior had a wonderful feature - they allowed a user to create multiple customized toolbars with custom icons picked from a selection library or created in an image editor.

Pity Microsoft did away with that feature and replaced it with the disaster that they call a ribbon. It is sub-optimal for a power user and takes up too much screen space on a laptop.

Bring back the multiple customizable toolbars and keep the Excel 2010 feature that allows you to export the customization to a file and import on another Excel 2010 installation.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Change the border color around the selected cell

I frequently use Ctrl+F shortcut to find data withing a huge spreadsheet on fast paced meeting calls. Often, the green border is not enough to differentiate the searched cell quickly, it gets lost in the field of view. Please, add a feature that changes the border color - or cell color when selected. Just make it easier to make it different so it can be found quickly. Thank you thank you

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add save capability in Power Query

While working in Power Query the save option is not available and the autosave feature is disabled, thus we need to "close and load" the query, wait for the query to load and then we can save.
    When sometimes the application or computer crashes, we can lose hours of works.
    The possibility of saving the workbook while working in Power Query would be good

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remove "Translate" from Excel

Remove "Translate" from Excel, you are ruining keyboard shortcuts. I do not need help translating "2" to "2" -- at least make this an option.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base